Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #21
Drive Shaft Dave

Default Re: A Venice Police Model A Fills up with Purr-Pull Gasoline in 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Notice how they sprayed the entire car white including the roof insert. Looks like they forgot to mask one end of the headlight bar. I was also wondering about the front bumper on a car that new.
That paint job must have been an Earl Schieb special. Or maybe Macco.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #22
Chris Haynes

Another view.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #23
ericr

I don't see sirens on the car even though one motorcycle seems to have one. I am sure there was a whole small industry back then that supplied police-type accoutrements.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Purdy, I like those. But a bow tie? Nope.
Ray, I've got to agree that a bow tie does look silly .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #25
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Being all white & not showing siren, plus nothing on doors saying Police or City, I wonder if this could be a Medics car ?/
I don't know about that era but when I was a kid, there were no EMS units operated by municipal authorities-----ambulances were maintained by funeral homes (kind of ironic, isn't it).

Maybe my mentor HL can shed some light on when fire departments went into the emergency medical service.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I don't know about that era but when I was a kid, there were no EMS units operated by municipal authorities-----ambulances were maintained by funeral homes (kind of ironic, isn't it).

Maybe my mentor HL can shed some light on when fire departments went into the emergency medical service.
Back about 1980 I saw a combination ambulance/hearse for sale for $700. It was about 15 years old. That town also had a combination furniture store/funeral home.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
Fordors

Quote:

In Chicago the fire department began providing ambulance service in the late '20's but it was very rudimentary, basically just a transport service with some first aid provided. I can clearly remember 1957 Cadillac, long wheelbase conversions being used probably into the early '60's. When they decided to upgrade to EMS service I do not recall, but I would think that was the '70's.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Back about 1980 I saw a combination ambulance/hearse for sale for $700. It was about 15 years old. That town also had a combination furniture store/funeral home.
That was real common.

In the second picture the bumper looks straighter? Maybe a slope in the driveway at that point? I guess you'd have to measure the distance from the tire to the fender? To see if they are the same?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #29
45GPW

Quote:

The modern protocols for EMS in the US were established in 1970 and were based on studies done in the 1960s. It took a while after that for all states and subordinate agencies to conform. It really depends on the location. Some large cities had municipally-operated EMS long before 1970, but the standards for service were largely uncontrolled.

Even to this day, not all fire departments provide both EMS first-response and EMS transport (ambulance). Many fire departments just provide EMS first-response. EMS transport or ambulance service is handled by a contract provider, which is often a private company; e.g., American Medical Response (AMR).

Funeral services connected to furniture shops or manufacturers date back to the 1800s or earlier. They had the means to build wooden coffins as well as furniture. IOW, they could provide cradle to grave service.

Ambulance services were sometimes connected to funeral homes. There wasn't a great deal of difference between a hearse and an ambulance in terms of carrying bodies. One carried them on a stretcher and the other carried them in a box.

Many hospitals also operated ambulances and some still do, as do some rest homes for BLS (EMS-B, basic life support) or non-emergency transport.

Regarding the Model A in the photos, I'd guess it's just a regular police car with a fresh coat of paint and not yet adorned with decals or other identification. The driver isn't in plain clothes, just dressed differently than the motorcycle officers. He's wearing a policeman's cap and badge.

The paint job is definitely Earl Scheib ("paint any car any color for $19.95") or Maaco or Miracle style, but none of those companies were around in the early 1930s, so now we have proof that they didn't invent the lousy paint job.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #30
peters180a/170b

A all WHITE Model "A" .... Only in C.A......l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #31
Skeezixx

A coupe would seem an unlikely choice for a squad car. What would keep the suspects from jumping out of the rumble seat on the way to the station?

Also:
A bow tie would seem appropriate if the uniform required neck wear. Imagine a four in hand in the wind.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
Skeezixx

Quote:
That town also had a combination furniture store/funeral home.
How handy. The dearly departed could be laid out in the showroom window for maximum viewing by all passersby!
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
Purdy Swoft

I suppose if the funeral home ambulance took its time they would have another customer. I remember an incident in the early 60s when a certain funeral home ambulance had to stop at a gas station and gas up while a gun shot victim was being transported. Needless to say, the gunshot victim didn't make it to the hospital before passing away , even though the local hospital was only a couple of miles up the road.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #34
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
A coupe would seem an unlikely choice for a squad car. What would keep the suspects from jumping out of the rumble seat on the way to the station?

Also:
A bow tie would seem appropriate if the uniform required neck wear. Imagine a four in hand in the wind.
In those days suspects were transported in Paddy Wagons. Not in cars.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #35
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post

Also:
About twenty of us from our club restored the Minnesota Highway patrol car, which is a 1930 Model A Coupe.

That was a dozen years ago and I think my "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" card has expired.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #36
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Notice how they sprayed the entire car white including the roof insert. Looks like they forgot to mask one end of the headlight bar. I was also wondering about the front bumper on a car that new.
Was MAACO in existence back then?

Maybe it was a way of waterproofing the top, filli n the holes with paint!!!!

Maybe the driver ran a milk company???

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post

The Venice, California Police Fill up with Purr-Pull Gasoline: Purr-Pull gasoline looked just like it sounds – it was purple – Part of it’s name came from the fuel’s good pulling power. See five more great photos and learn more on The Old Motor.
These photos sure give me a few ideas for next year!!!! Great photos...priceless.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #38
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

About 9 months ago I looked at a 29 Coupe here in Southern California. Body was painted White with black fenders. It had Arizona plates and the guy said he bought it from a sheriff in Arizona who was going to put sheriff's badges on the doors. He took it to Texas and stored for several years and brought it to California to sell.

I didn't buy it because it didn't have many original parts and also, I didn't want to hassle with DMV.
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #39
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I suppose if the funeral home ambulance took its time they would have another customer. I remember an incident in the early 60s when a certain funeral home ambulance had to stop at a gas station and gas up while a gun shot victim was being transported. Needless to say, the gunshot victim didn't make it to the hospital before passing away , even though the local hospital was only a couple of miles up the road.
I think I can shed some light on the funeral home ambulance service. Many decades ago, like in the '20s and '30s, and maybe even later, a common attitude was that many people went to hospitals just to die. Of course the medical technology was more primitive back then, doctors made house calls (for what it was worth), children were often delivered at home, etc.
I don't think many of us want to return to Model "A" standards of medical practice.