Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
columbiA

Default Re: Touring with a Model A ?

I have been driving "A",s since 1953,and I would routinely drive about 400 miles a day when on a long trip.Nowdays,250 miles a day is enough.I have never had a breakdown that required more than a1/2 hr to repair on the side of the road.I have also been using a Columbia overdrive since 1960 & also have the same O D in my other "A" as well.To me,an O D is a necessity if you truly want to drive your car.If you just use the car to piddle around town in or use in a parade a few times a year,then you dont need O D.I would much rather go on a coast-to-coast trip in an "A" than a 10 year old computerized car.At least I know the "A" would get me home.As for towing an "A",that would only happen if I was bringing home a parts car.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
modeleh

As the years go on, it is harder and harder to maintain a simple lifestyle with simple things. Many of us now have daily drivers that have EFI and computer controlled and sensored everything and not even the dealer mechanics can figure them out. Even a new clothes washer has a digital control and PC board inside. When these things give us trouble, sometimes it makes you wish for the old stuff you can still fix.
That being said, I think with today's technology it is easier to travel "worry free" long distances in an old car than ever before.
There was a guy on the Hamb forum who threw caution to the wind and flew across the country to buy an old Suburban and drove it home. He had a cell phone with a data plan, and he posted pictures of his trip to a thread like this one, from the side of the road. He had all kinds of problems, and for about a week, he posted which town he was broken down in and what his issues were, sometimes he would get advice over the internet, sometimes someone would get out of their computer chair and go help the guy.
I thought it was great to follow along with this guys trip, even though I was too far away to be of any physical help to him.
If you take your A on a long trip, you have a huge resource here with the members of the Fordbarn, and if you have troubles, I'm sure there will be help close by. Sometimes the technology we have at our disposal today is really great.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
Karl

I drive mine as much as I can . I have on many ocassions driven more than 200 miles to start a rally. The Model A is pretty forgiving and pretty easy to fix on the side of the road if anything does go wrong (Only ever happened twice to me -Ammeter failure and Ignition lock failure -Both fixed at the roadside)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Popeye31

What part of Mississippi are you in? Im in Louisiana and if the trip you are going to take is on a weekend I would love to tag along as long as I can get back home for work on monday. I drive my 29 CCpu to Crusin The Coast from Kenner Louisiana and its a easy 100 miles and then I drive all over the coast to the different stops. would drive 300 with out batting an eye. The guys in my club think im cray driving the little truck as much as I do. I keep a few items in my tool box just in case but like most I usually use the stuff on club memebers cars. and thats probably do to the fact that I drive mine and fix anything that doesn't feel right as soon as it happens. There is a guy in my club that took his 30 CCPU on a 3,000 mile trip and drove it not trailered it.feel free to pm me if you would like some company.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #25
Richard in Anaheim CA

Ivory,

We've talked before and I'm with you. We regularly drive to MAFCA conventions from SoCal. We missed driving to Marquette but we did attend. The last long trip was to Vancouver Canada two years ago. We have driven to Kansas City, Calgary Canada, Reno, Pikes Peak, Portland OR and 49 of the 50 states. Even been to MIssissiippi.

My parents lived to be 88 and 97. Both were active pretty much until they died. When I suggested we go on a cruise for their 65th anniversary, my mom said "what if something happend to one of us". I said "Then it will happen when you are having the time of your life instead of on the couch watching TV". She said "I think you are right" and we went.

If you are interested, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you some of my daily blogs with pictures on our 9151 mile 40 state "Ride along with Rich & Jeanne trip 3 years ago.

Start with some short rides of 1000 miles or so. The MAFCA Blueridge tour next year would be a good one for you.

Richard
Anaheim CA [email protected]
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #26
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
"Maybe the bullets exit the gun faster??"

Stupid as it may sound, Mythbusters tried to test that theory.
Wasted time.
Pretending to have recoil?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Two words that keep popping up in this thread that has caused me to think about is Spare Parts. Other than maybe a condenser, what "spare parts" do we think we actually need to have? I often read about guys carrying spare carburetors, spare water pumps, spare distributors, spare generators, etc ...and I cannot help but think how all these items make up the weight of another individual's body!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #28
ronn

As Seth says, sign up for the 100 mile tow premium package from 3 A. You get 4 free 100 mile tows a year. I am sure that is more then enough with your skills and wherewithall.
Cost is around 100.
Have fun and don't worry about the scratches!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #29
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Two words that keep popping up in this thread that has caused me to think about is Spare Parts. Other than maybe a condenser, what "spare parts" do we think we actually need to have? I often read about guys carrying spare carburetors, spare water pumps, spare distributors, spare generators, etc ...and I cannot help but think how all these items make up the weight of another individual's body!
In the 70's when my only car was a '29 Roadster I carried a modern equivalent to the original tool kit, spare points and condenser, and a spare generator cutout since I didn't trust the repro on the car. After carrying this stuff for tens of thousands of miles I ended up loaning the cutout to a friend! BTW, I've never had an overdrive.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #30
John LaVoy

Touring is where the fun is! I have organized long distance tours over the years and have take from 20-30 couples along with me over the past few years on the Model A Times Summer Tours. This last tour had some participants doing over 7,000 miles in about 30 days. Setting up the Model A for the traveling is important. I will be having a seminar on this at the MAFCA national banquet in Charleston SC in December.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
In the 70's when my only car was a '29 Roadster I carried a modern equivalent to the original tool kit, spare points and condenser, and a spare generator cutout since I didn't trust the repro on the car. After carrying this stuff for tens of thousands of miles I ended up loaning the cutout to a friend! BTW, I've never had an overdrive.
Exactly!! Thank you for that.

Does anyone remember when Rainmaker Ron made that trek in a Model-A sedan. Maybe Vince listed it on his website? It should be great for inspiration in showing a trailer load of spare parts are not necessary.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
ivoryjohn

Quote:
Exactly!! Thank you for that.

Does anyone remember when Rainmaker Ron made that trek in a Model-A sedan. Maybe Vince listed it on his website? It should be great for inspiration in showing a trailer load of spare parts are not necessary.
There is a list of suggested spares to carry on a cruise that list about 80 items total. My pal adds to that list when he goes cruising jumper cables. It does seem excessive for everybody to carry generators, water pumps, starters and such but it would be nice to have one if needed on tour. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to assign parts for a trip to different club members if we are all driving Model A's. "Bob's got a starter and Joe has points." I can see it wouldn't work if you had other cars in the mix but it seem a natural for a Model A cruise. At a minimum you could identify a car with all the parts and the rest could comfortably leave the extra crap at home.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Vince actually has those Rainmaker Ron stories hosted HERE. Click on the Sleeping Beauty link for some inspiration on touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryjohn View Post
There is a list of suggested spares to carry on a cruise that list about 80 items total. My pal adds to that list when he goes cruising jumper cables. It does seem excessive for everybody to carry generators, water pumps, starters and such but it would be nice to have one if needed on tour. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to assign parts for a trip to different club members if we are all driving Model A's. "Bob's got a starter and Joe has points." I can see it wouldn't work if you had other cars in the mix but it seem a natural for a Model A cruise. At a minimum you could identify a car with all the parts and the rest could comfortably leave the extra crap at home.
I think the whole point is be resourceful in just repairing what you have. If a starter goes bad, use the crank! A Model-A engine will run a long time on just the battery (w/o a generator!). There is no ned for a spare carburetor. Properly rebuild the one on the car and then make any repair to that one if something should happen while driving. How bad do points need to be before you need an extra set? Dress the ones you have installed and they are good for another 1,000 miles or so. My point was/is in this is know your car, ...and know how to use your head & hands to make a simple repair to get you going again.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-07-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Overheating is one of the more common problems I see listed for the Model A, but no one has mentioned carrying a spare radiator!

A spare fan belt, points, condenser and coil should get you home. As mentioned, all those spare heavy parts aren't needed, and if they were, then the Model A wasn't prepared for the trip in the first place. Most of the roadside repairs I've heard about or helped with have been due to lack of lubrication or lack of proper restoration of each part.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
newshirt

Below is my link to a 1,000 mile Model T trip. Only minor mechanical difficulties experienced.

After driving the T's for a 1,000 miles, I hopped in my A... and what a huge difference! I have no doubt that stock Model A's can go thousands of miles without breakdown. No need for overdrive, alternator, juice, blinkers, four blade, six blade, hundred blade, whatever... A stocker is all you need!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...hlight=sturgis
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #36
Huckster Dave

Interesting thread. I just say that when it is time to cash in your chips it is time. It won't matter to our Maker if you are in a T, A, or a Rolls Royce.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
Logan

I dont understand the neglect to admit the model a breaks down. It is a reliable car, but shit happens. If you show up at a national meet, cars that were driven to the meet all have some spare parts. The majority of the cars that were driven far distances (ex. cali to texas) will be loaded down with parts. I dont leave the dfw metroplex without my full toolbox and spare parts, because i dont want to be stuck somewhere, or if i can just throw on my spare instead of figuring out the short in a distributor on the side of the road, then im going to put in my spare. Ive said this many times before my car is loaded down with parts when i go to regional/national tours. In fact i really try not to unpack my car, in between tours so i'm loaded up the majority of the time.

In my trunk on the trunk rack, i carry a tool box loaded with short and deep sockets, extensions, several different sizes of screwdrivers, dikes, different types of pliers, 1/2 drive ratchet with socket to fit the crank pully nut, and many other misc tools, small parts. I also carry in my trunk a rubber mallet, starter, alternator, zenith carb (for others, i have a weber on my car) cotter pins, 2 jugs of water, and a fan... yes if fit all this in my trunk. in the rumble seat compartment i carry my luggage, and a box full of misc parts such as tubes, distributors, fan belts, hydraulic brake fluid, coils, and some other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head. Under my seat is a full engine gasket set, torque wrench, spare ignition parts, some trouble shooting manuals, timing gear, timing gear wrench, and a few other things. My brothers car is set up almost the same way, except he carries less tools, and more stuff like water, towls, majority of luggage, coolers, points, condensers, carbs, distributors, water pump, fan, and a jack. We are prepared for whatever might go wrong, where ever we go. That makes more sense to me than to not have something you may need in the middle of no where.

My old boss Ross Lilleker has driven his model T's all over, including from texas to alaska. He had a crank snap on him one time on a tour, and they were stuck. So before him and a buddy left to go on the next big tour in his buddy's car he threw a crank in the back seat with them, and guess what that crank snapped too and they put in his spare crank in a garage and were on the road the next day. Hes replaced pinion gears on the side of the road in a ditch, and theres many other stories. The fact of the matter is, he was able to continue on all the tours, because he was prepared and no one wants to have to be towed home or wait on a wrecker in the middle of the boonies in the summer heat.

I Know what i carry in my cars is a little bit of an overkill for most people. My brother even gets mad that i over pack, but our family has had A's and been touring in them since the 40's so we were always taught to be prepared for the un expected. You dont have to have what i pack in my car to be able to take long distance tours, but i do feel better knowing its there if i need it. Back when i had stock everything power train wise, except for overdrive, i still could keep up with everyone climbing hills and going down the road just fine.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #38
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I dont understand the neglect to admit the model a breaks down. It is a reliable car, but shit happens. If you show up at a national meet, cars that were driven to the meet all have some spare parts. The majority of the cars that were driven far distances (ex. cali to texas) will be loaded down with parts. I dont leave the dfw metroplex without my full toolbox and spare parts, because i dont want to be stuck somewhere, or if i can just throw on my spare instead of figuring out the short in a distributor on the side of the road, then im going to put in my spare. Ive said this many times before my car is loaded down with parts when i go to regional/national tours. In fact i really try not to unpack my car, in between tours so i'm loaded up the majority of the time.

In my trunk on the trunk rack, i carry a tool box loaded with short and deep sockets, extensions, several different sizes of screwdrivers, dikes, different types of pliers, 1/2 drive ratchet with socket to fit the crank pully nut, and many other misc tools, small parts. I also carry in my trunk a rubber mallet, starter, alternator, zenith carb (for others, i have a weber on my car) cotter pins, 2 jugs of water, and a fan... yes if fit all this in my trunk. in the rumble seat compartment i carry my luggage, and a box full of misc parts such as tubes, distributors, fan belts, hydraulic brake fluid, coils, and some other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head. Under my seat is a full engine gasket set, torque wrench, spare ignition parts, some trouble shooting manuals, timing gear, timing gear wrench, and a few other things. My brothers car is set up almost the same way, except he carries less tools, and more stuff like water, towls, majority of luggage, coolers, points, condensers, carbs, distributors, water pump, fan, and a jack. We are prepared for whatever might go wrong, where ever we go. That makes more sense to me than to not have something you may need in the middle of no where.

My old boss Ross Lilleker has driven his model T's all over, including from texas to alaska. He had a crank snap on him one time on a tour, and they were stuck. So before him and a buddy left to go on the next big tour in his buddy's car he threw a crank in the back seat with them, and guess what that crank snapped too and they put in his spare crank in a garage and were on the road the next day. Hes replaced pinion gears on the side of the road in a ditch, and theres many other stories. The fact of the matter is, he was able to continue on all the tours, because he was prepared and no one wants to have to be towed home or wait on a wrecker in the middle of the boonies in the summer heat.

I Know what i carry in my cars is a little bit of an overkill for most people. My brother even gets mad that i over pack, but our family has had A's and been touring in them since the 40's so we were always taught to be prepared for the un expected. You dont have to have what i pack in my car to be able to take long distance tours, but i do feel better knowing its there if i need it. Back when i had stock everything power train wise, except for overdrive, i still could keep up with everyone climbing hills and going down the road just fine.
Jordan, I think you are comparing totally two different cars, ...and two different items regarding tools vs. spares. No one is saying they don't break down nor that you shouldn't carry tools but re-evaluate what is being said by others, then you.

First off, a Model-T is much more primitive in engineering and manufacturing than what an 'A' is. They are going to break with more frequency however there is probably as many if not more long distance touring done with the T's than A's.

Second, Ross is a very wise individual when it comes to things mechanical but based on the stories you tell, I refer you back to my first point. These deal with a much more primitive vehicle.

Now when I look over your list, I cannot help but question "why" on some things. I am relisting them taken from your text above:

a rubber mallet, For doing what? Why not a regular hammer and be done?
starter, Rebuild the one on the vehicle properly and then carry a crank!
alternator, Again, a generator is easy to work on and reliable when properly rebuilt.
zenith carb (for others, i have a weber on my car) Why? What breaks on a carburetor that cannot be repaired on the side of the road??
cotter pins, OK but a length of safety wire serves multiple uses.
2 jugs of water, Again, WHY?? Repair/restore the car properly and there is not a need to carry water.
a fan REALLY? Why is a fan even needed?
tubes A good spare tire can usually get you to the next town where there is a tire repair shop that can fix the flat tire.
distributors I realize WHY is becoming a redundant word but why does someone need to carry multiple extra distributers? Restore the one in the vehicle and use it for 25,000 miles!!
fan belts A fan belt should not have any tension. If the one on the vehicle is become aged, replace it and be done with it. No need to carry multiple belts either in my view!
hydraulic brake fluid Surely you didn't just say that!!
coils I have never known a coil just to quit totally. They will generally work long enough to get you to town to find a replacement, -which when you replace it you will likely find that wasn't the culprit anyway.
other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head.
a full engine gasket set, I have never known a copper head gasket that could not be re-used, and a small tube of silicone or Permatex can be used when the original gasket cannot be reused as-is.
torque wrench, Hummmm.... Is this really necessary?
spare ignition parts, I thought you already had several distributors??
trouble shooting manuals ?????
timing gear I recommend if someone is planning on touring many miles, just use an aluminum and be done with it. For the price of the one on the engine and the spare one, it is cheaper to purchase the aluminum one.
timing gear wrench See above, but in a pinch, a punch & hammer will suffice adequately.
a few other things. wow.........

Jordan, I can honestly see how your brother would be frustrated wih you carry all those items. Like Tom mentioned above, what are you going to do if a radiator seam starts leaking? What would you do if the ammeter blows? What would you do if the gas tank starts leaking? Playing what-ifs and trying to prepare for each and every possibility is just a crutch in my opinion. Being able to make due with what you have at that time is what makes a great mechanic. IMO you have the ability to be a great mechanic, ....leave all that "excess baggage" at home and prove it to yourself.

BTW, I actually have toured quite a bit with Ross & Jennifer, Michael McDonald (and Rachel), the Cordes boyz, etal. Just was with them in Rutland Vermont a month or so ago.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I dont understand the neglect to admit the model a breaks down. It is a reliable car, but shit happens.
That goes for your modern (or even NEW) car but a person with moderate skills can keep a Model A on the road. Not so easy (but doable for some) to deal with failed electronics in our modern cars.

Quote:
... or if i can just throw on my spare instead of figuring out the short in a distributor on the side of the road, then im going to put in my spare.
I don't let anybody else work on my distributors so I can honestly say I will never have a short to ground in my lifetime. However, those that run electronic conversions SHOULD carry a spare or parts to convert it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryjohn View Post
There is a list of suggested spares to carry on a cruise that list about 80 items total. My pal adds to that list when he goes cruising jumper cables.
80 items? Wow! It seems it would be easier and cheaper to take someone along that can fill in for those mechanical skills lacking by the owner! As far as jumper cables, there is only one set of circumstances that would ever require them. Some engines always shut down and come to rest with the points closed. If you park the car at night (or for most of a day) and forget to turn off the ignition the battery can become drained enough that it won't even produce a spark while hand cranking or pushing the car. In most cases you can hustle some cables from someone. That scenario can possibly take out your coil however.

Quote:
There is no need for a spare carburetor. Properly rebuild the one on the car and then make any repair to that one if something should happen while driving.
That is making it even more difficult than need be. Yes, properly rebuilt is nice but NOT necessary. The carb will work the same when you return home as it did those times preceding the trip. While it's conceivable that someone could lose a loose carb jet I've never heard of it happening. Other than that the carb won't simply "break". The only thing that can go wrong is an obstruction but that carb was designed to deal with that in less time than changing it. In Toronto we were headed out on the tour in the Roadster. I pulled out of the hotel parking lot onto the main road. The engine started sputtering with no power so I pulled the choke out some to force more fuel in. It clearly made a difference but I couldn't get it to clear out. I pulled off the road and removed the lower half of the carb with a 9/16" wrench. I removed some mosquito wings, slapped it back together, and we were on our way.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #40
Jordan

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;494500]Jordan,

[COLOR=black]Jordan, I can honestly see how your brother would be frustrated wih you carry all those items.

Logan was the one who made the comments, not me. But I'm not really sure why you worry about what's in our cars. We don't just carry for ourselves, we carry for everyone on the tours because it's easier to slap a spare part on the car than to bitch at someone for not preparing their car properly. We don't just go up to the ice cream store like a lot of people. It's not uncommon to go on 1,000 mile trips over a three day weekend or something. I still think it's better to be prepared than to be underprepared. it's easier the put on an extra carb than to wait for the one that's on the car to cool down, then take it off, fiddle with it, put it back on and then maybe it'll work.

A lot of Model A, or in your case also a lot of Model T people trailer their cars to tours, then drive them around on the tours, and then load them back up. It's not necessary to carry a lot of parts for people like that because if something breaks, just load it up on the trailer.