Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Birchwood

Default Planning a trip to Hershey

Howdy,
I have been a member of this site for a while now but have not posted much, I like reading the post and checking the swap meet. But now I wanted to ask for any advice about Hershey auto show.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hershey PA in Oct. and was wondering if ther was any tips or advice of what to be aware of or beware of. I am traveling from Birchwood TN (close to Chattanooga) we have made our motel arrangements and are planning on being there on Wed, Thurs, Friday.

I have a 31 roadster pickup that needs alot of love and lots of parts, it runs and drives but it has had alot of homemade fabricated body parts, I have been tring to find some things online and had little luck. We have not been to a swap meet and thought this would be the best start. And I convinced my wife it would be a great anniversary trip and she agreed and added a swing over trip to visit to her family in MD......But hey I get what I want and so does she

Thanks in advance, all advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Richard Wilson

Default Re: Planning a trip to Hershey

Car show is on Saturday. Worth staying the extra day.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Wed,thur An FRI ARE THE BEST DAYS TO BE THERE. Be prepared to walk your feet off.Parking is $10 per day and getting parking close to the field be early as you can,in the morn.People are walking around at daybreak.You will find your parts there.ken ct. Hershey Vendor but no "A" parts. 99% V8 parts.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
larrys40

I've always done best at the swap Wednesday and Thursday. If you can come back for the car show on Saturday Morning and see until noon or so it is well worth it to see them all, and then head for the hills of Tennessee. You will not be disappointed ( unless it rains) . We vend Model A parts on the last row of orange before the car show... a great spot to get in and out and accessible to the car show in a few minutes./ Come see us and don't miss the car show! We'll have Model A & Moon stuff. Look for the Moon Banner
Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Birchwood

A friend suggested a wagon, but another said at NC meet, volunteers in golf carts would pick up your stuff and take it to the gate for a donation. Just wondering if I needed to have a wagon or cart.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Bruce Adams

If your wife isn' t in MD during Hershey she might wish to drop you off after breakfast and she can go antiquing and/or shopping or touristing in Harrisburg, picking you up at 6 PM or so to go to dinner.
Find out about this year's car auction's generally in downtown Hershey, at Hershey Inn or Hershey Lodge. They are similar to the ones you see on TV.

The Special Interest clubs usually have their meeting Thursday afternoon. These would be like Cabriolet, Town Car, etc clubs.

Go the CHILI FEST at MARC Booth, noon, Thursday to meet Fordbarners and such.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Birchwood

My wife will be with me, she wants to go to the swap meet but who knows after the first day, but hey the chili fest sounds like a plan, looking forward to meeting some of you guys. Hope its ok to ask questions because I have plenty of them
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Sounds like that "swing" trip to MD was a good "investment".
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
peters180a/170b

Bring lots of C A S H and in small bills.... $20.00 , $10.00 5's. and $1.00 ..First thing buy a program with the listing of all vendors...1931 Roadster pickup [look for BROOKVILLE ROADSTER ] .. sheet metal parts. or the complete body ... box or what ever you need in sheet metal.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Richard in Anaheim CA

Birchwood,

You and your wife will both have a good time. My wife went with me reluctantly about 7 years ago. She had more fun and bought more than I did.

You will most likely find what you are looking for but bring $$$. Things tend to be pricey. I take my swap cart every time. After you have picked up a few things it gets awkward to carry without a cart or wagon. They will haul you things for you but it wouldn't be worth it to send a few smaller things. You'd have to go to the car with them and walk back. It's a REALLY BIG place. Take two umbrellas and a plastic ponchos.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Brian LI

Make sure you have a GOOD pair walking shoes on. The swap meet is all on pavement and you WILL walk miles and miles over the 2 or 3 days you will be there. Be prepared...........

A swap meet cart is a great thing to have and will come in handy for carrying your umbrella when it's not raining . Or for carrying your sweatshirt or jacket when the sun comes out. At Hershey in October you can experience all 4 seasons in 2 days
Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Brad in Germany

My Dad and I will again be at CE-75 and CE-75 selling era Model A magazine advertisements and original sales brochures and owner's manuals, etc (mostly European). I'll also have a bunch of European petroliana for sale as well.

.....so stop by and see us!

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Wick

Good to take plenty of socks,water,snack. Make a list of what your looking for.
I will be in the Orange Field OBD 3-4 Clem and Benny will be just down the hill from me. Rockhill Will is a few rows east of me. The Orange field has alot of Model A Stuff and a couple of good T spots. One man behind me allways brings Nice Frames and sheetmetal.
If you get over loaded with items,drop them off at my spot and pick them up later.This goes for all the Fordbarn folks. My Friend Brian will be in the Green Field,row beside the tunnel. Hes got a pile of A parts hes bringing,we both have a $1 pile. Im not bringing much,couple of gas tanks and Model T parts.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
dean from bozeman

Birchwood,
Wick has named a few swap spaces that will have Model A parts. Annually many of us list our swap spaces on Fordbarn right before the meet.
As suggested bring a good pair of walking shoes and drink plenty of water. A cell phone is a must for both of you. When you find an item that you want pick it up an hold it or tell the vendor that you are going to buy it. Once a part is laid back down it is open game. If you see a part that you want to buy do so. Don't think that you will come back later for it. Though each swap space is marked it may be difficult to return to a spot.
Many use a wagon or vertical shopping cart. I prefer a newspaper delivery bag over my shoulder. I'm more mobile that way. Yes, for a fee there are some young folks who will help you transport larger or heavier items.
Between now and then take occasional walks. You will be amazed at the miles that you will walk.
Enjoy the experience. I listen for the laughter and guys just talking shop. You will be amazed at the volumes of knowledge, cars and parts that you will experience.
Also, Hershey is a good place to pick up items purchased via Fordbarn. Several times I had purchased items that were brought to Hershey so I could get them home. Speaking of that, since I usually fly there, I send most purchases home through UPS. I take a pile of parts there and they box them up and send them to my home.
Give your wife a big kiss and hug for agreeing to go to Hershey. Don't be discouraged if she does something else the second and third day.
When there enjoy the Brigadoon of Antique cars. It is truly a special place.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Wick

I must also add one food Vendor I go to every year called Nicko's? ok not sure on the name but you cant miss him,hes open till 9pm. Located at the very bottom of the Steps to the bridge going over the Highway! The Stromboli is the Best!!!

Cell Phones: Brian and I Text each other space #s what we found and how much it is,and include a picture sometimes! If I find K.R.Wilson stuff I have to call Mr.Diggs or Mr.Cannon.
Last year in the evening after 5pm. I would get on my Bicycle and scout out stuff till dark,buy some things to pick up the next day,go visit. Hit the top of the hill in the Red field.
Power Nap...1PM.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
ronn

Half of the vendors at Hershey are selling model A parts, so you should not go home hungry!
Bring notepad to mark spots where you bought parts-so you can come back and collect them all at the end of a day! Much easier then lugging them around and missing the "buys".
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
peters180a/170b

UMBRELLAS and PLASTIC PONCHOS..... KNOCK ON WOOD , its been good for the past few years..... bite your tongue....l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
Birchwood

Thanks for all the advice, after reading these post I feel like a kid at Christmas, I am taking notes so I can get the maximum from this trip and it sounds like I wont be disappointed
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
Jon-Ohio

I would encourage you to download and print out the overall site map and then the individual field maps and study the layout and row layout beforehand. Because of its size, it can be overwhelming somewhat for a first timer when you get there. The maps and other info can be found here:

http://hersheyaaca.org/fm_information.html

Hope this helps
Jon-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
David Moore

I have been going to Hershey for 30 years and it is the most fun you can have. I only live a few miles from you in Hixson, TN and love to restore Model A's.
Send me an E-mail and I will try to answer any questions that you have. Four of us will be making the trip in about 2 months.

[email protected]

David
1931 Model A Pickup
1931 Model A Victoria
1931 Model A Fordor
1914 model T Touring
1915 Buick C-25 Touring
David Moore is offline   Reply With Quote