Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
RonC

Default Re: Antifreeze Leak Help!

Get rid of the four blade some have been known to come apart. As others have said get the aluminum two blade fan. As was noted the water pump packing nut is junk. It's thin and can break easy. Buy the best leakless pump and new fan combo.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #22
flipp

Ok guys, I went ahead an bought a whole new leakless pump assembly and a 2 blade aluminum fan. That 4 blade fan coming apart and almost killing someone story was enough to get me to make the move. I will make it all my next week project.. hope all goes well. wish me luck :-)
flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #23
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipp View Post
Flip in So Cal is where its always sunny. :-) I ended up ordering a fresh new Leakless Water Pump from Bert's just in case the leak doesn't stop. Thanks again guys for all of your help.
Once you go leakless you will never go back....now lets talk about those fenders. They would really look good in green

I have the paint code in WV
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #24
flipp

Green?? I don't think I've ever seen green fenders on a stock Model A. :-/
Old 02-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Flip in So Cal is where its always sunny. :-) I ended up ordering a fresh new Leakless Water Pump from Bert's just in case the leak doesn't stop. Thanks again guys for all of your help.
Smart more! now you can take apart the old and see how it goes together.

Do you have any books or catalogs?

Here is another thread on water pumps,

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...8945&showall=1

I know it's small but it's the best i can do from here;

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-07-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #26
flipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Smart more! now you can take apart the old and see how it goes together.

Do you have any books or catalogs?

Here is another thread on water pumps,

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...8945&showall=1

I know it's small but it's the best i can do from here;

Hi Mike.. Yes, I just ordered the "Mechanics Manual Vol.1 Book" from Bert's. The book looks interesting and I hope that it guides me along the way. Thanks for the additional information you provided. I will definitely take a peek at it. I have lots to learn and every little bit helps. Thank you, sir!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #27
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Once you go leakless you will never go back....now lets talk about those fenders. They would really look good in green

I have the paint code in WV
dusty
If I am not mistaken, the last time that my fenders and/or running boards where green was because of a leakless water pump, and I had Anti-Freeze in the cooling system.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #28
RonC

Flipp, place the new pump in position without a gasket, spin it and make sure it's not scraping inside the head. If it hits inside at all, just grind a very small amount off the propellers. Trial and error fit. When your satisfied install with gasket. Use gasket cement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.3 KB, 4 views)
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
tbirdtbird
BANNED

you should grind the corners off the vanes anyway so you can get the pump out on the roadside without removing the radiator. Also, as mentioned, remove the 4 mounting studs and replace with bolts again so you can do a roadside WP change without rad. removal
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
Purdy Swoft

I agree. I grind off the tips of the vanes on the impellor because the water pump pumps way TOO much and will either spray coolant out around the radiator cap or exit via the over flow tube when accelerating. Ford improved the water pump in 32 with the B engine . I also like to use bolts instead of studs and nuts when installing the water pump. Bolts instead of studs and a two blade fan makes water pump removal without removing the radiator much easier. Care must be used when removing the old studs, they break easily and are a real pain to remove after breakage.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
Fred K-OR

Be sure you put a piece of cardboard in front of the fan against your radiator when you work on taking off the pump. It will protect the fins on the radiator.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Green?? I don't think I've ever seen green fenders on a stock Model A. :-/
Now you can see another one with green fenders. At least Dusty's car looks good. The previous owner that painted my 29 Tudor must have gotten drunk one night, then went to the paint store and threw up, then said........."Ah Ha, that's the color I want, PUKE GREEN".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford Trimotor.jpg (27.5 KB, 17 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #33
700rpm

Flipp, if I lived in SoCal, I'd drain out the antifreeze altogether. Then I'd back off the packing nut until I could see the condition of the packing, make a determination of condition, and grease as Purdy suggests, or add packing as necessary. Then I would snug up the packing nut, and put plain water back in the car. As someone noted, antifreeze is more likely to leak than water, and do you really need antifreeze in your area? Leakless water pumps are fine if you really need one, but original pumps can be maintained so they don't leak. Two of my cars have originals; one has a leakless. None of them leak. I think it is better to try to make what you have work than spend money unnecessarily. When you get to know more about your car you can make more informed decisions about whether to just start replacing parts, or repairing/restoring your original stuff.

Fred suggested cardboard on the inside to protect the radiator. Put a large piece on the outside too, to protect both the shell and the radiator, because when you pull the radiator forward, it is likely to hit the light bar and dent the shell; if you have license plate clamps on the bar, they can mess up the fins. Loosen them and rotate them up so the bolt ends don't hit the radiator when it's pulled forward. Be careful too about your hood if you pull the radiator forward. Go slowly for a more harmonious outcome.

Welcome, and good luck.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
jm29henry

yes as long as your radiator is working right you will be just fine .Please check for CRACKS IN THE FAN BLADE this can be a big problem down the road .You can buy the new fan from your supplier that is balanced for about $40.00 its easy to do especially if your going to replace the water pump.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #35
tbirdtbird
BANNED

if you decide to run plain water as someone suggested (here we go again) at least put rust inhibitor in there, else your block and rad. will fill up with rust in no time. Think cast iron rusts much? haha
Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #36
flipp

Dang it!! I just got a called from Steve at Bert's and he said that he doesn't have the 2 Blade Cast Aluminum Fan in stock and that they probably won't get them until March!! I called all other reputable vendors I could think of and they all said they were backordered as well. :-/

The collector I purchased the car from gave it to me with antifreeze in it already. The car came from Colorado so I'm not sure if weather played a role in the decision to add antifreeze. It looks to be 50/50 though. But now that she's in California what do you suggest.. pure water?? I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on here.

Thanks again guys for your continues advice on my fix.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #37
Duffy1

If you take out the antifreeze be sure and put in a bottle of rust inhibitor.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #38
tbirdtbird
BANNED

since the AF is already in there , if you remove it you will have a disposal issue.

Does it NEVER freeze where you are?

AF vs water is one of the most hotly debated topics on here, just search it. You'll be sorry !!!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #39
flipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Flipp, place the new pump in position without a gasket, spin it and make sure it's not scraping inside the head. If it hits inside at all, just grind a very small amount off the propellers. Trial and error fit. When your satisfied install with gasket. Use gasket cement.
Where can I get this gasket sealer from?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #40
flipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
since the AF is already in there , if you remove it you will have a disposal issue.

Does it NEVER freeze where you are?

AF vs water is one of the most hotly debated topics on here, just search it. You'll be sorry !!!
No, it never freezes here in So Cal where I'm at. The lowest it gets in the winter is 40 degrees.

Yeah, I've been pulled in 20 million different directions when it comes to the type of radiator coolant and mixture I should use. I think I'll run water only with a tad of coolant in it.