Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
moonlight graham

Default Model B to V8 transmission adapter

Is anyone aware of an adapter either currently made or manifactured in the past that adapts a 1932 Model B 4 cylinder engine to the V8 transmission. I'm aware that Clings makes an adapter for the Model A however I would like to be able to use my Model B flywheel cover which has a different pattern as well as stock oil pan. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffrey
moonlight graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
hotrodA

Default Re: Model B to V8 transmission adapter

The V8 gearset can be installed in the B trans case (providing you have one). That E auction site has someone advertising to do it.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

I installed the late V8 39-48 gears in my B trans in my 31 coupe. Boy, does that shift smooth. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Mac VP

We've built that before.....39-48 gearset in a B tran case. You need to use either a 36-38 tower or a 39 tower. Either way, it needs the 91A second-high shift fork. Also the lever must be a 36-39 type. You can also use the 40-52 top loader 3 speed pickup truck lever.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Fred A

Steering Geoffery away from the V8 trans toward the native B trans makes good sense in several ways. First if his oil pan has not yet been butchered, he can more easily take advantage of the rigid nature of the B engine/trans assembly and avoid the crack prone Model A flywheel housing which is an engineering bungle left over from the twenties. The Model B transmission case directly converts to the later improved gearsets and shifters. Often overlooked is the versatility of nearly twenty years of rear bearing retainers to make custom engine mounting even easier and better. The 1932 only flywheel cover has threaded mounting holes for the 1932 chatter rods that are also great for engine mounts. There are few driveshaft issues with either approach. Commercially available adapters for pedals, E-brake handle and wishbone mounts add to the ease of the application. Only thing better could be for Mac to come out and do it for you. The mere thought makes me want to go out and remove that pathetic stack of adapters in my A roadster and improve my own installation. The commercial adapters are imperfect and really need shimming to make them square, although most hatchet jobs just bolt them together and if it doesn't fall out in the road they go with it then unjustly curse the early Ford components as being junk. It may be true that Ford did continue for many years with poor design elements which fed the aftermarket with ways to work around them, but the use of the B transmission as the core improvement can make it right. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
DavidG

Given the original question, the answer is no. But Model B transmission cases are not exactly a rarity and as mentioned above the only difference between a B transmission and a '32-'34 V-8 transmission is the case.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
moonlight graham

Thanks guys for the help. It looks like the B case is the way to go.

Geoffrey
moonlight graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
alanwoodieman

four cylinder 41/42 ford trucks had an adapter ring to connect to a standard trans, I would be curious to see if this adapter bolt pattern would be the same as a B model 4 cylinder
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote