Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
31 Pickup

Default Temp Gauges

How accurate is a Motometer vs. a manual (modern) temperature gauge ?

I've just about got my truck ready for the road, and a few friends have (well meaning) have expressed concerns about the lack of gauges (oil & water) because of the amount of time and money I have invested in this project - they say forget the originality factor - protect the investement

Scott
31 Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Temp Gauges

31 Pickup ...........................
The Motormeter was designed to give you a general idea, as to if your engine was heating up, only.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Pickup View Post

I've just about got my truck ready for the road, and a few friends have (well meaning) have expressed concerns about the lack of gauges (oil & water) because of the amount of time and money I have invested in this project - they say forget the originality factor - protect the investement

Scott

they lasted 80+ years no problem. IMHO i would just use the motometer.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

I have a thermostat, the motormeter reads "radiator" temperature, the 1 time I got it to the top I also had steam (my fault, running on a dyne without a fan, 2nd gear pulling a good load)

A new Mercedes has nothing to monitor oil pressure, just oil level and oil condition, no more temp gauge --but engine temp can be brought up on the display.

The model A doesn't need oil pressure, just flow.

If you buy a motormeter test it ---mine is a 40 year old repro and is accurate, they might not be as good now.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:

Scott
Scott,
Good question and one that we have all asked or thought about when we first met Henry's Lady. You will not need guages. Once you are "one" with your Model A you will develop a sixth sense that will alert you to the slightest change. You will smell and identify the faintest odor. You will feel and read what the vibrations in sole of your foot is telling you. Your ears will be tuned to the distinct chuckle of your engine. Your Model A will cease to an automobile and will become a part of who you are.

Owners that do not bond with their Model A's and only use them to hold up a car cover have little use for guages they don't know how to read.

Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
steve s

I think both of those gauges you mention are highly optional. Without warning lights or buzzers, you're not too likely to notice them until the problem has announced itself otherwise. The oil pump is very simple and failure is very rare, especially in a new rebuild where the screen and oil are clean and everything has been checked. Since the oil is not pressurized, once the car warms up the normal oil pressure may appear to be misleadingly and distressingly low. Overheating often announces itself with spray on the windshield or a lot of heat coming thru the firewall. I agree with Ron--you will become one with your car.

If you're determined to be able to monitor the temp, I would not rely on the Motometer. A common cause of overheating is loss of coolant, after which the meter's sensor is hanging in the air and of little use--just when you need it the most; a modern temperature gauge sensor will be down closer to the block and more dependable.

I installed a temperature gauge last year, but mostly because someone had given it to me. Also, put in a tach, which is truly unnecessary. I just like gadgets.

If you want to protect your investment, I would install an oil filter and a thermostat.

-- now, we brace ourselves for the horror stories of oil pump failure.
Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Jordan

Quote:

Scott
Where do you live? Here in Texas, I wouldn't take a model a out of the garage in the summer without a temp gauge, but that's just me.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
31 Pickup

Thanks guys, I guess everyone just had me a little paranoid
Was thinking about a motometer any just to 'dress it up' anyway
You guys really made me think about becoming "one" with the truck - ID'ing sounds and smells, noises, etc. - really getting me 'itchy' to drive it !
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

You could do both................m/meter for looks, temp gage for accuracy.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
bogiediver

Has anyone determined a way to 'extend' the MotoMeter's probe?

Seems to me (but I'm new at this and not yet 'one' with my A) the end of the probe will most times be measuring the temp of the air at the top of the rad, rather than the water temp. The water needs to be touching the probe - that's very full...

Something temp conductive to attach to the bottom of the probe, yet flexible to not damage the tops of the tubes and allow opening of the cap.

Kinda like Bob Johnson did with his digital MotoMeter conversion - only for an original thermometer style, the extension would need to be a different construction (no kidding!). (31 Pickup - you might want to look into the digital conversion - perhaps a compromise that will serve your purpose... I have it downloaded if you'd like a copy...)

Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
TinCup

I installed a motometer first but because of all of my issues with cooling I added a temp gauge. I have since resolved my cooling issues but I kept the temp gauge. Here in Oklahoma with 100+ temps it's a nice bit of reassurance.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker Ron View Post
Scott,
Good question and one that we have all asked or thought about when we first met Henry's Lady. You will not need guages. Once you are "one" with your Model A you will develop a sixth sense that will alert you to the slightest change. You will smell and identify the faintest odor. You will feel and read what the vibrations in sole of your foot is telling you. Your ears will be tuned to the distinct chuckle of your engine. Your Model A will cease to an automobile and will become a part of who you are.

Owners that do not bond with their Model A's and only use them to hold up a car cover have little use for guages they don't know how to read.

Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron, I love this reply to the question and it seems "real". The only advise i can offer is, during this "dating" session, where the motor and the owner are becoming one, trust no one! Get the gauges... After the usual break-in period, and they are both happy, they will become one, and no checking will be needed! It's a little early but, Happy Valentine's Day
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
AL in NY

After an overheating problem, caused by a marginally cooling radiator, which totally ruined a newly rebuild engine, I would not rely on anything other then a water neck mounted temperature gauge. I never realized I had a serious problem until it was too late because all the water exited the radiator through the overflow tube, never saw a bit of steam from the radiator cap. I would protect your investment and add a temperature gauge, you can always remove it later after you're comfortable about how your engine will respond to different operating conditions.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Tom Endy

The installation of a temp gauge is a prudent thing to do if you plan to do serious driving of a Model A. I installed a mechanical temp gauge on my Victoria a few years ago with the bulb inserted into a boss on the water return casting on the head. I also installed a 160 thermostat in the upper hose.

If anyone is interested in seeing photos and a description of the installation it is posted in the "tech article" section of www.ocmafc.com. Click on my name in the tech menu and scroll to the article "temp gauge".

The temp gauge won't be of much help if you don't have a radiator capable of keeping the engine temp in line.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

I ran a large Boyce Universal Moto-Meter on my'30 coupe, when it would slowly rise and then drop quickly in regular cycles, it was a sure fire indicator of LOW water level.
Drop a large head nail into overflow tube and you have a vibrating splash guard to prevent loss of water. There's a lot of water turbulance in that area when you're "ROARING ALONG." Bill W's Ghost
(Claude's idea, not mine!) He's the REAL GURU!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Jim Parker Toronto

I installed a thermostat housing that has ports in it for the temperature bulb and hot water hook up as well.Very nice unit, even comes painted, ready to go. Installed and running with no problems at all. It comes with a thermostat.

www.VintagePrecision.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2907.JPG (223.6 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Jim Parker Toronto; 02-03-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added source..
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
31 Pickup

SOLD !
I'm getting a temperature gauge - too much $$ invested, to find out too late.
Thanks EVERYONE for your opinions - one more reason to love the 'barn'

oh, and not one oil pump horror story .........
Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
steve s

Great! If you get the Vintage Precision water outlet Jim suggested, it is mainly designed as a thermostat housing. It is tapped for either the mechanical of electric temperature gauge, assuming you don't want to use one for a hot water heater.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
Lyn in Atlanta

Here is my temp gauge set up. Used plastic conduit and routed wire through electrical hole in firewall. Bracket and pipe from Mikes and NOS temp gauge for $12 off ebay. About $50 total. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3837.jpg (72.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3838.jpg (79.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3839.jpg (55.4 KB, 72 views)
Lyn in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
TinCup

I have used the water neck tapped sensor and the inline setup that Lyn is using. I found that the inline was 10-20 degrees cooler on the temp gauge.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote