Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
1930pu

Default what finish to use on my pickup bed

Hi, I bought a new Brookville pickup box for my 1930 roadster pickup at Hershey this fall, from what I understand the wood originally was painted the body color, i want to have a natural finish and am wondering what everyone used for the finish and to seal and protect the wood so it will last, also how many coats, Thanks
1930pu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: what finish to use on my pickup bed

I used several coats of good polyurethane varnish from Home Depot. I did not stain.

I also like and used the stainless rails.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Tom from Drippin'

I used Minwax Colonial Maple stain & Minwax Satin Urathane. Wood is red oak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck014.jpg (59.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Seth Swoboda

I just put the bed on my 39 pickup. I sanded the wood, sealed it, then put two coats of Minwax gloss polyurathane (sanded in between) for a natural wood finish.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
CarlG

Mine has a natural wood finish, top and bottom.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Keith True

You will also need to take the floor out to refinish it.Very easy job,it is best to stand it on end to do it. I don't know if you are aware of it,but the primer is NOT a good quality.I got it straight from the horses mouth on this,they told me to strip it as they do no metal prep on the new beds.Wash,then prime to protect a little and look pretty.It costs a lot of money to prep correctly,and a lot of shops are going to redo it anyway.As somebody there told me a few years ago,so many of these beds are modified before mounting by rodders it really is a waste to prep them correctly.I have one I did for myself,I scuffed it,primed it and shot it with urethane.If it gets a scratch you can put your fingernail under the edge of the scratch and peel it up like a sheet of plastic.The paint is stuck to the primer,but the primer is not stuck to the steel.They warned me,but I hated the thought of blasting off nice looking new primer.It takes me less than 20 minutes to blast off a new bed.It takes longer to fire up the compressor,drag out the blaster,fill it,run the hoses,hook up the fresh air,then knock it all down again.I didn't listen and now I get to do it all anyway.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Dick Carne

I agree that your best finish will be obtained by removing the oak slats from the pickup bed and finishing them individually out of the bed. I've had good luck using automotive clear in order to give a nice finish coat on natural (or stained) wood finishes. I've used this on a '29 mail truck project, the spokes on a Model T project, and all of the floor sills on my current '29 Briggs Town Sedan project - great appearances to all. As far as the number of coats, I would suggest a minimum of at least three, taking care to water sand in between coats and adding additional coats until all of the grain is completely filled and you get a completely smooth finish. Just my thoughts, but this has worked well for me. We also did this on my nephew's '28 roadster pickup, which received a first in the Touring Class at the national meet in French Lick in 2010. That project was finished six or seven years ago, has held up well, and still looks good.

Best of luck whatever direction you choose to go.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
1930pu

Thanks for the replies I did wash the bed , used self etching primer, then put on epoxy primer getting ready to paint (duchess blue) , I do have the wood out to get all of it I was curious if there was a particular brand or type of polyurathane to put on also what grit to sand between coats, thanks again for all the input I really appreciate all the help I get here!!!!!
1930pu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
31 Pickup

I went the polyurethene route on top, and painted the underside with 3-4 coats of black enamel
I used steel bed strips painted body color, with stainless steel carriage bolts
31 Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
cabrioletgalaxie

There is a marine product called Epiphani (sp?). This is made for boats that are out in the weather and I've been told is an excellent product. Some Model Aers have used it on their woodies with good longevity. I believe it's about $30./quart.
I plan to use that product on my pickup this winter.
Original wood had a black preservative on all sides, then installed and painted body color.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote