Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default Hershey Question, how to get a vendor space?

My dad and I have discussed going to Hershey next year. We have never been and we need to fix that. What do we need to do to get a vendor space at Hershey? Who do we need to call or talk to get a space reserved? What does a vendor space cost?

Also, what do you guys to for a place to stay? Camp grounds? Hotels?

Thanks, Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Big John

Default Re: Hershey Question, how to get a vendor space?

take a small camper or tent and stay on your space....then you do not have to fight traffic coming or going...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Simple, join AACA and wait for the card to come in the magazine. Send it in and you will get a space or two- no problem.

BUT

You must also have a PA sale tax permit as they ask for the number when you apply for the spaces (If I remember correctly). So you first must get the permit from PA. Unless you only plan on advertising your services and will not be taking any money or delivering any products that you sold.
You will then have to log on and report your earnings twice year even if it is zero.

Staying on space is the most economical. Some just stay in cars. Bathrooms and food are there. Staying near the big new stadium is good cause you can use a real toilet in the morning. Plus staying on grounds lets you walk the cars for sale and enjoy more of the life at Hershey.

You are best arriving on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursdays are the main buying days. Fridays are sell and close day, Saturdays are like a ghost town on the flea market field.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

Ok, my idea was to get a vendor space to stay on. We won't have any actual sales. But do I still need to join the AACA?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Roadster62

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting a space from a friend can get that friend tossed out and banned from getting a space in the future. Just join AACA like everyone else and follow the rules and you'll have a good time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Ok, my idea was to get a vendor space to stay on. We won't have any actual sales. But do I still need to join the AACA?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Ok, I was really just not sure if AACA ran this event. I'm more interested in going to look and perhaps pickup some small items then selling.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

You still need to join the AACA and get a tax # from the state. Do it now for nxt yr. ken ct. This would also apply to some other people.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
CarlG

Joining AACA is no big deal, and you get another magazine along with it!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Seth, the AACA ...and many of us actually frown on this practice too. I realize that much of this is new to you & your Dad, but think about it in this manner. The intent of this event is to have an automotive swap meet where vintage parts can be purchased/sold, ...not a campground with a few parts vendors scattered amongst the RVs. It is frustrating for me and many others that find ourselves walking past space after space with a modern vehicle (motorhome/camper/etc) parked on that space and nothing (--worth selling) for sale. All it does is wate our valuable time and cause us to need to walk further to get to the next space that does have a vendor. I agree with Bob, "follow the rules and [everybody will] have a good time."

Anyone want to make a guess on how many spaces we saw this year that had coffee cans on a table with a sign on them that said "Honor System ~ Leave Money in the Can). Yeah right!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Seth, the AACA ...and many of us actually frown on this practice too. I realize that much of this is new to you & your Dad, but think about it in this manner. The intent of this event is to have an automotive swap meet where vintage parts can be purchased/sold, ...not a campground with a few parts vendors scattered amongst the RVs. It is frustrating for me and many others that find ourselves walking past space after space with a modern vehicle (motorhome/camper/etc) parked on that space and nothing (--worth selling) for sale. All it does is wate our valuable time and cause us to need to walk further to get to the next space that does have a vendor. I agree with Bob, "follow the rules and [everybody will] have a good time."

Anyone want to make a guess on how many spaces we saw this year that had coffee cans on a table with a sign on them that said "Honor System ~ Leave Money in the Can). Yeah right!!

How about I bring an old friend and some of his early V8 parts? Hershey might be new to dad and I (not our friend Jim with the V8 parts) but the hobby is not.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
MCHinson

If you join AACA, and an AACA member will be selling parts in the space, and you have a PA Tax Number, you would certainly be eligible to get a space. The Tax number and the space registration has to be in the name of an AACA member. If you have never been there, you really should go. I would personally suggest that you should attend it before becoming a vendor. I have been vending there for two years.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Bruce Adams

Here is the Hershey registration web link.

http://hersheyaaca.org/fm_vendors.html
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kelly View Post

Brent -

I know of a fellow who collected $700 + on Wednesday with a somewhat secure tool box with a slot for cash, by selling parts on the honor system.

To be fair, he didn't have many items which were terribly valuable, but he did have volume. And, at least some people were interested in what he had for sale.

Cheers,

Timothy

W O W, that's awesome!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Roadster62

Tim, Was that the guy with the mail box attached to his trailer? Took a while to find it but I thought it was a great idea. This year was an underfunded trip for me. Quickly went broke, made some money, went broke again, made some more money, and returned home with parts to make a few more bucks on. Great weather, friends old and newly found, memories of friends lost over the past year, it was one of the nicest Hershey meets I can remember. Looking forward to next year with my 100 year old Ford. Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #15
Kevin in NJ

If you want to avoid needing a sales tax license then just tell them you are going to advertise a service you sell. As long as you are not selling a product you do not need a tax license.

Because of the tax issues several large vendors are now doing displays only. They do not sell products.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote