Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
jojofilo88

Default starter getting stuck

hey everyone,

i have been having some trouble while starting my '29 lately. i'll engage the starter, the car will start, and then the starter will stay on instead of disengaging. i have to pull a battery terminal off to stop it. does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks,
joe
jojofilo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: starter getting stuck

Try some 3 in 1 oil on the starter shaft.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojofilo88 View Post
hey everyone,

i have been having some trouble while starting my '29 lately. i'll engage the starter, the car will start, and then the starter will stay on instead of disengaging. i have to pull a battery terminal off to stop it. does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks,
joe
Joe,
Do you have a repo starter switch. Most of these 'sticking' problems occur due to the use of repo switch. Short story is that repo is made inferior to fords original specs. Take the switch rod and cover (four screws) off. You will no doubt see some black color and evidence of arching. Rebend the 'spring to rearch it and sand/file the contacts smooth again.
When I reassemble, I place 'dielectric' grease on all contact surfaces. This has put a stop to my repo recurring problem. Good luck.
Best remedy is to obtain an 'original ford switch'.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
MCHinson

Sometimes the contact on the starter gets a bit rough and raised points on the contact flow too much current over too small an area and get too hot and tend to try to "weld" themselves to the flexible contact. Disassembly and cleaning both sides of the connection will clear up this issue.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
MCHinson

hardtimes,

I guess you posted that just after I started typing my reply... your explanation is probably a little better than mine, but that was what I was trying to say...
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
darrylkmc

I had a starter switch stick on my unrestored Phaeton about 6 weeks ago.
Best I can gather this is what happened.
The cowl corners have some cracking which causes the hole for the starter rod to be off center, plus no grommet. I jumped into my car in a hurry and hit the starter button with the edge of my shoe and it cocked the rod. The car started but the switch stuck. I disconnected the battery and removed the switch.
Upon examination of the switch I discovered that the copper strip had become jammed to one side which caught the paper insulator and the copper strip stuck under the paper which in turn would not allow it to release from the starter button. The paper had developed a ragged edge with a crease.
I ended up using a spare switch with a good insulator. I will rework the old switch for later use.
Good luck,
Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
hey everyone,

thanks,
joe
Sounds like more current is flowing through the starter switch than it is disigned to handle. Could be a poorly made switch that is not capable of handling the required load. If that is the case, the poorly made switch has probably been troublesome since first installed. A poor ground connection through the frame and to the starter, use of 12 volt cables, a starter that drags or requires excessive current or the practice of just setting the cable on the battery in lieu of tightening could all cause excessive current draw and weld the switch comtacts. What is the "Rest of the story?" Use ohm's law to see how a voltage drop results in higher amperage. Yours is a frequently reported problem, please let us know what you find.
Rainmaker ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
2935ford

I had that happen but it was because I used a grommet on the rod at the fireall and it would not "spring" back. The grommet was to tight. Took the grommet off and all was well!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Since pulling the battery cable fixes the starter, it sounds like the starter switch is sticking on.Remove the switch and see what's wrong. If you also remove the starter then now would be a good time to make sure the drive is in good shape. It must be clean and rust free. Make sure the small sping loaded pin is free and oiled. I put grease on the large spring and pinion gear and very lightly oil on the helix of the drive. Make sure your lock washer are in good shape and positioned in the notch of the end coil on the spring and also tight against the flat of the hex bolt.

BTW, does the car die when you pull the battery cable?
Does the starter reengage when you put the cable back on?

With the battery cable off, the battery is out of the charging circuit and the generator can put out up to 40 volts and burn out bulbs and cook the generator windings, unless you have an electronic voltage regulator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
jojofilo88

yes, the car dies when i pull the battery, and starts when i put the terminal back on. i usually take apart the starter switch and reassemble it and it fixes the problem. i did take the starter out recently and it looked ok to me. no rust, all the parts moving freely. i am going to try oiling up the shaft this weekend, and then check the starter switch again. hopefully ill get it all fixed.

thank you to everyone for all of the suggestions!
jojofilo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
yes, the car dies when i pull the battery, and starts when i put the terminal back on. i usually take apart the starter switch and reassemble it and it fixes the problem. i did take the starter out recently and it looked ok to me. no rust, all the parts moving freely. i am going to try oiling up the shaft this weekend, and then check the starter switch again. hopefully ill get it all fixed.

thank you to everyone for all of the suggestions!
Yes, it does sound like a poorly made repro switch. Try Bert's for a good original switch or a better quality repro. 800-321-1931
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote