Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Kugie

Default '28 Special Coupe

Hey guys. So I inherited my Grandfather's Special Coupe from my mom when I turned 16. Never really had too much interest in it until I hit about 28. Now I am 32 and have almost everything back to new on it. It only has 8,575 miles on it. I am a member of the MARC her in Western KY. I know the exact #'s on the build amount are unknown since it was only produced for about 8 months I believe. Does anyone know anyone besides me now that has a Special Coupe. They are the ones where the long grain cobra vinyl top goes all the way back down to the belt rail.

Thank You,
Josh Morton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kugee.jpg (94.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg Pic-04162015-005.jpg (68.8 KB, 315 views)
Kugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: '28 Special Coupe

I have a 29 Special Coupe. I believe the production was around 18,000 for 28 and 29 combined.

Last edited by 29spcoupe; 10-12-2017 at 06:55 AM.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The plating on the headlamp reflectors, radiator shell, and bumper bars looks good. I bought a front bumper with a bend like your's and by removing the end bolts I was able to straighten each bar by itself. I layed each bar on a couple 6 x 6's and jumped on the high spot several times. They took several jumps, but came out nice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
marc silva

Nice Car! What is the build date? It is on the drivers side firewall above the seam for the gas tank. Mine is November 23 1928 . Be patient in restoring it there are a lot of things unique to that car.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
LSJUNIPER

I have a 28 Special, purchased it last summer....

IMG_20140827_110433_526.jpg
LSJUNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
wrndln

I seriously doubt you can straighten your front bumper by jumping up and down on it. The bumper on my Nov 28 special coupe is only slightly bowed inward about 1/2", and I can't straighten it by jumping on it. The bumper plating looks decent on your car. I would take it to a machine shop and see what they have to say. I suspect a 20 or 30 ton press would be needed to straighten it since the bumper is made of spring steel and needs to be "over" bent to come out straight. You might consider removing the end bolts and trying to straighten the bumper bars one bar at a time. You are correct that the top material goes down to the beltrail. The top on a special coupe is fairly complex. There is a wood frame work including the rear and side wind frames. Then 5 pieces of sheetmetal are nailed and screwed to the wood framework. Next a heavy padding is glued to the metal and then the top material is installed. Not an easy job I found out. I have seen a couple of original special coupes that have not had the tops replaced. The top material Ford original used was different from the material you can buy today. However, the current top material looks decent. BTW, 28 special coupes began production in July 28 and 29 special coupes ended production in July 29. Standard coupes were made before July 28 and after June 29. Your coupe is much better than the rust bucket I started with.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
bthomps1951

I have a April 1929 Special Coupe that I bought in 1961. I just finished restoring it last year. The top is a major difference from other coupes and was a major project replacing all the wood and installing the top material. The 2 piece metal molding around the rear of the top is difficult to find. Last year I found someone on the internet that was reproducing it but I located one from a member of our local club. I have been unable to find the source of the reproduction molding since last year. According to an article in the Restorer Magazine years ago, the Special Coupe was Henry Ford's favorite body style.

Bill Thompson in Utah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150605_165237.jpg (83.7 KB, 81 views)
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Custom Biarritz Classic
bthomps1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Binger

I am working on a '29 special also. I would be very interested in a repro trim strip around the top of the belt line. I have never seen one available. I am going to be careful with restoring the one I have. Putting in the wood kit was a challenge. Although it is not 100% ford barn friendly here is a picture. I am building it into a Model A powered early '50s style hot rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByH_A_M_B_1438380140_022941.jpg (93.5 KB, 77 views)
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Farrell In Vancouver

NIce car Josh, you'll have a lot of fun in it for years to come. Mine, like others, was pretty much a basket case when my Father and I started on it. I took a solid ten years on and off to get it back up to snuff, but she sure make me grin every time I run it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA050121.JPG (42.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Fog lamps.JPG (61.9 KB, 77 views)
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Dave in MD

Hi Josh,
I have a July 1928 Special Coupe. It is on the road and I enjoy driving it very much.
There are some top trim molding pieces that are very rare to find if you need them. However, it looks like your coupe has them. Tony Raffin was reproducing the belt rail for a short time. They did not have all of the correct bends on the two sides and across the back. PM me if I can help you out in any way. Is there a number stamped into the front body cross member just behind the horizontal wooden floor board?
Regards,
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Nice Coupe Josh! Congratulations and neat history of the car!

Sometimes it takes a few years of 'aging' of us, to appreciate what we have. Thank goodness you didn't tear into it at 16 and go street rodding with this car It is quite rare and in that condition---- you definitely have something special!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
29spcoupe

Forgive my for my ignorance, as I have been involved in Model A's for about a year. Every time I go to a show someone who knows quite a bit more tells me that the Special Coupe is rare. It may be my imagination, but there seems to be quite a few out there. Does anyone know how many may be left out there?
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
mcorrell

I inherited my late grandfathers 29 Special coupe. Thankfully the body and interior are in pretty good shape (thanks to my dad's body shop). It suffered from 15 years of storage so some of the chrome needs repaired or replaced and I am working out engine issues.

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #14
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MD View Post
Hi Josh,
I have a July 1928 Special Coupe. It is on the road and I enjoy driving it very much.
There are some top trim molding pieces that are very rare to find if you need them. However, it looks like your coupe has them. Tony Raffin was reproducing the belt rail for a short time. They did not have all of the correct bends on the two sides and across the back. PM me if I can help you out in any way. Is there a number stamped into the front body cross member just behind the horizontal wooden floor board?
Regards,
Dave
If you are lacking the belt molding like I was I found a good substitute is the DD brass moulding that Universal Tire offers in a straight length of 7 ft.
which is the route I took and when installed right looks identical to the original.

Last edited by Barry B./ Ma.; 11-25-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added a D to the p/n
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
If you are lacking the belt molding like I was I found a good substitute is the D brass moulding that Universal Tire offers in a straight length of 7 ft.
which is the route I took and when installed right looks identical to the original.
Do you have any pics of the moulding as installed on your car? or maybe some further instructions on your method?
dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #16
George Miller

My first Model A was a special Coupe. I did not know that when I owned it back in 1960. I though some had taken the back window out. Wish I would have keep it.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
kbinde2

I also have a "Special" Coupe, June '29 production. Currently undergoing restoration phase of ownership.!
Seem to be a few of them still running..
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
Anteek29

I have a 1929 Special Coupe with a build date of December 7, 1928. This is my first Model A. Bought it a year ago - nicely restored, with an H & H Touring engine.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Richard/Ca

I was given two 29 special coupes in 1961 by my father. They were both running when they were parked out in the back field for about 3 years One I sold to a good friend of mine( at the time) in 1966 for $50.00 gas and date money. He was suppose to sell it back to me if he was't going to do anything with it.About 3 years later he ask me if I would like to buy it back. I said sure and proceed to hand him $50.00. Oops put another $950.00 with that and you can have it.Well he never sold it and gave it to his brother-law never seen it again or him either(my choice). Still have the other one. I put the incorrect top materiel on because L.B. sent me the wrong grain. At the time I didn't know that it was long grain. but every one else seem to know.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
williamg4x4

My 29 is a special coupe. And has never bin restored just maintained. It has bin a south west car sins new.
williamg4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote