Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #21
Larry Brumfield

Default Re: Most expensive A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
...im sure Barrett-Jackson auction would not have adv. it if they could not prove it..... Not a small co.

Well neither was Bernie Madoff's pool of investors.

Among the THOUSANDS of people said to have been ripped off were several members of the Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans! Not a bunch of dummies by a long shot.

Knowing what I know about the world of Model A restorations, before I'd shell out that kind of dough I would need complete analysis by a team of FBI metallurgists to confirm the numbers stamped in the frame matched the numbers stamped on the engine with a 100% guarantee that it was done by the Ford Motor Company. And even then that would only confirm two things: the frame and the engine. The rest could have come from here and there.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Jeff, You are right, they should have left it alone. it would have been worth a lot more as a part of history then the way it is now, to bad.
here's a very good example.
Louis,
Yeah, this looks to be the one at Don Laughlins car museum in Laughlin, unless there's one at every museum!
I question why anyone would pay the reported amount for a black model a coupe, that now has none of the originality/authenticity that made it THE getaway car. Even those with that kind of pocket change...you'd think, would want it with the evidence (i.e.-blood/bullet holes)of its claim to fame, hmmm!
Heck, I've got a driver '30 roadster with a four banger engine that niether that stock coupe..NOR henry's '32 V8 would keep up with right now! And, best part, it will cost you slightly under $150K !!!

Last edited by hardtimes; 12-22-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: furgitfullness!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
Louis

Gosh....Now you three experts have got me wondering if their really was a guy named John Dillinger.... My self, i never saw the man? Hummmm .
It is a shame the poor guy diden't get advice from you three expert's before he paid the $150K for the car. i guess he learned his lesson .

Last edited by Louis; 12-22-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Gosh....Now you three experts have got me wondering if their really was a guy named John Dillinger.... My self, i never saw the man? Hummmm .
It is a shame the poor guy diden't get advice from you three expert's before he paid the $150K for the car. i guess he learned his lesson .

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #25
Gumpy

bttt
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #26
HoarseWhisperer

Hey, no expert here. I never doubted the authenticity.

I'm just trying to make a buck here. But no worries.

The guy that bought Dillinger's car is a member of Fordbarn, so he's seeing all the advice.

As a matter of fact, so is Dillinger. News of his death was premature.
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
Ron in Quincy

In 1936 my dad and I went to down town Modesto, across from the Strand Theater on 10Th Street, to see the Bonnie and Clyde 34 Ford. It was on a car trailer. Sure made an impression on me, I can still remember seeing all the bullet holes, the car was really shot up when they were killed.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #28
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
The car as a vehicle is NOT worth anywhere near that, and also note it was restored and all the traces of the get away, bullet holes, blood have been removed
Bullet hole in right rear fender still there (with big arrow). They didn't show the interior or talk about the injury< but said the bullet went through to the engine.

Check TV guide for BJ Special on celebrity cars. On Speed channel i December.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
George, Iowa

Would any of you store your ladder over your stainless steel (500,000) car? Just wondering.
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #30
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brumfield View Post
Well neither was Bernie Madoff's pool of investors.

Among the THOUSANDS of people said to have been ripped off were several members of the Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans! Not a bunch of dummies by a long shot.

Knowing what I know about the world of Model A restorations, before I'd shell out that kind of dough I would need complete analysis by a team of FBI metallurgists to confirm the numbers stamped in the frame matched the numbers stamped on the engine with a 100% guarantee that it was done by the Ford Motor Company. And even then that would only confirm two things: the frame and the engine. The rest could have come from here and there.
Larry,
Im with you. I think we should contact the FBI and ask that
John Dillinger's [alleged] body be exhumed and that a team of FBI DNA experts do a complete analysis and confirm that with a 100% guarantee that the man in that grave is in fact John Dillinger .
and when we know for sure their was a John Dillinger we might "then" connect him with the 1930 coupe that he made his getaway in .
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #31
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Larry,
Im with you. I think we should contact the FBI and ask that
John Dillinger's [alleged] body be exhumed and that a team of FBI DNA experts do a complete analysis and confirm that with a 100% guarantee that the man in that grave is in fact John Dillinger .
and when we know for sure their was a John Dillinger we might "then" connect him with the 1930 coupe that he made his getaway in .

Gosh.... Louis ... you have me wondering if John Dillinger was really a crook ... Myself, I never saw him rob anybody? Hummmm .

It's a shame the poor guy didn't find a kind gullible person like yourself to believe in him and protect him. I guess he learned his lesson when the FBI blew his guts out .

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 12-22-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #32
shepsvettes

I was at the Barrett Jackson auction last January when the Dillinger car sold. There was a lot of documentation there but it was not included in the sale. Kinda strange.
shepsvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #33
peters180a/170b

A towncar sold for over $200.000 .... And if i owned a towncar delivery in restored shape [i'll ask over that price] if i was to sell it [NOT]. they should of left the coupe as found!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Allow me to change the direction just a little bit to get an opinion on this....

For years around here on Fordbarn when someone asks the worth of something and many perceive it as being overpriced, we always read the reply "Something is only worth what someone's willing to give for it!". So is that an accurate statement and does that advice apply here when someone actually paid $150k??

/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #35
Bob Johnson

Default What is it worth ?

Worth is a very personal thing. For example say there is a 1931 Sport Coupe for sale. It was restored 30 years ago, is painted Lombard Blue and can be used for tours with just some minor fixes. There are 4 people interested in purchasing the car. The first person has 2 other Model As and is always on the lookout for a good car at a good price. The second person does not have a Model A and has been looking for one. The third person has been looking for some time for a Lombard Blue Sport Coupe. The last person was a teenager 30 years ago and helped his father restore that Sport Coupe which had been purchased new by his grandfather.

The seller posts a message here on Ford Barn asking how much is my car worth. Knowing all of the above my answer would be:

1) $4000.00 - $6000.00
2) $6000.00 - $9000.00
3) $9000.00 - $150000.00
4) $15000.00 - priceless

"What is it worth" is not an easy question to answer.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #36
HoarseWhisperer

Excellent point, Mr. Johnson.

I've been offered what some would view a ridiculous amount of money for my Model A. One offer was $50,000, well over the professional appraisal.

When I relayed the story to another hobbiest, he remarked,

"That sounds like a meeting of two fools. Him for offering that kind of money, and you for turning it down."

Perhaps he is right, but only us fools know what it is worth to us.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #37
Larry Brumfield

Figuring what something is worth is not that hard to determine if one has enough knowledge. Ever watch Pawn Stars? ... or better yet why does anyone bother with professional appraisers?

Regardless, however, cheapskates will always be with us as well as people with more money than sense.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #38
Bob-A

This is in regard to Louis's commet #33:

At one time I read that when Dillinger's body was buried his family could not
afford to pay for it so the county (Cook County, Illinios) paid for it. However,
the very next day after the burial. A couple tons of concrete and steel was
placed over the burial spot to prevent anybody from ever digging up the casket.
Supposedly paid for my his "broke" family. Also, all documents pertaining to Dillinger like autopsy photos, finger prints, etc. in the county morgue disappeared. Rumors were that Johnny was not the one shot but a double and the real Dillinger high tailed it to South America. I don't know how true all this is but it sure makes for a good story on the ending of Public Enemy No. 1.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
Rumors were that Johnny was not the one shot but a double and the real Dillinger high tailed it to South America. I don't know how true all this is but it sure makes for a good story on the ending of Public Enemy No. 1.

Bob-A

It's true, he resided in Brazil until his death in the early 90's. I ran into Dillinger and Elvis at this wonderful cafe back in the mid 80's. Oh the stories that those two shared!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #40
roccaas

Check that: $165K with buyers premium. These pics don't show the bullet hole in the fender (you'ds thunk they would).

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...309&pop=0&it=1

Last edited by roccaas; 12-26-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: mis-spelting
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote