Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
Phil

Default 59 Tbird convertible operating top and deck

I am trying to ge a 59 tbird back going for an old friend. It has been setting in a garage with the top down. He doesn't remember how to operate the top. I can't find the top control switch. There is a button (looks to be after market) that clicks a relay on the right side firewall. Is the top switch in the trunk? How is the deck opened is it manual or does it operate automaticly with the top. Thanks, Phil.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
alt63bird

Default Re: 59 Tbird convertible operating top and deck

There is a button attached to a bracket under the dash panel (it is slotted for the glove box door key): this activates a solenoid that pops open the rear deck latches. The rear deck has a manual safety latch on the driver's side near the front of the deck lid that you need to then unlatch in order to manually raise the deck lid. The switch for the top itself is on the driver's side of the trunk near the front.

I suggest your friend become a member of Vintage Thunderbird Club International and subscribe to its email forum. There is a section dedicated to '58-'60 'Birds that has a wealth of information. I also suggest that he get reprints of the Owner's Manual and the shop manual, which have information on how to operate and maintain/troubleshoot top operation.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Phil

Thanks for the reply. I will probably be the one to join and receive emails. He is not very computer savey. I guess the key switch under the dash you refer to has been replace by the round after market button. It operates a relay on the right side fire wall but the solenoid to release the deck lid. I looked at a service manual on line and could find no reference to the deck lid. Is there a method to release the deck lid if the solenoid fails? Thanks, Phil.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
5851a

Try http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...djustments.htm
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote