Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
dschwartz

Default H&H Flatheads

Beware of H&H Flatheads.
I Dan Schwartz bought from Jody Martin a 59AB block that was repaired and machine by H&H Flatheads of La Crescenta, Ca.

The motor has been used for about two thousands miles with the results of:
  • Eight sleeves that were installed and bored and honed were done incorrect which has resulted in heavy blow by and excessive oil use. The sleeves have moved down in the block two thousands of an inch. The metal in sleeve no 2 cylinder has failed with small patched of voids in the cylinder walls. Water is leaking into cylinders 1 and 2.
  • The sealer paint that was used was done wrong which resulted in the paint flaking and got into the oil passages.

H&H will not stand behind there work and refuses to compensate me for my loses.

dschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
37ford4dr

Default Re: H&H Flatheads

well good luck with your dispute and sorry for you misfortune.....was Jody Martin part of H&H or a third party? if its a third party in between you and H&H i can see their reluctance to settle with you.
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
xix32

i trust that you have done an accurate inspection, before you posted these remarks.
here is your quote: "The sleeves have moved down in the block two thousands of an inch."
since normal copy paper is about four thousands ( .004") are you saying the sleeves have moved down 1/2 the thickness of a piece of common paper? how did you measure that?
xix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
dschwartz

Thank you for your replay 2 thousands 4 thousands the sleeves have moved down in the block and the metal in sleeve cylinder 2 has failed and is leaking water into the cylinder.
Dan
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
John Kennedy

Pictures would be helpful. So would correct grammar.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
dschwartz

Thank you for the reply and the grammer lesson, sending you a picture of the block assembled I am looking for a picture of the block now with the sleeves moved.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Ford Flathead

I always stand behind my work but after 5 years and trading hands a warranty is out of the question on a machined block. To crack the block between cylinders shows over torquing. So no there can not be warranty after 5 years. I have built a reputation of standing behind my engines but this is way past the deadline. I am sorry this block did not work out but I am not in the position to hand out money 5 years later based on your word you assembled the engine correctly and never over heated the engine. If you came to me instead of the Internet I would have machined a new block for you.
Thanks
Mike
H&H Flatheads
Ford Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
RPMREX

Mike,
Your last sentence is not good to read. I take it as you saying "if you would have not told everyone I would have fixed it but now that you told everyone, I don't want to" I would have stuck with the 5 years later and owner assembled motor, may have overheated for voiding the warranty.
"If you came to me instead of the Internet I would have machined a new block for you." Really?

I am not trying to pick a fight,,,I have not used H&H and would if I needed a flathead. Just voicing my oponion. This is an open forum.
RPMREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwartz View Post
Beware of H&H Flatheads.
I Dan Schwartz bought from Jody Martin a 59AB block that was repaired and machine by H&H Flatheads of La Crescenta, Ca.

The motor has been used for about two thousands miles with the results of:
  • Eight sleeves that were installed and bored and honed were done incorrect which has resulted in heavy blow by and excessive oil use. The sleeves have moved down in the block two thousands of an inch. The metal in sleeve no 2 cylinder has failed with small patched of voids in the cylinder walls. Water is leaking into cylinders 1 and 2.
  • The sealer paint that was used was done wrong which resulted in the paint flaking and got into the oil passages.

H&H will not stand behind there work and refuses to compensate me for my loses.

In your quote you state h&H refuses compensation either you spoke to him or you didn't. Which is it?
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Scott De Shields

I did my homework on H+H before contracting them to put together a turn-key engine for me. I like the fact that they are a family owned business and I know other customers that have been happy with their work. They take their jobs seriously and believe they would have worked with Mr. Schwartz if he had taken the time to talk to Mike directly These engines are not cheap to build and investing in someone else to build one is diffently a leap of faith. My opinion
Scott De Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Ford Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMREX View Post
Mike,
Your last sentence is not good to read. I take it as you saying "if you would have not told everyone I would have fixed it but now that you told everyone, I don't want to" I would have stuck with the 5 years later and owner assembled motor, may have overheated for voiding the warranty.
"If you came to me instead of the Internet I would have machined a new block for you." Really?

I am not trying to pick a fight,,,I have not used H&H and would if I needed a flathead. Just voicing my opinion. This is an open forum.
That is not what I meant by that buy that but it is always better to contact the parties involved rather than trying to spread misrepresentation on a forum.
Ford Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Hoop

This is fun.

I once watched an episode of "Paper Chase" therefore I'm qualified to post.

Schwartz v. H&H

1. Does Schwartz have grounds to seek compensation from H&H for an engine block machined by H&H, but purchased from 3rd party, Jody Martin, the original purchaser from H&H?

2. Did Schwartz enter into a contract at any time with H&H?

3. Did Schwartz receive a warranty from either Jody Martin or H&H?

4. If any warranty existed after 5 years, did Jody Martin have the power to convey that warranty to Schwartz?

... excuse me, but the microwave just stopped beeping. My popcorn is ready.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Ed Solari

My concern is you have no idea what Jody Martin may or may not have done with the engine .... unless you live in the same house. I assume when you said H&H did the work you have documenation with the dates and exact work done. I do not know Jody, H&H, or you so my concern is what is documented as a direct result of H&H versus what is assumed. Unless you can provide a clean documented history of H&H to you one would wonder is a libel suit is a more appropriate discussion. Can you provide such documentation????? If you can not then I think that an internet discussion in inappropriate.
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Bassman/NZ

I think H&H are quite right. 5 years is way too long, and in 99% of cases, the warranty only applies to the original purchaser, ie: Jody Martin.
Sorry DS, I dont think you have a case. FWIW: H&H are one of the most respected flathead shops in business,
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
uncle max

I can only speak to the dealings I've had with Mike at H&H.
If all my customers practiced business the way Mike does, the world would be a better place. Not once in over 50 transactions have I ever been disappointed.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
hbleadsled

dschwartz- Dan, H&H flatheads are the best of people & machine shop no better person than Mike, I agree with Scott De Shields and others like Uncle Max you can add me to bunch also. Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
B-O-B

Explain to me why H&H should stand behind a 2nd party sale. Must be on a differant planet. Go after the guy you bought it from not someone that did the work 5 years ago. I must be missing something here.
TIME OUT
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
joe plumber

Sorry, Mr Schwartz,I don't beileve you got a case against H&H .In fact they could have a case against you .JMHO.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Ronnie

Sounds like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whine.jpg (5.6 KB, 53 views)
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
toddle321

We have 3 of their flatheads and one model A touring motor, great family to deal with and they stand behind their work. Mike is always a phone call away if I'm having a problem, couldn't ask for more.

Todd Samson
toddle321 is offline   Reply With Quote