Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Growley bear

Default Centrifugal Advance

Has any one had much experience with the Nu Rex Centrifugal Advance Kit sold by Snyder's? I appears to be of high quality and looks great.
I just installed one and so far I am pleased with the performance. I am wondering about long term dependability as I have only driven 25 miles with it installed.
Happy Thanksgiving
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
John LaVoy

Default Re: Centrifugal Advance

Please let me know how you like it on some longer drives. I have one and we have been running some test on a Sun distributor test unit and the performances appears very good. I will be running an article in the next issue or so regarding the outcome of our tests and it would be nice to include your experiences as well. Please send any comments to [email protected]
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
V4F

i have an FS electronic self advance & really like it !
Old 11-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
TinCup

Is this the unit in the valve chamber?
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I have had one and used on both cars. They are great. Really great and easy to install. But make sure you set the spark rod correctly to achieve the best results and just go to Nu Rex .com to but directly.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Loyd Nix

I am running a FS Zipper in my 30 Tudor and really love it. As mentioned above if you have questions or problems go directly to the manufacturer rather than the vendor.
Loyd Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
donh

I have been running a Nu-Rex in my Victoria for 5 years and about 6000 miles. Works great.
I thought I had a problem with it once, but discovered that when I had replaced the head gasket the shaft opening was not the right size and was causing the shaft to rub. The advance did not work right until I corrected the gasket opening. This allowed the shaft to turn freely.
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Growley bear

I am having second thoughts about this centrifugal advance unit. After checking the advance with a timing light, I observed that I get no more than 15 degrees of advance. Supposed to get 30 degrees. The shaft mechanism operates freely and I can move the distributor approx 35 degrees and the rotor falls very easily unassisted back to its original position.
I have contacted Nu-Rex to find out what their take is on this. I had High Hopes at first. The model A does ok around town but will not attain a speed of over fourty MPH highway speeds without advancing the column lever to compensate.
So far the expense and labor (my labor) do not balance out.
The old solid shaft driver operated advance operated much better in my opinion. I have very easily attained speeds of over 60 MPH in short bursts with the old manual advance mechanism.
I guess I need to factor in entertainment though.
Chet
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
CarlG

I just bought one of the NuRex units (from Snyders) and plan on installing it when my engine goes back together.
Quote:
... without advancing the column lever to compensate...
In the instructions I got, it said to bolt the plate down so that you can't do this.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
I am having second thoughts about this centrifugal advance unit. After checking the advance with a timing light, I observed that I get no more than 15 degrees of advance. Supposed to get 30 degrees. The shaft mechanism operates freely and I can move the distributor approx 35 degrees and the rotor falls very easily unassisted back to its original position.
I have contacted Nu-Rex to find out what their take is on this. I had High Hopes at first. The model A does ok around town but will not attain a speed of over fourty MPH highway speeds without advancing the column lever to compensate.
So far the expense and labor (my labor) do not balance out.
The old solid shaft driver operated advance operated much better in my opinion. I have very easily attained speeds of over 60 MPH in short bursts with the old manual advance mechanism.
I guess I need to factor in entertainment though.
Chet
The setting instructions are a bit confusing so read and re-read. I had the same issue and discovered my error when I hooked up a timing light. If you can...use one for the final setting to verify you do not exceed 28 degrees of advance. They work great when they are set correctly.
Look at post #7 by Donh: He is correct...when installing a new head gasket use a drift punch to enlarge the opening in the gasket the lower shaft passes through after installing and torquing the head. If you do not, it will rub on the shaft and limit the advance.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
30Tudor

How does this work with a high compression head?
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Tudor View Post
How does this work with a high compression head?
I'm assuming we're talking about the valve chamber unit. I've had one in my car with 5.9 Brumfield head, and it works fine. My first trip after installation was from MI to Williamsburg Meet in 2007.

My only gripe is that if you need to pull the distributor for some reason, the advance mechanism comes undone in the valve chamber, which then requires removing the side valve chamber cover, which, if you've got a full-flow oil filter, is more of a pain than you'd guess. If l had it to do over, I would go with the springs-in-distributor style setup.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
30Tudor

Thought the high compression head required less advance? Do these units come for both regular head and HC head or can you adjust the max advance?
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
steve s

You're right about high compression needing less advance, but the unit does not come in two versions.

I set mine up with a timing light so it gives the maximum desired advance at high rpm; it's been a while since I fiddled with it, but I believe that this means ignition is retarded relative to TDC at very low rpm. ALSO, I've set mine up so I have some wiggle room (3 clicks of retard) allowing me to play the role of human vacuum brake on the advance, if I'm pulling a hill in an awkward rpm range for down shifting. Here's a photo of the little clamp I use to prevent accidental over-advance.

Steve
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
1931 flamingo

Growley Bear: regarding your post #9. I don't understand why after 80+ years of reliability everybody wants to re-invent the wheel?? I do agree with you in that when you figure in your labor, part cost, etc and then look at the result, it makes you wonder. JMO

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Growley bear

That is exactly what I was thinking after I got it installed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think that I will remove the modern in favor of the tried and true. I really don't want to reinvent the Model A.
The mechanical advance unit sounded like a good idea. I guess I was wrong. I'll wait for Nu-Rex to see what they say.

Chet
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Growley Bear: regarding your post #9. I don't understand why after 80+ years of reliability everybody wants to re-invent the wheel?? I do agree with you in that when you figure in your labor, part cost, etc and then look at the result, it makes you wonder. JMO

Paul in CT
Not everybody, but there is a benefit to some. If you take an hour ride through inner big city traffic like I mostly do, that consists of sprints to 40mph, cruise three blocks, then a red light. Repeat EVERY 1/2 mile. I've slicked the notches on more than one quadrant. Scenario two- Not everybody thinks 'mechanical'. My wife can drive our A's, but often forgets to retard at stops.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
steve s

The endless debate over restoration vs. modification comes down to whether you see the car as an endpoint or a starting point. To my mind, a Model A, although not exactly broken, still just begs to be fixed. For example, when I'm driving around in town or running thru the gears, it just makes me feel good to think about the centrifugal advance doing its thing to make it run a bit better. The immense aftermarket-mods that immediately appeared for the A as well as the T tells me that my urges are "period correct." Or, maybe it's a genetic thing--I'm still not sure what all was done to my dad's Model A before it was even 9 years old.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
harleyjj

steve s. what is the round ball mounted on the sunvisor of the car in the above picture for?
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjj View Post
steve s. what is the round ball mounted on the sunvisor of the car in the above picture for?
Trailer Hitch??
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote