Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default New NJ State child seat rules

NJ has made changes to their child seat rules.

NJ Child seat rules

I am not a lawyer, but here is the first sentence:

Every person operating a motor vehicle, other than a school bus, equipped with safety belts or a......

I am pretty sure it clearly states the law only applies to motor vehicles equipped with safety belts. This should be important for people who are in NJ and operating without seat belts. You will want to keep a copy of the law on hand to show it is probably legal for you to transport children in you car without seat belts since the car was produced before seat belts.

I will state that I have installed seat belts in my cars without belts as I prefer to not take chances.
I realize a lot of people want to take the kids out for a drive and it would be smart to know the law. My kids have gone around the neighborhood in my brothers coupe without seat belts.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
todd3131

Default Re: New NJ State child seat rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
NJ has made changes to their child seat rules.

NJ Child seat rules

I am not a lawyer, but here is the first sentence:

Every person operating a motor vehicle, other than a school bus, equipped with safety belts or a......

I am pretty sure it clearly states the law only applies to motor vehicles equipped with safety belts. This should be important for people who are in NJ and operating without seat belts. You will want to keep a copy of the law on hand to show it is probably legal for you to transport children in you car without seat belts since the car was produced before seat belts.

I will state that I have installed seat belts in my cars without belts as I prefer to not take chances.
I realize a lot of people want to take the kids out for a drive and it would be smart to know the law. My kids have gone around the neighborhood in my brothers coupe without seat belts.
I wouldn't let my kids ride in a car without them. When son was with weeks old I put a belts in my roadster one night out for a short ride we were hit in the right front of the car my wife was thrown out of the car and spent ten days in the hospital. The only belt I put in was for a rear facing baby seat I hurt my leg but my son could of been killed. When I rerestored it I put in a full set, the moral of the story is it was just in the neighborhood instead of having a law have the belts.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Terry, NJ

Not to get political, but nanny state stuff like this is why I moved out of NJ. One more thing for the police to give you a ticket for!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Joe K

Not to quibble - but a policeman doesn't need the law to cite you for "child endangerment." - a completely separate possibility not by itself related to automobiles - but COULD be in the policeman's judgment.

So waiving the law (and a possibiliity of excusion on the basis of applicability) in the policeman's face will probably only enrage the pig, er police, and cause him to find another legal puddle to drag you into.

Better to maintain a "grey man" attitude - and protect your children as well as you can with what you have.

And remember Ms. Rand who was visionary...
Quote:
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
Joe K
Old 05-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Just remember, the police officer is hired to enforce the law for the protection of the public. He knows the law like the back of his hand because he has received professional schooling. When a new law is passed they are schooled in its enforcement. Yes they are just regular people and let me assure you that if you refer to them as a " pig " you can be assured you will be ticketed !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
bobH

delete

Last edited by bobH; 05-14-2015 at 10:56 AM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Bruce Adams

Hi KEVIN,
Thanks for the citation.
but...
PLEASE READ the ENTIRE NJ DMV statute you provided regarding seat belts, PARTICULARLY PARAGRAPH 4, which DOES NOT have that cavaet stating "vehicles equipped with seat belts." It looks to me as if Paragraph states ALL children must be properly harnessed, and does not contain that same exclusion.
Lets discuss it off line.
Is your little guy working on the car yet?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Bill's Auto Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Just remember, the police officer is hired to enforce the law for the protection of the public. He knows the law like the back of his hand because he has received professional schooling. When a new law is passed they are schooled in its enforcement. Yes they are just regular people and let me assure you that if you refer to them as a " pig " you can be assured you will be ticketed !
Wayne

I think you forgot to put LOL after those first 2 sentences! Most cops know very few of the laws pertaining to anything other than the basic everyday stuff & of course the stuff that generates revenue. None of which has anything to do with safety.

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

this thread went south quick
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Joe K

Sorry on the "pig" reference. I was trying to draw a long bow on the quote:

Quote:
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.
George Bernard Shaw

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...DXKuDSxDjWO.99
As to the legal knowledge of Officers, my best take on it says "it varies." They are paid to enforce the law as they see it - its just sometimes their vision is a little clouded.

They are human - which is why we have rule of law.

Best is to let one's council deal with an issue if one is not prepared to pay the fine and move on.

Joe K