Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Ianrhall

Default Help identifying my axle please

My jailbar truck has a different rear axle fitted,
Hoping to establish what car/truck it is from. Hopefully I might be able to change gearing later if necessary.
Whether I can find parts in the uk is another thing!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.6 KB, 99 views)
Ianrhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Fordors

Default Re: Help identifying my axle please

Looks like a Dana 44, used in later Ford pickups ('49-'56 I think), '49-'51 Merc, early Jeeps, and a host of others.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

If it has early Ford 5X5 1/2 pattern (and is not redrilled!) I think that would reduce the pool of candidates to F1 pickup and '49-51 mercury...I think!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Ianrhall

How easy to change gearing on these?
Ian
Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Gear changing is all about the same on the later open rear ends. It is not easy unless you know what your doing. You normally have to set the pinion depth, backlash, check the gear pattern, that sort of thing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
bobH

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My initial guess would also have been D-44. The '10' bolts are right. General shape is about right. But, D-44's that I'm familiar with have a very straight edge, both on the left, and on the right of the cover, between the two left (or right) bolts. I'd suggest do a google on dana 44 diff covers, look at the pictures that pop up, and try to convince yourself either yes or no.
Another thing about D-44's... they almost always have '44' cast on them, somewhere. Take a good look, especially at the 'front' view, scrape off any gunk, and look for a '44' (or a '41', or ?). It's usually plenty big enough to see.
About changing gears, about like JSeery posted. I've spent a good deal of my 'mechanical-life' doing D-44's (& other Dana's), so I'd say 'easy'. But, if you haven't done one before, it might be at least intimidating, if not impossible.
We could talk you through it, here.
(To add to what Bruce posted... other possibilities include some Jeep models, and Scouts, both have 5-5.5. Look at axle ends, are they flanged, or tapered with hubs, like pre-48 Ford?)

After looking more closely at the bolt pattern on your diff, vs a D-44 diff, I'd conclude that you do NOT have a D-44. I think if you look closely at the D-41 cover, you might agree that yours is a D-41 ??? (Last I was aware, some of the D-41 parts are nearly impossible to find, unless you consider used.)

Last edited by bobH; 05-04-2015 at 05:53 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Check on the HAMB. I think the rear axle gurus over there have mentioned 2 generations...a proto-44 including the 1949 Merc and F1, and a late one as used on many medium applications more recently. There is PARTIAL interchangeability. Those guys may be able to tell you what's what...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Dana 41 for 48/49 F1 & 49 Merc. They have a smaller diameter carrier than the 44 and are hard to source parts for.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:58 AM   #9
scooder

It is definitely a Dana 41. As fitted to some early F1's.
Also fitted to some 49-50 Merc's. The Merc has the spring pads originally fitted to the bottom of the axle casing.
Parts are hard to find, especially the crown and pinion.
Tip, the Dana 41 rear ends I've player with usually have at least one broken crown wheel to diff carrier bolt. Often times not that obvious, they seem to (luckily) stay in place. Bend back the locking tan washers and give the bolts a turn to verify all's well. Easy access after pulling the cover on the back.
A's for ratios, 3.92:1 or 4.27:1 most common, I think their was a 3.lower number fitted to Merc-o-matic cars.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
rotorwrench

The Spicer Dana 41 pre-dates the Merc-O-Matic. On the Mercs they were limited to the ratios Scooder mentioned like the early 8M 3.91:1, 4.27:1, 4.55, and the 0M 3.92:1. They only have a 5 5/8" carrier where the later Dana 44 had a 6 5/8 carrier. The axles, side gears, & bearings all interchange but the case, R & P gears, & differential carrier do not.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:42 AM   #11
Ianrhall

There's some evidence of some old bracketry "expertly" removed from under the axle.
The casing has cleaned up quite nicely,still attached to the truck,don't want to disturb the brakes.
Presumably the original axle broke decades ago and this was fitted. I was hoping parts would be easier to find for this one! Hoped to be able to achieve a sensible cruising speed
Ian
Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #12
scooder

They 41's your kinda stuck as far as smaller number ratios go.
The plus side to this axle over the stock for your truck is the fact you can plop the brake drums off easy, no special tools. Brakes are bendix pattern, much cheaper wheel cylinders, getable almost any place.
And safe axles, if you break a half shaft the wheel doesn't bugger off into a ditch.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
4t8v8

Dana 41. When I rebuilt mine Randy's Ring and Pinion had every part I needed. Excellent prices and shipping. Some of the Jeep suppliers also had parts.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote