Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
frank long island

Default Shift adjustment

I'm having trouble with the shifter on my 64 ranchero 6 cyl auto when i start the car the trans drops from park to reverse is there a lock out in the column or on the trans tried adj. The arm from trans to shifter no luck i'm stumped
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
rick55

Default Re: Shift adjustment

Every Ford shift I have seen has a little raised section on the detent plate which effectively holds the selector lever in park. This is at the shifter location, not on the box. You will probably find that on your car it is worn or sloppy and this allows the shifter to drop. The weight of the shifter on a column may be enough to cause it to drop out.
This is a picture off the Internet which shows a detent plate - don't know the application. The deep notch would be park and shows why you need to pull the lever back to change. There is a spring loaded pawl which needs to be retracted to move out of park.

Hope this helps
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford

Last edited by rick55; 12-05-2012 at 09:13 PM.
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
parklane

Not sure about the 6 cyl, but have had a few 8 cylinder cars jump from park into reverse. One in particular, we were doing a diagnostic check in our shop. Hooked up to analyser and running about 1500rpm for dynamic compression. All of a sudden, it jumped into reverse, and draged the scope with it as it backed through the closed shop door.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

The Ford-O-Matic in my '55 Courier does the same thing.
It all started when I had it parked on a sloped parking lot and the parking brake cable broke, which caused the entire weight of the car to rest against the park pawl inside the trans. I had to use force to get the gear select lever out of park position. Its never been the same since.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Ole Don

There was a recall on some of the auto gear box shifters back then. Mine was not included, but I did get in the habit of always useing the parking brake just in case.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
gregk

I agree with Rick, the detent plate below the steering wheel gets worn out after many years of just hauling the shifter down out of park. The proper operation ,is you all know, is to pull the shifter towards the steering wheel then into gear.
i noticed this wear in my 54 Ranchwagon when I had the wheel off and was adapting the shifter lever to operate a C-6 (needed an extra gear position for low)
The metal was almost worn through and it was easy to understand where a little vibration or even the weight of the shifter could move the lever out of park especially if the spring is weak.
i welded up the worn areas and it seems to operate fine.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote