Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
bikemaniac

Smile Comfortable daily mileage for transam trip?

Hi,

As some might remember, I want to drive my Model A across the USA following the Lincoln Highway. The distance is 3300 miles and I plan to leave at 7am and stop for accommodation between 4pm and 6pm to avoid driving at night. I don't plan for any rest days and I don't plan for any excessive sightseeing. Just driving and talking to people along the road.

What is a good daily mileage to avoid being totally beat up at the end of each day - and more so after 3300 miles?

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
captndan

Default Re: Comfortable daily mileage for transam trip?

I used to say 400 a day now I say 300. That's in a newer car with good seats and cruise control. In my Model A maybe 200 would be max. Fact is the older you get the smaller your butt gets. Take a whoopie cushion and your mileage may improve.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Rex_A_Lott

If you know when you're starting and stopping, just drive how its comfortable and enjoy the ride, let the mileage fall where it falls...unless you have to be in a hurry. Good Luck to you!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
bikemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
If you know when you're starting and stopping, just drive how its comfortable and enjoy the ride, let the mileage fall where it falls...unless you have to be in a hurry. Good Luck to you!
I need to roughly plan my return ticket.
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

200 miles a day and one day a week for rest and or repairs. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
katy

How fast do you plan on driving? If you drive at 40 MPH you'll average about 30 MPH per day. I'd guesstimate 200-300 miles per day average.
YMMV
Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
CarlG

Our club did our "Spring Breakup" tour yesterday. Total of a little over 300 miles. Was an easy drive, mostly at 45-50mph. Pictures on FaceBook, Alaskan A's.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Pictures on FaceBook, Alaskan A's.
Awww... I always enjoy pictures, don't do The Facebook tho.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
eagle

I would plan on 2 weeks at the VERY least. If you get to your destination early there are always day trips. A Model A is the perfect vehicle for "takin' it easy".
Old 04-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
TerryH

Carl----I checked out the Alaskan A's Facebook page.....very nice, and some great photos! Is your wife the official photographer? Looks like you guys had a nice run. I think I mentioned to you before I was in the AF at Elmendorf, 1969-1971, lived on Government Hill. Still miss Alaska, have some wonderful memories of living there.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I would drive 40 to 45 and plan to make 200 to 300 miles a day, depending on what you stop to see. Take a break to stretch and don't rush to make a deadline.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
wmws
BANNED

I think 200-300 is doable without feeling too rushed. Two years ago I drove to French Lick Indiana which was 750 miles from here. I took two and one half days on back roads. Didn't stop much to sight see but didn't rush too much either. One other comment. I have driven across the country on both Rt 30 and Rt 50. Rt 50 is a much more scenic and interesting road in my opinion. Rt 30 especially in the east can be quite congested and not much fun. I would research both and make up your mind. Have a good trip and keep us posted.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
DougVieyra

Acceptable comfort level: 300 miles the first day. 5 miles the last day.

Be sure to allow time EACH DAY - for vigilant "up keep, repair, and maintenance".
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Guess I don't know much about long trips like you plan, but it would seem like a number of things would need to be considered. First of all, what do you have on your A? Touring or otherwise. What shape is it in? Just been restored, etc. and lastly how old are you and what can you stand? Also where do you plan to stay for the nights? Some places in the US may have many miles between places to stay-like 300 to 500 miles??? (last comment from a guy from the left coast of the US)

Anyway just a few guesses as to what you may need to consider for your trip.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
JtownJoe

That's a great drive. I'm sure you will enjoy it. When you get just a few miles west of Bedford, PA around the town of Schellsburg, there are a few barns painted with scene that feature Model A's, one of them is on a friends barn. it's pretty cool.
I noticed that you are from Copenhagen, my daughter married a young man from Copenhagen and I really enjoyed spending some time over there. Great city and just so much history!!
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
Synchro909

I've easily done 300 miles in a day while towing but after the second day, we slowed down to about 200-250. That is with an overdrive which makes things easier for both car and driver. I suspect you will need to plan where you are going to stay ahead of time. Some days will be longer than others and don't forget to allow time for talking to people who will gather when you stop.
Good quality tyres will also make driving much easier. You won't have to chase the car all over the place.
Form one long distance Aer to another - be prepared and trust your car. Don't rush but keep at it and the miles will slide under the car before you know it.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Guess I don't know much about long trips like you plan, but it would seem like a number of things would need to be considered. First of all, what do you have on your A? Touring or otherwise. What shape is it in? Just been restored, etc. and lastly how old are you and what can you stand? Also where do you plan to stay for the nights? Some places in the US may have many miles between places to stay-like 300 to 500 miles??? (last comment from a guy from the left coast of the US)

Anyway just a few guesses as to what you may need to consider for your trip.
this is true, in the midwest/west you may get more miles a day due to less towns you have to slow down and or stop at thier only flashing red light. and you must go around thier square as all main roads in towns seem to do.

but near bigger cities you may onyl get 200 miles a day or less due to traffic lights and more congestion.

and out in nebraska and those states its always fun on the interstate at least where ti says next exit 60 miles - this doesnt gurantee there will be anything at said exit besides a dirt road. plus there is very spotty cell phone coverage if any so dont rely on that if you get in a pinch.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

How about trying this, pick a direction and drive 100 miles turn around and drive back towards home. If that felt good, go an additional 50 miles turn and return home.

This way you will know how it feels to drive multiple miles, 200 and 300 in one trip, determining the gas stops, food breaks etc. only traveling a few actual miles from home.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #19
Jordan

When we were on our way to the museum grand opening, we did 750 miles the first day in the Model A. That was a long day, but doable. We started at 6AM I believe and we didn't stop until dark. We would of gone 800 miles but my muffler fell off. We came the 1,300 miles back in 2 days. We did drive more aggressively than most and we also only stopped when the gas tank was empty. In a more stock A, we probably would of only gone about 500 miles. But even then- we wouldn't have been able to stop and look around. Wish we had taken more time to see what was around us- but we were pressed for time.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #20
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Carl----I checked out the Alaskan A's Facebook page.....very nice, and some great photos! Is your wife the official photographer? Looks like you guys had a nice run. I think I mentioned to you before I was in the AF at Elmendorf, 1969-1971, lived on Government Hill. Still miss Alaska, have some wonderful memories of living there.
My wife is the "unofficial" photographer. Others took pictures as well. We accompanied the group in her modern car since mine isn't quite ready. Still lack a couple more weeks till I get mine "on the road again."
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote