Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
1940 Gal

Question 1940 coupe rubber mat

Does anyone know of replacement material for original floor rubber for 1940 Coupe. Rubber mat goes under dash to under front seat. Material is textured and .075 thick
1940 Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 1940 coupe rubber mat

Available here:
http://www.cgfordparts.com/
Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Kube

I would like to add a note here... the authentic mats in all models, both the Ford V8 (aka Standard) and the Deluxe were brown(Benton Gray). Ford never made a black mat for the Ford V8 (again, aka Standard).
Carpenter acquired the mat molds a while back and is the only manufacture of the mats. All other companies must buy them from him for resale to the public. The closest you'll get in color in a repop mat is from Carpenter as he is currently selling them in the more accurate color than previously being sold. I don't believe other suppliers have this color available as yet.

Last edited by Kube; 02-12-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Terry,OH

I believe there is a second shade of the Taupe color soon to come out.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
1940 Gal

thank you Kube for your response re mat. Unfortunately my term "Mat" was misleading. What I am looking for is the original rubber that covered the body between the dash and under the seat. Thickness .075 with a small pyramid design. This was glued to the body, not loose. Thanks for replying and my apologies for misleading. 1940 Gal
1940 Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940 Gal View Post
thank you Kube for your response re mat. Unfortunately my term "Mat" was misleading. What I am looking for is the original rubber that covered the body between the dash and under the seat. Thickness .075 with a small pyramid design. This was glued to the body, not loose. Thanks for replying and my apologies for misleading. 1940 Gal
Not 100% certain what you are attempting to define here. Is this under the rubber floor mat? Does it appear similar to the attached photo?
Authentic coupes did not have anything beneath the seat. On the side of each seat was what was called a "filler mat". It was the same color and texture as the rear edge of the front floor mat. Behind the seat, on the floor (package area) was a tar paper. Much like modern day roll roofing material but thicker...
Perhaps you can send me an email with a photo of what you are looking for or even point at the specific area???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor pads.JPG (102.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Terry,OH

Bob Drake sells the tar paper in two thicknesses. The thicker one will work but be aware his material has been separating seems it is two layers. It does have the proper pattern. Also used to line the tool compartment and filler in the trunk lid. May have to heat it with a hot air gun to get it to fit tight bends.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Bob Drake sells the tar paper in two thicknesses. The thicker one will work but be aware his material has been separating seems it is two layers. It does have the proper pattern. Also used to line the tool compartment and filler in the trunk lid. May have to heat it with a hot air gun to get it to fit tight bends.
Terry, the paper Drake sells is a good copy (sans the two layers you'd mentioned) to the stuff in the tool tray area and the trunk lid lining.
The picture I attached here on a previous post are the insulating mats of a 39 closed car.
In 1940, these were not used. The paper on the floor behind the coupe seat is plain. That is, no texture, just like modern day roll roofing material found at any roofing supply company.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
Topsterguy

Does the rubber matting for the 40 come with any other holes pre cut other than for the pedals and column? In my 36 coupe I have put a 5 speed so the shifter is back a few inches , which left a hole in the mat where the stock shifter was. I'm hoping the 40 mat will be at least close and I can cut the hole for the new shifter. Also would like it in black if possible. Thanks!
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsterguy View Post
Does the rubber matting for the 40 come with any other holes pre cut other than for the pedals and column? In my 36 coupe I have put a 5 speed so the shifter is back a few inches , which left a hole in the mat where the stock shifter was. I'm hoping the 40 mat will be at least close and I can cut the hole for the new shifter. Also would like it in black if possible. Thanks!
The '40 mat is available in black and cheaper to boot! The holes that come precut are the gas pedal, the gas pedal rod, the clutch & brake pedals and the country beam switch.
No clue how it will fit in a '36...
Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Topsterguy

I ordered the black mat from Carpenter and it's perfect, top quality, and the price ($129) was great. Will need to be trimmed around the edges a little bit but the holes for clutch, brake, gas pedal etc all line up. If you put a 5 speed in your car and need to reposition the shifter hole this will work great and look "original", Thanks all for the info!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Pomeroy41144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsterguy View Post
I ordered the black mat from Carpenter and it's perfect, top quality, and the price ($129) was great. Will need to be trimmed around the edges a little bit but the holes for clutch, brake, gas pedal etc all line up. If you put a 5 speed in your car and need to reposition the shifter hole this will work great and look "original", Thanks all for the info!
Not to hijack the thread. Could you please post a photo of your install?

Looks like the shifter would have to go back quite a ways. Maybe too close to a bench seat. Could you post a photo?
Pomeroy41144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeroy41144 View Post
Looks like the shifter would have to go back quite a ways. Maybe too close to a bench seat.
NOT too close to a bench seat if you use an S-10-type tailshaft HOUSING, or a Jeep 4X4 tailshaft housing like in the picture below. These tailsgaft housings move the shifter much farther forward, to a location only about 7" behind the Henry Ford 3-speed shifter location. The picture below is a Camaro T5 with Jeep 4X4 tailshsft housing and tailshaft which we made-up to achieve the shortest T5 that can be assembled. It's shown here behind an 8BA flathead in a '35 Ford pick-up truck. Note the distance FORWARD of the bench seat riser. And yes, that's a torque tube bolted to the back of the T5. Click on T5 W/TORQUE TUBE on the lower left for the full story! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeroy41144 View Post
Not to hijack the thread. Could you please post a photo of your install?

Looks like the shifter would have to go back quite a ways. Maybe too close to a bench seat. Could you post a photo?
Sorry the car is at another location right now, but the new shifter location is fine. I will take a pic ASAP and post it.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
NOT too close to a bench seat if you use an S-10-type tailshaft HOUSING, or a Jeep 4X4 tailshaft housing like in the picture below. These tailsgaft housings move the shifter much farther forward, to a location only about 7" behind the Henry Ford 3-speed shifter location. The picture below is a Camaro T5 with Jeep 4X4 tailshsft housing and tailshaft which we made-up to achieve the shortest T5 that can be assembled. It's shown here behind an 8BA flathead in a '35 Ford pick-up truck. Note the distance FORWARD of the bench seat riser. And yes, that's a torque tube bolted to the back of the T5. Click on T5 W/TORQUE TUBE on the lower left for the full story! DD

Yup, that's exactly where mine is , and I used a complete T-5 out of an S-10.