Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Woven brake shoes

I'm ready to replace my brake shoes even though they're not worn out because they keep squealing even though I've sanded them to rough them up. I've heard that woven shoes don't squeal like the molded ones do. True? If so, where do I get them for my 47 sedan?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Woven brake shoes

Henry, you must have bought the modern type shoes that have lots of brass bits inclusions. This is done today due to federal asbestos requirements. they are much thinner, but due to the brass, they last just as long, but require more pedal pressure. And, they squeel.

Go to a speed shop. They can set you up with racing or off road shoes that aren't subject to Big Brothers whims.

Woven shoes were used until sometime in 1937, when they were replaced with molded. Woven will stop on a dime, grab and hold till your tire rubs bald. Woven needs replacing very often compared to molded.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
B-O-B

I bought mine from C W Moss in Orange,Ca. Macs lists them in their catalog you might also give all ford parts in Campbell,Ca or C&g in San Diego. Might give Joblots a try also.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
johnh7

Woven is only better for mechanical brakes. Go with ford38v8's advise.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, you must have bought the modern type shoes that have lots of brass bits inclusions. This is done today due to federal asbestos requirements. they are much thinner, but due to the brass, they last just as long, but require more pedal pressure. And, they squeel.

Go to a speed shop. They can set you up with racing or off road shoes that aren't subject to Big Brothers whims.

Woven shoes were used until sometime in 1937, when they were replaced with molded. Woven will stop on a dime, grab and hold till your tire rubs bald. Woven needs replacing very often compared to molded.
So, if I understand correctly, I have to choose between brake shoes that squeal but last longer versus shoes that don't squeal but have to be replaced more often?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
So, if I understand correctly, I have to choose between brake shoes that squeal but last longer versus shoes that don't squeal but have to be replaced more often?
No, I think you are misunderstanding, three selections were discussed (and one, the woven is really not an option). 1) Woven - mechanical only and wear out quickly 2) Modern molded - harder material and squeal 3) Off-road - more like original material and not subject to regulation.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #7
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
No, I think you are misunderstanding, three selections were discussed (and one, the woven is really not an option). 1) Woven - mechanical only and wear out quickly 2) Modern molded - harder material and squeal 3) Off-road - more like original material and not subject to regulation.
correct.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #8
Old Henry

Don't know where I'd get the "off road" shoes but I assume they don't squeal. How do they last compared to the others?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:21 AM   #9
ford38v8

Henry, Go to a speed shop or a friction products specialty supply.
Second question, they last like they used to before the govt stuck its nose in our business.