Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
t-head

Default Old Cars, a Muddy Road and Some Incredible Tractors and Road Building Equipment

We are right in the middle of Vermont "Mud Season" now so we thought it was a good time to show old photos of cars and travel on muddy roads taken in 1927 only one year before the Model "A" came out. The photo really puts into perspective what many of our old cars including the Model "A" had to go through when new.

Also found were a pair of fascinating photos and detailed enlargements showing huge early tractors and road building equipment not to be missed.
See it all on The Old Motor.

t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
roccaas

Default Re: Old Cars, a Muddy Road and Some Incredible Tractors and Road Building Equipment

Is that Winston Churchill on top of the scraper?

Interesting pics, thanks for posting.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Default Re: Old Cars, a Muddy Road and Some Incredible Tractors and Road Building Equipment

Boy, those were the days ! And we wonder why our axles and frames are a little warped.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
John Stone

Helped a friend line bore a Big 4 engine a couple years ago. Took 5 bearings and 2 shafts from a Kwik Way LBM. Two people could lift the crankshaft but it was a load. When it ran, it shook the whole building. They also made a 6 cylinder version.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
is that winston churchill on top of the scraper?

Interesting pics, thanks for posting.
lol!!
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Roadster62

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks John, you made me look at the photo again, I just thought they were Steam Traction Engines. No smoke stacks so they are gas powered, I've never seen early tractors like this. More info is always of interest to me. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Helped a friend line bore a Big 4 engine a couple years ago. Took 5 bearings and 2 shafts from a Kwik Way LBM. Two people could lift the crankshaft but it was a load. When it ran, it shook the whole building. They also made a 6 cylinder version.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Was that the guy that built the engine from scratch?

It's amazing how few were made and how many are still around!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Was that the guy that built the engine from scratch?

It's amazing how few were made and how many are still around!
The engine for the 6 cylinder was pulled out of a river. Not a lot was able to be used so they fabricated stuff by casting parts and welding it all together. Quite a feat. Prime mover on the project was named Ottaway. The final welding and assembly was done by my friend Jerry Abplanalp. He used to do all my cleaning and surfacing on A blocks but had a stroke last August and is down for the count. Still alive but doesn't even know me when I visit.

There is a big tractor show in Cosby ND in July. That is where the 6 cylinder resides along with a lot more including steam.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
eagle

The "Oil Pull" tractors replaced the steam engine tractors. I love to hear them run and they can pull! Unbelievable heavy, almost like the steam engine tractors, very slow but unstoppable. If they ever got stuck, really stuck, the only way to get them out was by planking.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Mafman

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Mafman is offline   Reply With Quote