Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
t-head

Default Neat Period Photo of The M.C. Rogers Engineering Equipment Model "A" Showpiece

The M.C. Rogers Engineering Speed Equipment Model "A" Showpiece: Check out this cool mobile showroom that Rodger's built in 1931 to show off the speed equipment they manufactured. See an interesting photo of the glass-paneled hood and the engine with the Trojan Dome Head and Dual Carb Manifold on The Old Motor.

Last edited by t-head; 03-19-2014 at 04:01 PM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Neat Period Photo of The M.C. Rodgers Engineering Equipment Model "A" Showpiece

There two different trucks in these photos. The first one in the thread has a chicken wire side hood panel and I just noticed an early 28 rear bumper. The one in the link has a glass hood side panel. The way I noticed them as being different is the fuel/vacuum lines are different. Either that or they were taken at different times during the trucks life time but I doubt that.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Tiny

Default Re: Neat Period Photo of The M.C. Rodgers Engineering Equipment Model "A" Showpiece

Neat pic thanks for sharing. I wish I had that setup on my coupe!! It looks like 32 wheels also!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
zzlegend

Nice picture. Wonder where that truck is today? Hum.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Bob-A

Question Re: Neat Period Photo of The M.C. Rodgers Engineering Equipment Model "A" Showpiece

I think the two pics have the same truck. The wire mesh you see in the first pic is a type of safety glass reinforcement. You can't see the mesh in the second pic due to the angle of the opened hood which caused a reflection on the glass. Also, you are looking at the fuel/vacuum lines at two different angles. The wheels have split ring rims and are not Ford, maybe Lincoln?? Whatever?!?...one cool looking rig!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
BlueSunoco

Lordy Lordy,,, a modified Model A go over to the H.A.M.B. forum you

Neat picture thanks I really enjoy seeing them! And the old gas pumps too.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Here is my Trojan dual updraft. I use B carbs on mine. I see that they have the chokes connected, I'll bet that it was easy to flood. I only use the choke on the front carb, same on my speedster with a Uni Flo dual updraft with B carbs.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
1930artdeco

OK Bob, you are right, I was looking at them at a different angle.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Tiny

Purdy your killing me!!!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
kelley's restoration

that hood is cool
i think i may make one like it
tk
Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
t-head

Glad that you are enjoying the photos, it is such a neat truck. It would be interesting to learn more about the body - was it made by Ford, or an outside supplier? Other photos of these bodies have been seen that feature smooth upper side panels and faux carriage lamps and we have always been curious about them.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
Hicktick

Default Re: Neat Period Photo of The M.C. Rogers Engineering Equipment Model "A" Showpiece

I am sure the glass hood panel caused vapor lock in Calf. heat .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
t-head

Default Re: Neat Period Photo of The M.C. Rogers Engineering Equipment Model "A" Showpiece

After doing some research it was found the this truck is wearing Dayton wire wheels w/lock-rings which where available at the time.

It would be interesting to see what you Model "A" experts know about the body - was it made by Ford, or an outside supplier?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Fordors

Info from Ford Life, Volume 4 Number 2, March-April 1974 tells is that "...by the addition of 17" accessory lock ring wheels and a strange body shape the familiar lines of a 1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Delivery show through. The company seems to have gone to great pains to obtain a custom look as the reveals and rear body section, as well as the top outline, had been altered." Also noted was the (in their words) alien rear bumper. Their photo is cropped and does not show the open end of what has to be an early '28 bumper as noted before.
This photo shows that only one side of the hood had the glass panel, only the Trojan set-up needed to be highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (39.6 KB, 68 views)
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
t-head

Fordors: Thanks for the info that was in the Ford Life. Whoever wrote what you posted appears to think that the standard "1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Delivery" body was customized.

We have a vague recollection of seeing other bodies in this same exact style. Can anyone tell us more about this delivery body?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
1931 flamingo

Looks like it's got a stoneguard also. MY, my.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
SkipShift

Extra power and cooling is needed to get up Nob Hill.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
Fordors

Lots of differences here, look at the passenger side tail lamp, the Deluxe Delivery had a low, center mounted lamp. As far as the bodies go Budd and Briggs built the DD's for Ford AFAIK, but this one has the roof fabric starting higher up the side profile and the upper reveal is eliminated too. Delivery's and sedans had that fabric cut on an angle at the rear corner as compared to the Rogers truck, and the side panels are flush, not inset like a regular Delivery where it looks like an elongated, blanked out window opening, and the upswept reveal continuing from the side reveal is missing too.. Rear quarter looks longer in back of fender, might be less of a radius to rear of body, and the quarters don't wrap around like a typical sedan based body, there is a vertical seam where the rear panel is joined to the quarters. Also, a drip rail was added over the doors. Looks like it was extensively modified to my eye.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #19
Dave Mellor NJ

looks like the back corner of the door is rounded like a 32-34 pickup door and the front bumper has the typical sag towards the driver's side.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #20
Roadster62

Note the chromed windsheild frame. Is that visor a standard 30-31? Bob