Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2022, 10:00 PM   #1
Cool Hand Lurker

Default 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Engine is starting to make valve noise and occasionally slips into what sounds like the old hit-and-miss engines. Probably the cam phaser mechanism. Will any other engines work to replace the 2004-2006 F150 5.4 with about 140,000 miles?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:43 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post

Engine is starting to make valve noise and occasionally slips into what sounds like the old hit-and-miss engines. Probably the cam phaser mechanism. Will any other engines work to replace the 2004-2006 F150 5.4 with about 140,000 miles?
...whew ...

Have you had it diagnosed? It would have to be replaced by a good take-out or reman because of the ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and FED/STATE emissions laws. I would think it to be easier and cheaper to go through it.

- https://driveceladon.com/ford-5-4l-t...gine-problems/

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
56sedandelivery

Default Re: 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Isn't that the years they had all that trouble with the engine? Notably the spark plugs
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post

Isn't that the years they had all that trouble with the engine? Notably the spark plugs
CLICK on the URL I gave ...

I would rather fight the spark plug(s) rather the the cams timing.

FORD is not the FOMOCO of the earlier years.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 12-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
Cool Hand Lurker

I don't know how long it will last but if I put Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas it helps a bit. I have been told by another owner that changing the oil more frequently helps. I had the spark plugs changed a couple of years ago and they came out OK except for a couple. I followed the method of first warming up the engine, then tightening the sparkplugs a tiny bit just to break the seal, then shooting the threads with PBblaster and letting it set for about an hour. Then most of the plugs came out easier.

I really want this truck to be my last one. I hate to get into a newer truck with LCD screens that have all the directions for every function, that you can't read or set while driving. And the buzzers, dingers, chimes that are always going off. And the traction control that makes it impossible to drive in snow if you learned how to really drive in it years ago. I'm 84. I want to enjoy driving with ME in control of the truck. And yes, it is only two wheel drive, no problem.

Has anybody here done a Ford 5.4-to-Cummins diesel conversion? I hear that swap is a real problem-solver that will work for years.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
craig

The diesel swap would cost a bunch of money, add a lot of weight to the frontend, most likely require a stronger transmission as well as not meet the EPA requirements to get it licensed to drive. For the cost of this alone you could find a qualified shop to replace the engine with a Ford reman and get a real warranty with it
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Cipher On These With Morning Coffee (and JD) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MARIUcyEnSk

https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/...phasers-429633

https://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/bil...v-details.html

If unable to do it yourself, the problem will be finding an honest qualified shop. If you take it to a dealer it will ride a cash service order and they will stick you.

Have or perform #1 above done first to see if the engine needs to be gone into or replaced.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #8
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
The diesel swap would cost a bunch of money, add a lot of weight to the frontend, most likely require a stronger transmission as well as not meet the EPA requirements to get it licensed to drive. For the cost of this alone you could find a qualified shop to replace the engine with a Ford reman and get a real warranty with it

Thank you, you answered a couple of questions that were in my mind. Good advice, too.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I preferred the 2-valve modular engines. They had fixed cams and were less troublesome. They didn't have as much torque but they weren't all that far behind. They were used along with the new 3-valve set up in 2004 for F150s but that was the last year for the 2-valve.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-19-2022 at 08:09 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I preferred the 2-valve modular engines. They had fixed cams and were less troublesome. They didn't have as much torque but they weren't all that far behind. They were used along with the new 3-valve set up in 2004 for F150s but that was the last year for the 2-valve.

Thanks for that info! I wonder if the 2-valve, fixed cam 2004 engine would just drop into my 2006 F150 to replace the 3-valve, cam phaser engine? That engine was used 2004-2006 F150 trucks, so maybe that switch is possible?
Old 12-20-2022, 04:31 PM   #11
craig

The 2v will bolt up to the trans, but the pcm and wiring are different. It would be a nightmare to swap
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post

The 2v will bolt up to the trans, but the pcm and wiring are different. It would be a nightmare to swap
!!! AMEM !!!

You would need a donor. Much quicker and easier ($$$) to bite the bullet w GENUINE FORD PARTS and somebody who knows what the hell they are doing and can trust them (IMO)

Old 12-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #13
Cool Hand Lurker

Reman 5.4 is around $2500, reman 4.6 is around $3200, diesel is off the wall, driving mine until it drops is $-0-..... so I think I will choose the last alternative. Then tow it home and then put in the reman 5.4 original engine.

Thanks for all the responses!
They were all good and right on spot.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #14
1942deluxe

When you do install a remanufactured engine check if your engine is a Windsor or Romeo engine. Your local Ford dealer can run what they call an oasis report and that will tell you.
I may be wrong but my recollection is there were two versions of the 5.4.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #15
oldbugger

had some of the same issues you have. I changed to 20-50 and most issues disappeared.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #16
rotorwrench

There actually three versions of the 4.6 and 5.4 engines. There are 2-valve, 3-valve, and 4-valve versions. The only major problems on these are the plastic intake manifolds on the earlier ones and those cam timing actuators on the later ones.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 2004-2006 Ford 5.4 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post

When you do install a remanufactured engine check if your engine is a Windsor or Romeo engine. Your local Ford dealer can run what they call an oasis report and that will tell you.

I may be wrong but my recollection is there were two versions of the 5.4.
GOOD INFO!

WINDSOR, ESSEX and/or ROMEO -

Quote:
The 2-valve 5.4 Triton engines were built at the Windsor Engine Plant until Ford moved the production to the Essex Engine plant starting in 2003. However, Ford took back the decision, and the production was taken took the Windsor plant again in 2009.

The high-performance 4-valve engines were built at the Romeo engine plant and were hand-assembled.
SOURCE - https://dustrunnersauto.com/ford-5-4...-need-to-know/

Old 12-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #18
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
had some of the same issues you have. I changed to 20-50 and most issues disappeared.

Thanks for the info. And I just had a conversation with another local friend who had the same issues and just changed the oil, with the same results.
I would like to say that I am going out to change the oil right away but Minnesota is on freeze-down, lock-down since the beginning of the week. Truck sits outside, minus zero temps, 7" snow, doors frozen shut for five days now. Bummmmmer !!
Old 12-22-2022, 08:13 PM   #19
oldbugger

i started by changing the cam actuators, didn't make a difference, but 20-50 did. good luck, cold here too up to 20" coming tonite and tommorrow.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #20
Cool Hand Lurker

Ahhh.... you are on the shore of Lake Michigan with the lake effect snow! And the wind will be coming from the lake. Go buy groceries, quick!