Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #1
Shoebox

Default Improved Grease Gun Coupler

I see numerous ads for improved grease gun coupler gadgets on line. They all appear to have an improved ability to grip the grease zerks, one hand operation, etc. I imagine there could be a good one among them as well as some junk. Can anyone share personal positive experience with a particular one? Thanks.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
Ricosan

Default Re: Improved Grease Gun Coupler

Shoebox,
I really like the idea so I bought a “Lock n Lube” on Amazon $29.95. It says it fits all zerk fittings. All but mine. I found it hard to work, especially with a little grease on your hand. It wouldn’t attach to my zerk fittings. I was very disappointed and wouldn’t recommend it.
I hope someone who has had a good experience with one will post.
Richard
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Shoebox,
I really like the idea so I bought a “Lock n Lube” on Amazon $29.95. It says it fits all zerk fittings. All but mine. I found it hard to work, especially with a little grease on your hand. It wouldn’t attach to my zerk fittings. I was very disappointed and wouldn’t recommend it.
Richard

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I see numerous ads for improved grease gun coupler gadgets on line. They all appear to have an improved ability to grip the grease zerks, one hand operation, etc. I imagine there could be a good one among them as well as some junk. Can anyone share personal positive experience with a particular one? Thanks.
I have had a few different "improved" types, none of which I was too fond of.
They do grip! Releasing them can be a bit of a challenge if the fitting is in an inconvenient spot.
Methinks new & improved is often only different.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Shoebox,
Richard
I have a flex hose on my grease gun and I got tired of having to prop the gun against something while I hold the standard coupling on and work the lever gun at the same time. The lock 'n lube works much better for me.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
flatford8

I have a lock-n-lube......it is hard to release at times but, I think it’s easier than trying to hold the fitting with one hand and pumping the gun with other........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:04 PM   #7
Shoebox

Thanks guys for the comments, both pro & con. Looking at any of these gadgets I can see they would not be best for confined spaces. "Lock& Lube" is one I have seen and will bear in mind that some of you have used them and they didn't come apart. I'll continue to look at some and probably pull the trigger on one and see how it works for me. Thanks.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:33 PM   #8
swedishsteel

I bought the lock and lube gun, spendy but it works good in 98% of zerk locations. Can be a little hard to attach in tight areas. I really like the zerk on the head to attach the hose when not in use--needs wiping but the end of the hose isn't spreading grease around. I use it on everything from lawn mower to heavy equipment. The gun itself is better quality than most at the local stores.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:16 PM   #9
petehoovie

Oscar Zerk - Informative Quiz - Fill in the blanks from the multiple-choice list below.

Oscar Zerk was an inventor born on May 16, 1878, in Vienna, which was the capital of ____________ (1). With the help of the Emperor, _____________ (2), Zerk was admitted to engineering college in Brno, which is now located in ______________ (3). After graduating, he became interested in the emerging automobile industry. He soon designed both a six-cylinder engine and proposed a form of automatic transmission. He traveled to the United States in 1907 to view the steam cars of the White Motor Company. During his trip over he was inspired to improve the system of lubrication then in use on automobiles – grease cups and oilers. Zerk eventually founded a company in ______ (4), Ohio, to produce an early version of what became the Zerk fitting. He was not the first person to think of forcing grease under pressure into joints and bearings, but his designs were very good. Unfortunately, Zerk’s business sense was not as good as his engineering skills and in 1913 he was forced out by his investors. After the Great War, he became involved in the Allyne-Zerk Company. In 1924 this company was purchased by Stewart-Warner, which also owned Alemite, a market leader in lubrication technology. Zerk became a stockholder and consulting engineer. In 1929 Zerk created a refined version of his lubrication nipple and assigned the patent to Alemite. Zerk pulled back from the business a bit in 1939 and moved to Kenosha, which is in _____________ (5). He remodeled a mansion and called it “Dunmovin.” He registered many more patents, over 300 in his lifetime. Oscar Zerk died in 1968, but his name lives on in the grease fitting that we still use to this day.

1] a-Austria b-Hungary c-Austro-Hungarian Empire

2] a-Joseph Leopold b-Napoleon Bonaparte c-Franz Josef

3] a-Czechia b-Austria c-Liechtenstein

4] a-Kalamazoo b-Cleveland c-York

5] a-Wisconsin b-Illinois c-Iowa

Answers: 1-C 2-C 3-A 4-B 5-A

How did you do?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 05-14-2023 at 04:38 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:01 PM   #10
Zeke3

Thanks Pete, that was fun. I think I got a 40%, is that a B?
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:54 PM   #11
Fritz

Lock N Lube coupler has worked well for me. It gets grease into zerks that just leak out on the normal push-on coupler. I bought the longer one, and I don’t see any cons using it.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:38 AM   #12
aussie merc

cant beat quality nipples and couplers NO NEED FOR GIMMICKS wipe clean before greasing and fit dust caps when greased 2 pumps on the gun to flush the end before using and fit a cap when finished DUST is a dirty word [it also has 4 letters ] . Spent years working on heavys in the worst conditions [Aussie n/west] so i might have learnt a thing or two . Best coupler i ever used didnt have any jaws or seals but sadly cant find them any more [they didnt wear out but did tend to block up if miss treated .]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote