Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
FamilyFord

Smile Back from hiatus, looking for input, again

Hi everyone. I know, I know.... I was here for a while then dropped out about a year ago, or so. I had some other things going on, let's say.

Now, I'm back in and looking for some help, if you can offer it.

There have been a few posts on engine rebuilders that I looked up, but only one in WI, Precision Engine & Machine, which I cannot seem to get ahold of now. I'm throwing some ideas around:
  • Rebuild the '34 flathead I pulled from the Vicky and re-install it.
  • Find a later flathead that will fit the original 3 speed tranny and motor mounts.
  • Go with an even later overhead valve engine with completely newer driveline.
    • I found a guy on Craigslist who has a '61 Falcon Ranchero with a "new" 302 and T-10 BW 4spd that I thought I could pull out everything and fit it up to the B model. (Might be a crazy idea, but I'd like to get this baby running again)
Any input will be much appreciated. I understand if there's no response, also, based upon my apparent lack of loyalty to the group. Hopefully we can work through that.

Thanks.
FamilyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Back from hiatus, looking for input, again

You are going to get lots of opinions based on personal bias here.

Put me in the camp of a later flathead to get the additional power and insert main bearings. Hydraulic brakes would be on my list, too.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Pete/Ct.

I agree with 40cpe. Pete/CT.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
super flat

I recommend flatjack in Oshkosh for a flathead rebuilder. You can call him at 920-235-2300 Good luck with you project ! Gary
super flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Mike51Merc

I'd hate to see the Falcon gutted for parts.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
VeryTangled

Howdy familyford, Welcome back!

Just went back and read a thread you started in January...
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ght=familyford

You didn't mention how anxious you are to get it on the road. Is it only the engine holding you back?

Did you decide you have a 1934 block from a 1934 car? If yes, I'd put my vote in for getting that one redone. You have history with the car, it's sorta unusual to have a correct year block, I'd guess, so have it fixed is my opinion. That should be the easiest one to put back in.

Now you need to find someone that knows babbiting, and bust out another thousand!

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Pete Fl/Wi

If you are in Northern Wi try Dave Hagen at NAPA machine shop in Rice Lake. He has done 3 flathead short blocks for me that run fine. I know he has done many for guys in the area. He will use your parts or he will supply everything.
Pete
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
FamilyFord

Thanks for the input. I've pretty much gave up on the idea of stripping out the ranchero. It actually is a pretty decent bodied truck, the engine is not original, obviously, nor the tranny. That is what kind of lead me to the ad on Craigslist. I looked at it yesterday and if I didn't have too many projects as it is, I'd consider getting it to fix up.
I also found a 53 flathead that needs to be freshened up, according to the seller. The guy says he has everything from the fan to the bell housing. This interests me. Apparently it would mount right up to my 34 trans and mount the same way on the frame.
The motor I have is apparently the original, as far as I know. I have no intention of parting with anything on this car, I just figured I could get it going and enjoy driving it around, while saving the original for a future project when there's more time.
So, any thoughts on the 53 motor? Or, does anyone here have any leads on a later flathead?
Thanks, again.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
40cpe

The 8BA style engine tends to be a little longer than the 59 style. That could be a problem in the '34, but someone be along soon that is familiar with that installation.

On the negative side, there is no provision for the stay-rods to connect to the 8BA and it will require a truck or Mercury bell housing to connect to the transmission.

Overall, a pre-49 engine will be a less complicated install.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
FamilyFord

Thanks for the info. I'm understanding there to be an adapter kit for the later flathead motors into the earlier chassis/driveline, which I need to research. I also found a '52 that's in a running Crestline that would probably work. It could even sacrifice the brake system, too, I think. Now I'm trying to piece everything together from a budgetary perspective on parts, then I can figure out the rest. The '52 might be kind of fun to drive around, too, so that could push my Vicky out even further! I've got too many projects as it is.....
Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Dave/Green Bay

I'd second flatjack9 in Oshkosh. Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
rotorwrench

If your time is worth a lot to you, I would find someone to rebuild the early 85HP block you have even if it requires a re-babbitt job. A 36 LB block is a good second choice for the replaceable main bearings. All other options will take more time and modification. A Ford small block V8 is a long motor that may require cutting the firewall to get a fit plus all the other mods to make the engine/transmission/rear axle fit. Even the 8BA family of engines will require mods to make one work. The more original the car is the more valuable it will be.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Mart

It shouldn't be too hard to find a later flatmotor that will bolt in. Any pre 8BA motor will be an easy bolt in. Ford designed them to be so. Any 59A motor will fit directly to the gearbox, the front mounts are accommodated with a simple adaptor (I made my own) and the only other thing that needs adaption is the top hoses, which are easily done with some bends and a couple of lengths of tubing.

I put an English Ford Pilot 21stud in my 33, and made the adaptions, I am now preparing a 59A for it, which will be a direct bolt in.

If originality is important to you, You could then either rebuild your original motor, build up a 36LB motor for it or any other combo that fits the original look better and drop that back in at a later date, undoing the adaptions previously made.

I have pics of the adaptions if you would find them helpful, they are in my "three month 33 survivor" thread. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77133

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
rotorwrench

The short snout cranks usually fit better in the early cars. The Long snout crank used starting in 1939 can sometimes be a challenge to clear the crossmember with a later type pulley on it. The 39 standard pulley is the best bet for long snout crankshafts but they are hard to find now days. A 59A type can have the front sheave cut off if you run the generator fan set up.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
FamilyFord

Thanks, again, for the input. Mart, your pictures and descriptions are inspirational, thanks. I am going to keep looking for another engine to put on the car. I have no intentions of ever selling it, so I will keep the original and eventually rebuild it to put it back in, like Mart says.
So, with that said, I am now looking for suggestions on juice brakes. Are there any recommendations on complete kits? I was thinking about finding another car to pull the system from, but that might not be the best idea. Thanks, again.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
rotorwrench

I don't know of any complete kits but you can still find round back spindles from the 37 thru 41 cars or the square back ones from 42 thru 48 and use those as a basis for 40 thru 48 brakes or purchase the Lincoln repop backing plates for the Bendix design brakes that will still work with Ford 12-inch drums or some of the repop Lincoln 12-inch drums. Getting the pedal assembly set up to work a master cylinder just depends on what fits the best for the 33/34 cars. Someone else may be able to steer you for the best pedal layout or modifiaction to use for this purpose. Brake lines will have to be fabricated to fit along with flex lines for the front wheels and rear axle. If your using the OEM wire wheels, there are adapter rings that will allow them to be installed on the later type drums.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
VeryTangled

Hi again FamilyFord, why convert to juice brakes? The mechanical ones can be made to work. I found refurbishing the cross shaft, straightening the rods, and arcing the shoes to fit the drums, then correctly adjusting, yielded excellent results.

Your posts frequently mention getting something to fit. It seems to me you have the stuff already to preserve your family heirloom as a safe and reliable running and driving car.

As for setting the 'original' engine aside, as a future project... There's no shortage of stories about those projects sitting.

Sorry if I seem like a jerk, and feel free to ignore my posts. But this past summer I traveled by air to Tahoe from the DC area, when I got there I hooked up with a crowd that had just driven from the east coast, over 3000 miles. The cars all made it there and back, several with mechanical brakes, none with any issue that couldn't be handled with some evening repairs. I come at it from that perspective. The old cars can be made to work. That being said, it's your car and you absolutely should do what you like. I'll be happy to follow and learn from your contributions.

-VT/JeffH

EDIT: 40cpe said it very well in post #2:
"You are going to get lots of opinions based on personal bias here.

Put me in the camp of a later flathead to get the additional power and insert main bearings. Hydraulic brakes would be on my list, too."

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
FamilyFord

I'm back again. And, not too much further than where I left off! Except... I bought a running engine from a '51 F5 truck. I've been looking for the right one, and I think this is it. Hated to see the old F5 get torn down since it was in great shape, but the owner wants to put a CAT motor in it. So, I'm back in business. Now, in my normal slow pace, I will be looking into what I need to do for adapting the motor into the Vicky. Stay tuned and I'll be hitting everyone up for input again, I'm sure. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #19
FamilyFord

I went through Mart's thread again on his '33, wow, great stuff. I also went for a search to find info from someone who has done a 8B into an early V8 and didn't have much luck. Anyone have links they can share? I know this isn't the ideal situation I'm about to embark on, but I think it will work. I understand the crank pulley clearance issue along with water outlets to radiator, not to mention what will happen along the firewall.
I'm pretty excited to pick this powertrain up and start working with it. My plan is to check fitment first, then after that is sorted, go through and clean with a new gasket set.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #20
19Fordy

Before you install that late model flatty be sure and read all of this:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...cation.594463/

Just because you have the engine doesn't mean there are better choices that will make your installation much easier with no problems.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote