Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Fordman487

Default Brake spring pliers

Hi Everyone-

What are people using for brake spring pliers? I’ve got a 1940 heavy duty ford truck and need advice on what tools people are using to remove and replace the brake springs. The cheap pliers from autozone aren’t working bc the angle isn’t right. What suppliers do the Ford Barn Folks recommend?

Thank you.
Fordman487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Brake spring pliers

I need to get a set also to work with my 1937 mechanical brakes for a passenger car. I look them on ebay, but haven't purchased any. They all look like they are designed to pinch my hand.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

I just grip the end of the spring with a pair of vice grips. Works like gangbusters.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I just grip the end of the spring with a pair of vice grips. Works like gangbusters.
But on the one ton and bigger???? I think most of us need more leverege. He did say heavy duty trucks. I bought a set of the common pliers and have only found a use on half tons. When I DO get them to work, one of the pinchers finds a countersunk brake rivet hole and seats there. Most stuff today is bonded and the pincher end just slides off. I'm with you. I wait for my 27 yr old son to stop by and he muscles them into the hole with the vice grips.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 PM   #5
Reds34

Are they just like modern vehicles? I also use vise grips on modern vehicles. I have no issue using them for my F350 rear brake shoe springs.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:07 PM   #6
49r

I've always used vice grips on my F1.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:22 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I think they are making brake springs tougher today. When I was a young man I used to stretch them over to the hole and they just popped in. What's up with that?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-07-2022, 02:45 AM   #8
51woodie

Check this site. Lisle makes all kinds of specialty tools

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-...-spring-pliers
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:50 AM   #9
truckdog62563

I went to Napa and bought their better $16 brake spring pliers to help doing my Tonner. Worked great. They also sell a cheaper one for $8 or so. Stu
Old 02-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #10
HDowse

GB, not only are the springs getting tougher, transmissions weigh more, wheels and tires are real heavy and it’s a lot harder to get up off the creeper these days….
I use a set of brake spring pliers if I'm working on my riveted Model A brakes otherwise I try to use vice grips.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDowse View Post
GB, not only are the springs getting tougher, transmissions weigh more, wheels and tires are real heavy and it’s a lot harder to get up off the creeper these days….
I use a set of brake spring pliers if I'm working on my riveted Model A brakes otherwise I try to use vice grips.

And the floor is a lot further away than it used to be when you drop something and have to bend over to pick it up.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #12
tubman

I have three different brake spring pliers and at least a half dozen brake adjustment tools that people have given me over the last few years. These days, people have no idea of what they are used for.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #13
KenBolton

I’ve never been able to get my brake tool to work. Each time I try I end up using vise grips. And yes, those springs have gotten stiffer over 40 years.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #14
bobH

SnapOn 131A (R), and Proto 217 (L). Both work OK.
The Lisle, from post #8, should be roughly equivalent.
I give a slight preference to the Proto, but that's just me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake pliers.jpg (18.7 KB, 27 views)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #15
rockfla

For my 39 Mercury, I found that this was "most" helpful!!!! If you can reach the opening in the shoe with the point of this, you're golden!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (81.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 02-07-2022 at 08:11 PM.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:36 AM   #16
aussie merc

brake spring pliers come in different sizes see if you can get a hold of either snapon or OTC catalogues not to keen on using vice grips or similar as have seen springs fail due to damage from them Tip for the beginners always replace the springs when you can get them [they wear and loose tension with time ] PS there are some budget ones out there that work well but you get what you pay for guess you have to work out if you use every day or maybe once every 5 years ?
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:54 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Maybe I have gotten wimpy, but I just could not unhook my tonner's rear spring. My son wasn't around and I really wanted to complete the task the other evening so I hooked a ratchet strap to the running board bracket and another to an oak 1x8 that I C clamped across the frame rails at the rear and did this. Easy as pie ( Swanson's). Removed the old wheel cyl and then un-clicked the straps to remove shoes etc, then I'll ratchet strap them back apart to install the new wheel cyl. Mine are really tough springs and I don't plan on replacing them at this point. I am 69 in May and I do physical work all day long but could not unhook that spring with vice grips and my gypo brake spring pliers don't have a chance. I did not over extend the spring and it went right back after I took this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ratchet strap brake pliers.jpg (139.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #18
corvette8n

I have better luck with this type of tool vs the pliers, mine is over 50 years old. I don’t know how it compares this newer NAPA version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C04D7DF-BAC8-4585-B816-57E5C1084636.jpg (21.9 KB, 53 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I have better luck with this type of tool vs the pliers, mine is over 50 years old. I don’t know how it compares this newer NAPA version.
Not readily apparent how that works. Can someone describe how it functions? And while we are at it, how does the traditional pliers type work. Bent side, straight side, what hooks to what?
Old 03-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #20
Bob NH

Years ago I came close to losing an eye using vice grips to pull a spring on my daughters car when the spring slipped while pulling hard ! I have used brake pliers since that time. I also notice that I may be getting a bit taller these days, as my feet seem to be further away when I try to put on my socks in the AM ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote