Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
flatjack9

Default Re: Running too warm

I bought mine from Speedway. Found a size that fit the radiator. Cut out the hole for the fan and mounted it to my radiator.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
epw1949

Bob, get a infra red gun,and check the temp all over your radiator,or use the old method with your hand, feeling your radiator for temp change. Also with the infra red gun check the top of each head for a difference in temp. I assume the fan belt is not slipping.Hope this helps.E.P.Williams
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
Chris in MA

Bob,
I cant offer any advice as to the cause, but if you end up deciding to recore, I had my radiator done at Willards in Hudson, NH last year. They did a very nice job, split tanks as original. It was not inexpensive. But I do see that Drake is selling his 39 Dlx and 40 Radiator for 595. <if he has it... and shipping will bring you up to close to what I paid.

Chris

Chris
Chris in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
supereal

In addition to containing the coolant, Skip's valve provides about 3 pounds of pressure in the system. This helps prevent "hot spots" by reducing steam pockets in the block. Vapor (steam) will interfere with cooling.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #25
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Performance of radiators drop off with age ,crud build up ect ,You can have it rodded out or do a Vinger wash if your core is in good shape you leave that in for two to three weeks then back flush it then fit a shroud ,(as suggested ) I used a plastic cut down Audi one from the junk yard ,in fact if you came to my place you will see that I have been to the junk yard a lot ..It should idol in the yard and not clime up the gage .Thermostats are only good if the radiator is over affiant ,eg to cold .If the radiator has restrictions in it then Skips product will force more water through and you will gain something .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #26
Bob NH

OK. There seems to be a general consensus that installing a fan shroud would be helpful. That being said, could anyone please give me an explaination as to how this works ? I guess what you are doing is creating a tunnel forcing cool air to the central part of the block ? I am not bad on fabrication and wonder if you make it to cover the entire rear of the radiator with just a cut out area for the fan to pull air through or only a partial? I have noticed at some gatherings guys have made or purchased a small panel that covers from the top of the grill to the front of the radiator and wondered if that amounts to anything ? Amazing the interest in the cooling subject and glad to see the input thus far. Great discussion !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #27
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Bob if you look at most household fans its give s you a idea of how they work it stops the blades from dragging air in from the sides and creates a vortex ,the thing must be within 1/.2 of the blade tips ,covering at least 2 /3rds of the top part of the radiator or in the case of a split one most of it ,Don't over look the Vinger wash there are some post on here .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #28
tanner

I am interested in the comment about 195 degrees operating temp being desired. I have a stock 49 v-8 that was running 160 degrees with basic Stant 180 degree thermostats. Reading in other threads that higher temps were desirable, I changed to 180 degree Stant Superstats (45356) and now the stats open at about 190 degrees and drop to 175-178 degrees at hold there at all speeds up to 75 mph (lost my nerve there) uphill and down. Ambient temp today 45 to 70. The only way I see to get to 190 is to change to 195 degree stats. Is 175 degrees going to be a problem?
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #29
wga

Looks like the WS 40 might work for you. These shrouds need to have the hole cut
out. Shrouds channel the air flow through the radiator, and less air from the surrounding area.
http://www.walkerradiatorworks.com/R...plications.asp
Old 11-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
flatjack9

The purpose of the shroud is to have air drawn in from the entire surface of the radiator thus utilizing the full radiator area for cooling.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #31
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
I am interested in the comment about 195 degrees operating temp being desired. I have a stock 49 v-8 that was running 160 degrees with basic Stant 180 degree thermostats. Reading in other threads that higher temps were desirable, I changed to 180 degree Stant Superstats (45356) and now the stats open at about 190 degrees and drop to 175-178 degrees at hold there at all speeds up to 75 mph (lost my nerve there) uphill and down. Ambient temp today 45 to 70. The only way I see to get to 190 is to change to 195 degree stats. Is 175 degrees going to be a problem?
If your engine was running at 160 with 180 stats that would indicate that the thermostats were not working properly or your temp gauge is not calibrated properly. 175 - 178 would certainly be acceptable.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
I would want at least 180 or better. The hotter the better. At lower temperatures it will run fine, but you are reducing the efficiency and will increase sludge build up in the engine. The engine is going to do best in the 185 to 195 range (or hotter if you can keep it from boiling over).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #33
41ford1

Make sure the ignition timing is correctly set and the point gap is to spec. Worn or closed points will set the timing back. If slow or retarded it will increase heating of the coolant.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #34
Bob NH

41ford1, this was one of my first thoughts. I recently installed a newly rebuilt distributor and it was set just a tad different than when I sent it down. I did just a slight advance thinking that could be an issue. Engine runs fine and no "pinging" . I am a bit relieved to read a post above stating high temps are better. maybe I'm just an old worry wart ? Nice to get so much discussion on the subject. Thanks to all
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #35
chap52

Just picked up a fine infrared thermometer on Amazon for less than $20....Does the job of tracking those temps.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote