Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Bob NH

Default Running too warm

I know this issue has been talked about almost to death on here but I am disturbed by how warm my car is getting recently. I stuck a meat thermometer in the flow and saw over 200 and feel that is way hot. I bought a pair of head sending units a while back but they read all over the place so not sure if they are good or not. There is not a flow problem as it looks like "Niagara Falls" with the cap off and seeing the flow into the tank, (Skips pumps). I seem to remember back in the racing days, guys put pennies in the block to slow down the flow so it had a chance to cool a bit before going back in the engine ? I kind of question folks comments about thermostats being the answer but I am an "old dog" and could probably still learn a trick or two if you talk slooooow ! Shoot me some thoughts? Thanks, B.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Running too warm

Not sure what is making you think it is running to hot. Are you just getting concerned because of some temperature reading you are getting or are there other problems? If it is not boiling over it should not be an issue. You want around 195 or so and your temperature measurements may be off.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
supereal

The old fable that slowing the coolant circulation will allow the radiator to better transfer the heat to the air should be laid to rest, once and forever. If the circulation is slowed, the coolant arrives at the radiator hotter. The ability of the radiator to transfer heat is limited by design and condition. If the coolant comes in hotter, it will leave the same way. Old radiators suffer loss of efficiency due to interior coating of lime, etc, or the fins have shaken loose from the tubes. When I bought my '47 it literally couldn't make it around the block before the gauge headed for the peg. I replaced it with a new one, and all was well. I can run in 100 degree ambient temps at any speed with no overheating. Radiator shops largely disappeared because boiling and rodding provided only limited relief. I know radiators are expensive, but if all else in the system is working, it is time to invest in a new radiator instead of trying to make a decades old one so the job.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
WestCoast

radiators are cheaper than engines, buy or borrow an infra red heat gun and check rad temp before you get to excited
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Bob NH

Hard not to get excited when you see steam pouring out and coolant spewing on the ground after idle in my yard. Only happened one time and I let it cool down naturally before adding antifreeze and water back in. Maybe this car would be better in somebody elses yard? If you were to install a new after market radiator, how much would it deminish the vehicle value ? Bone stock except, dual exhaust,columbia,whitewalls and upgraded bendix brakes.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
rick r

Are your thermostats working properly? Put them in a pot of water and check to see if they are opening at the correct temp. If you determine that the rad is the problem, have your rad re-cored with a modern hi efficiency core. Would not think that would effect the value of your car.
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
flatjack9

Does the car overheat under normal driving conditions?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
richard crow

Do you have a six blade fan on it
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
JWL
Member Emeritus

The turbulence you see in the radiator could be the result of combustion gas escaping into the coolant system. This is usually a sign of a head gasket defect and no radiator or pump system will overcome the heat this can transfer.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Bob NH

OK, going down the list here, there are no thermostats in this engine. After a 6 mile run it is pretty warm when I return home but I usually don't check to see how hot it really is. There is only a stock 4 blade fan. Does not seem to be "turbulence" per se but just a really good flow incoming of liquid. Thanks to all of U good people for suggestions, Bob
Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
flatjack9

Is the engine in the car in your avatar - a 1940 and is it the right engine for that year?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Old Henry

Sounds like radiator problems to me. I had mine recored and you can't tell it from the original and works great.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
TomO

If you can run down the highway at speeds up to 55mph without it overheating, and it overheats in traffic, your problem is probably the fan or low coolant level.

The 40 Ford should have a 6 bladed fan.

If you are using Skips pumps, I recommend that you also use his 3lb pressure valve in the overflow pipe. This will keep the coolant in the engine under normal operating conditions and allow the pressure to be relieved when the coolant boils. An added advantage is that the pressure helps eliminate hot spots or steam pockets.

Erratic readings from the temperature senders can be caused by using Teflon tape on the threads of the sending units. There should be very low pressure in the cooling system, so there is no need to use a sealant on the pipe threads, they will seal just by tightening.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Bob NH

Duh ! Tom, I just went down and looked and it is a 6 blade. Senile I guess ? Also the coolant level is down just enough to allow for expansion without blowing off. Teflon tape ? see that, I told you guys I could learn sumpin after all. Did not know that, thanks. flatjack9 , it is the correct engine , A on the heads and all.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
wga

As JWL mentioned, you could have exhaust gas present in the coolant. Have it checked. Find a reliable independent auto repair shop in your area, and ask if they
will check for exhaust gasses. An exhaust probe is used, and is held just inside
the radiator and will measure in PPM the amount of CO2 in the coolant. It should
be less than 10. Should cost you $10 - $20.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
cmbrucew

Bob NH
If your car does not have a shroud install one.
Best single thing you could do.
You might want to verify the timing is not too slow.
Bruce
Old 11-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
flatjack9

I have a 39 Deluxe, so the same set up as your 40. My engine would tend to get warm when stopped or in slow traffic - like a parade. As soon as I would get going at a normal driving speed, the temp would go right down. I have 190 stats. I installed a fan shroud which ended any tendency to overheat.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
WestCoast

check plugs, if any of them are snow white it a very good chance you have a leaking head gasket
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
Bill S

Do you have to make fan shrouds or can you buy them?
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
cmbrucew

Bill S
Easiest to buy one at a swap meet, use the wanted to buy on Ford Barn, or buy something close you can fabricate your own with.
Bruce