Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
flatheadfan

Default Re: Buying a car site unseen.

I have purchased a couple of cars "sight unseen" and have found them less than expected. Never again!

Having said that, I came across a Model A roadster that looked fabulous. Unfortunately, I had just undergone bone surgery on my leg and was in no condition to go see the car (about 200 miles away in another state). Not to be deterred, I called the owner with a list of questions and requested specific pictures. He obliged. Finally, to avoid a repeat of my past omissions I decided to get the car inspected. I called a local Model A car club close by the car's location and and asked the club's contact person if he knew someone who would look the car over for me. He said he would post a notice on the club's web site with my phone number. I received a call from a guy that said he lived close by and would look it over and get back with me. I said I would gladly pay for his time and trouble. I also told him it was listed on eBay and time was important.

I waited patiently but no response, the auction was ending, I placed calls to the "inspector" and nothing was returned. Suddenly, the auction ended "As no longer available." I waited a day or two and called the owner to see if the car was truly "no longer available". He told me a guy came to look at it (who incidentally had the same first name as my "inspector"). He liked what he saw and bought it! I called the so-called "inspector" for an explanation and (surprise), never received a return call after several attempts.

Finally. Remember, buying a car "sight unseen" can be a lot like "on-line dating." What shows up at the door is not exactly what the pictures and description portrayed!

Tom

Last edited by flatheadfan; 01-06-2015 at 05:48 AM.
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #22
Bob NH

Whew ! Some horror stories for sure. I bought a 34 five window sight unseen except for photos at Hershey. I had chased the owner trying to catch up with him and finally gave up. Came home and started reading ads in Hemmings when these cars were more plentiful and saw one I liked, called the owner and it turned out to be the Hershey car I had tried to find. Anyway, bought it sight unseen and when it came late in the day/early evening my heart sank badly. Needless to say I did not sleep well that night. I might add you can repair most anything if you cover it in enough dollar bills which I did and it turned out pretty well. It is running strong in the town where I live and the owner is pleased. The other car I have now was also purchased sight unseen from California and was as represented with some small issues which I have taken care of. The owner was a police officer and I asked him to send me a photo copy of his license to start with. I figured it would help to track him down if things went "south". Guess I have been a fortunate buyer compared to others on here. I feel bad for folks getting stiffed in any way on a deal.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
B-O-B

You can look @ all the photos & have a zillion people inspect the car you wish to purchase BUT if the seller wants to deceive you he will succeed.
How many of you would drain the transmission oil or tear an engine down? I doubt
that anyone would.
I found this(pic) in the transmission oil after I got ownership of the roadster & was replacing all the fluids. I had no idea what it was but you guys ID it as an acorn. The wheels only had one or two nuts holding them on & the pic of the wheel had the center cut out. All four wheels had the hubcaps on so were not pulled for inspection. Brake linings were worn out also as was a brake rod almost cut in half. This car was advertised as just needing wiring & paint & the chassis being restored. I couldn't make it but had two people inspect it for me. When one fellow went to look at the car it was in pieces,all the fenders were off as was the hood, it looked no where near what the pictures I had received of the car when advertised . I am not totally disappointed in the car but not so much in the fellow that was selling it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4099.jpg (49.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4068.jpg (64.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3988.jpg (25.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140211_141510_676.jpg (44.0 KB, 82 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #24
Mike B

Are "used" car dealers held to a different standard than the average Joe?

What I mean is if I sell a used vehicle to you, once money has changed hands, the deal is done...you might get home with it and find out it has no floor boards, etc, take me to court (at least here in Ca.) and the Judge would send you away for not having it inspected, etc.

Do classic cars fall under "used" car sales?
I could call my Uncle, he sold used cars for 50 plus years, but he's not in good health, and hate to bother him.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
cmbrucew

Mike
My son sold used cars for a couple of years. He had a state license. High end imports, then C---Ys. At least some accountability implied.
Bruce
Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #26
rusty12

I have bought a couple of cars sight unseen, including two from a frequent Ford Barn advertiser. I have been extremely satisfied with my purchases.
However, there are a few things that should be considered when buying a car sight unseen.
-You should have a lot of communication with the seller. You should feel "right" about the person when you talk with them on the phone. If you do not feel comfortable or your questions are not being answered, or the answers are vague and skirt the questions, or there are a lot of "I don't knows" or "its in great condition for the age" that is a red flag.
-You should ask for a lot of GOOD photos. Not just ten photos of the car parked in the owner's garage, but A LOT of photos. The one person I mentioned above sent about 70 clear, outside photos of each car. Top, bottom, inside, outside, different angles, each body panel, each trim part, etc etc etc.
-While dealers get a lot of bad flack, remember that good dealers are in business because they provide good products and a good transaction. There is more accountability from a dealer than an infrequent or one time private seller that doesn't care if negative publicity are spread about them because they won't be selling a car again or at least for awhile. Dealers need to sell cars to make a living, private sellers do not. Dealers are often able to assist with things like storing the car until you can receive it, taking payments, trade-ins, etc whereas private sellers usually do not.
-When possible, it is always good to go and see the car yourself. When in doubt, go see the car yourself or at least send a trusted inspector.
-Before sending payment in full, request a copy of the title. Some dealers request a deposit before sending a copy of the title, that is understandable since they may not know you. Things should jive up meaning that the VIN number should be appropriate to the particular vehicle, owner's name/address, etc. There is a lot to be said about searching someone's name on the internet to make sure they live where they say they live, etc.
-If a car or a seller does not feel right, don't do the deal and wait until another opportunity arises. While buying a car can certainly be an emotional experience, always use your logic before proceeding.
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #27
Neal

I have bought a few cars sight unseen and have done fine. I think a lot of it depends on your expectations.

I have bought off of the HAMB site, and E-bay. I look at pictures, talk to the owner or representative on the phone, not e-mails. I listen to the seller and decide if they are full of BS or not. I don't build up my expectations that the car will be something that it isn't. I figure the amount of money that I save by not traveling to look at it I can use to fix the little things. So far it has worked out well. From what Bill's Auto Works said, I am not alone.

Neal

Last edited by Neal; 01-04-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: bought 4 cars unseen
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #28
1939 pickup truck

Howdy Fellows, Caveat Emptor in all transactions, My 1939 truck is a great start to a restoration, but that rear axil ring & pinion was a magnetic fir ball long before Me.
We climbed in and under for two days before the auction up here in Maine, but there
was no way of knowing without a full road test. I should have jacked it up to roll test.
1939 pickup truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #29
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 pickup truck View Post
Howdy Fellows, Caveat Emptor in all transactions, My 1939 truck is a great start to a restoration, but that rear axil ring & pinion was a magnetic fir ball long before Me.
We climbed in and under for two days before the auction up here in Maine, but there
was no way of knowing without a full road test. I should have jacked it up to roll test.
Maybe that is the point for me. I can go and look at the car and still get screwed. I would rather roll the dice and save the trip. On a private sale, I value the integrity of the seller.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #30
FrankWest

The inspectors you send to evaluate the car are usually a big waste of time for an antique car. Their inspection will be superficial, like how much oil is in the car!
Even if you are a mechanic, you will not be able to dismantle the car to see everything.
It is an old car! Going into it..yOU SHOW BE PREPARED TO spend money to fix whatever is broken. If you buy from an expensive antique house they could have had stupid mechanics restoring the car....You may find it will need to be done right when you get it.
Solution...Buy cheap...expect to pay more to fix it right...
and above all... enjoy working on it. it is old and enjoy being part of the history...
Once it is all fixed... you will be bored... there is only so much wax you can put on the car.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #31
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Mike
My son sold used cars for a couple of years. He had a state license. High end imports, then C---Ys. At least some accountability implied.
Bruce
But is it enforced?...just asking...i f he was to sell a "frame off resto"...and the buyer received a painted over car...as a used car dealer, is he okay, or would a buyer have recourse on him?

Again, just asking, curious, etc...
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #32
cmbrucew

Mike
I would quess you would have recourse with the dealer for whom he worked.
Almost thirty years ago. Maybe a fine or suspension. Don't know anything about today. Probably a bonus.
Bruce
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #33
SJ13

I recently bought a car off Craigslist's the fellow selling was honest and upfront he even went as far as to record a video and send to me so I could examine it. We exchanged multiple emails and I talked to him on the phone after all that I still drove 650 miles to personally look @ the car upon seeing the car and meeting the man I immediately bought the car and btw he was just as honest in person.
SJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #34
itsa52

A couple of words that keep coming up in this thread that catches my attention:
1. Reputable
2. Expectations
I question just how "Reputable" the dealer was, and also feel the buyer's "expectations" may have been a bit high.
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #35
bsa_bob

Send a message via Yahoo to bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa52 View Post
A couple of words that keep coming up in this thread that catches my attention:
1. Reputable
2. Expectations
I question just how "Reputable" the dealer was, and also feel the buyer's "expectations" may have been a bit high.

Use common "god given" "Common sense" and you will be in the game with no losses. Gambling is meant more to " destroy a man/ than it is to make him rich. bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #36
V12Bill

Just as risky as buying a car sight unseen is selling a car that you didn't advertise to a stranger. I sold a Lincoln 7 years ago to a person on the West coast that I didn't know. I Googled his name and his name was a person of good reputation. The arrangements for pickup by the shipper went too well and his check arrived only a day before the truck. I had my bank verify the check (same bank) and the deal was completed. I held my breath the entire time hoping that this deal that was too good to be true was real. Even though I did my due diligence, there are some slick people out there who will cover the bases with phony paper and you don't know you were had until it's too late.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #37
dick lyons

empty lot?? Google Earth the address. Use Google White phone pages to connect names with addresses. Be a detective. I bought my coupe on Ebay site unseen. Turns out seller used another persons good reputation on Ebay as his own. The car arrived at my house with no brakes and mufflers that looked like they were shot at with a shot gun. the seller and I had a phone conversation that got me a sizable refund. All of this from a dealer in O.K. city and me in Delaware. I was really disappointed at first but I had fun making the car right and driveable. So go see it in person or cross your fingers.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #38
tiger.1000

Here in the UK we have very strict legislation relating to THE SALE OF GOODS ACT and this in particular applies to traders and shop keepers, whether selling used motor-cars or fish-n-chips! So; if someone advertises their fish-n-chips as "best in town"...they have to be and tough luck if they're are proven otherwise.

Used car dealers are really in for a tough time. Unlike the USA we cannot sell a car with NO WARRANTY ! A car has to be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose regardless of how much the car is sold for. So.....if you advertise a car for £5000 and the purchaser nails you to the desk and you are stupid enough to accept £4000 and then the car goes wrong.....you're either in for a big bill or a court case. And...almost without except, the customer comes out winning !

There are however exceptions. An accident damaged car that has been deemed as beyond economical repair can be sold as "salvage" or an old jalopy can be sold as parts or for restoration.

However, it's all in the description......advertise a car as "perfect" or "like new" and it has to be.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #39
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
I have purchased a couple of cars "sight unseen" and have found them less than expected. Never again!

Having said that, I came across a Model A roadster that looked fabulous. Unfortunately, I had just undergone bone surgery on my leg and was in no condition to go see the car (about 200 miles away in another state). Not to be deterred, I called the owner with a list of questions and requested specific pictures. He obliged. Finally, to avoid a repeat of my past omissions I decided to get the car inspected. I called a local Model A car club close by the car's location and and asked the club's contact person if he knew someone who would look the car over for me. He said he would post a notice on the club's web site with my phone number. I received a call from a guy that said he lived close by and would look it over and get back with me. I said I would gladly pay for his time and trouble. I also told him it was listed on eBay and time was important.

I waited patiently but no response, the auction was ending, I placed calls to the "inspector" and nothing was returned. Suddenly, the auction ended "As no longer available." I waited a day or two and called the owner to see if the car was truly "no longer available". He told me a guy came to look at it (who incidentally had the same first name as my "inspector"). He liked what he saw and bought it! I called the so-called "inspector" for an explanation and (surprise), never received a return call after several attempts. I wonder if Karma is alive and well.

Finally. Remember, buying a car "sight unseen" can be a lot like "on-line dating." What shows up at the door is not exactly what the pictures and description portrayed!

Tom
THAT is low. What a slime ball to do that to you. As they say, sadly, trust no one
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #40
bobH

Another story. Maybe two, if you all can stand it...
I'm a 34-nut, and recently heard of a 34 for sale, less than 100 miles from home. Two personal friends looked at it, and gave it a thumbs up. An 'original' 54K car, supposedly running. The point of this story is you have to look for yourself. I was severely disappointed, and did not buy it. I had the cash in my pocket. And, the guy was very plesant on the phone, didn't deceive me, etc, etc. And, me, my two friends, and the seller are all over-75 seniors, so we should have been on the same page on that count. I have to look for myself.
Second story, and this has to do with trailer queens. There is someone here on the board that I always think of when this story comes to mind. About 14 years ago I bought a 47. It was/is amateur-'restored'. It's been in the V8Times, and it has been EFV8 Club judged (first, in the 90's). I had seen the car a few times, first time about 4 years prior. I thought I'd looked it over pretty well. And, cosmetically, the car is pretty good - it has lived up to my expectations. Here's my point... To be point judged, and to look good, it can be a dog mechanically. And it can go on and off the trailer with no problems. I have had to rebuild virtually every mechanical aspect of this car. The engine had almost .020 wear, brakes had wrong parts and barely worked, needed steering and suspension parts, needed clutch and transmission work to even drive it. But, it went on-n-off the trailer perfectly. In my opinion, you need to do your own evaluation, and even then, expect surprises.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote