Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #21
wbedwards

Default Re: How you'd fair crashing your classic car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46ford View Post
That video is a great illustration of why seat belts won't help in my '59. Seat belts are part of the total design of new cars, not an add-on.

Drive safely. Most accidents (even where someone runs the red light) are preventable if you drive defensively.
Your right, but, should it happen we will at least stay in the car and not go on an excursion outside through a window. That car has heavy metal and a full frame, but no crumple zones and I would not want to have a wreck in it. I am not comfortable driving very fast with the manual brakes, steering, and old rims although I have been through all of it and it is in good shape.
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
PeterC

Talking Re: How you'd fair crashing your classic car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"You're kidding, right? You're not seriously suggesting that the brave Army Air Corps pilots who risked their lives to protect B-17 crews from German Me 109's were in the same class of character as Evel Knievel, are you?"

rheltzel,

Sorry that you did not understand my comment about P-51 pilots. It was a compliment to a group of men who easily humble even today's military aviators.

I can understand that you have no idea of the danger they faced from not just the missions they flew but from flying an aircraft that demanded an immense amount of skill and guts to fly.

PeterC is being modest. Like any red-blooded pilot, he would have flown the P-51 even if it was guaranteed to rip his ears off, set his hair on fire, and leave him with a permanent limp. Actually it could do much worse.

Safety is a relative term. Safe for Peter would scare the crap out of most men.
Did not mean to set this thread off in the wrong direction - just wanted to correlate safety is a learned state of mind ... and just to be clear - I was not a WWII combat pilot as the war was long over when I fell in love with these birds - started my civilian flying interest in 1968 with my first ride in a 51 .. set my mind to be a pilot and fly them .. which I was lucky to experience.This is me in 1968 (click to enlarge).

Glad everyone is all settled down again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00088-20110522-2136.jpg (32.6 KB, 51 views)
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #23
nospartsman
BANNED

I was hit May 14 2015, 1/8 mile from home. The road was on top of freeway overpass, the miscreant was exiting the freeway, he cleared one lane of traffic but forgot there were two lanes. He hit me with a BMW under acceleration (he said he was late for church). His insurance is Gieco. It looks like a fender bender until you look closer. The left frame horn is rolled to the right, radiator lost all fluid, grille broke, grille guard bent, wheel bent, original bumper bent, NOS bumper irons bent and broke, the worst is the cowl panel between door and fender where the left fender attaches is buckled, also when the car is viewed from the rear the left side of the car is higher, not level, the frame is wracked. This is a survivor 40 with very nice original upholstery, original paint on the body (the fenders had been repainted). I was only doing about 25 mph but did get my arm wacked by the steering wheel. We'll see how Gieco is to deal with, has anyone had any experience with them. I had an unmolested 40, I don't now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0050.jpg (49.5 KB, 73 views)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #24
Kurt in NJ

Lowball offer, quick total, want to take it away before you settle so they have control ---ones they can make $$ on the salvage because the damage fixable is something I am seeing more and more

On a car recently totalled (don't know ins co)the offer was low, ---where do you get your prices --XXX guide online, go there find cars all were 2000$ more than their offer ---their reasoning for offer --"you will negotiate lower price when you buy the car so we adjust our price from the guide price"

Have you contacted your insurance company, do you have appraisals , estimates for repair ---hopefully you have antique ins with proper agreed value
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedwards View Post
Your right, but, should it happen we will at least stay in the car and not go on an excursion outside through a window.
That's about all I figure I'll get out of my seat belts as well - they'll at least keep me in the car.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #26
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
I was hit May 14 2015, 1/8 mile from home. The road was on top of freeway overpass, the miscreant was exiting the freeway, he cleared one lane of traffic but forgot there were two lanes. He hit me with a BMW under acceleration (he said he was late for church). His insurance is Gieco. It looks like a fender bender until you look closer. The left frame horn is rolled to the right, radiator lost all fluid, grille broke, grille guard bent, wheel bent, original bumper bent, NOS bumper irons bent and broke, the worst is the cowl panel between door and fender where the left fender attaches is buckled, also when the car is viewed from the rear the left side of the car is higher, not level, the frame is wracked. This is a survivor 40 with very nice original upholstery, original paint on the body (the fenders had been repainted). I was only doing about 25 mph but did get my arm wacked by the steering wheel. We'll see how Gieco is to deal with, has anyone had any experience with them. I had an unmolested 40, I don't now.

7/18/15 What a shame. Glad you weren't hurt. Hope you have good collectible car insurance policy. It can be fixed just like mine was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00806 (Medium).JPG (50.3 KB, 32 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #27
scooder

Quote:
Your right, but, should it happen we will at least stay in the car and not go on an excursion outside through a window. That car has heavy metal and a full frame, but no crumple zones and I would not want to have a wreck in it. I am not comfortable driving very fast with the manual brakes, steering, and old rims although I have been through all of it and it is in good shape.
What's wrong with manual steering and brakes? And your wheels, yes wheels, if you've had the tyres off you'll know if there ok, wouldn't you?
I don't own anything with power steering or brakes, I do know the condition of my wheels. It concerns me not. Oddly my opinion is almost directly opposite. I don't like the lack of feel with power steering or brakes, mine tell me all the info I need. I know exactly what my cars limits are, cus I can feel it. I'm sure all this power assisted stuff lulls drivers into a false sense of security, only giving the info when it's too late.
I do drive defensively, I learnt from the start to think that every other driver on the road is trying to kill me, seems to work. That and not driving on the other guys back bumper.
Martin.
Atleast they used an off brand car in that film.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #28
RobR'35

Those planes are awesome! Ive yet to get a ride in one.
I seen my first one in Topeka,KS.
I really had a hard time walking away from the darn thing.
And when it was flying over the plant I was helping build. it would make the hair stand on my neck. What a machine!!!!
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #29
Kahuna

I'm in total agreement with Martin.
Know your car. Know it's limits and yours.
I drive my 32 as fast as the traffic with no fear
of the car or an accident.
Might as well stay home otherwise.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #30
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I'm in total agreement with Martin.
Know your car. Know it's limits and yours.
I drive my 32 as fast as the traffic with no fear
of the car or an accident.
Might as well stay home otherwise.
I guess I flew airplanes and rode motorcycles long enough to know that the only way to save your a$$ is to stay out of a wreck in the first place. It also keeps your car looking nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (125.6 KB, 20 views)
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #31
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
I don't like the lack of feel with power steering or brakes, mine tell me all the info I need. I know exactly what my cars limits are, cus I can feel it. I'm sure all this power assisted stuff lulls drivers into a false sense of security, only giving the info when it's too late.
One of my kids hit something because when he slammed on the power brakes in the car there was that delay that they all have before they really grab. I much prefer my good old non-power-assist juice brakes that grab instantly when hit. Non of that mushy power brake junk.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
..................when he slammed on the power brakes in the car there was that delay that they all have before they really grab.................that mushy power brake junk.
I believe they had a big re-call on that one. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #33
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46ford View Post
I guess I flew airplanes and rode motorcycles long enough to know that the only way to save your a$$ is to stay out of a wreck in the first place. It also keeps your car looking nice.
Ya I'm not sure the motivation in this thread... other then being safe. I will say I've known at least 5 people in my small circle on modern 80s up bikes that have had less then great outcomes. I feel safe in a old car. Even with my old 28 with the gas tank at my knees.

I also fear more, when driving even in a new car, people on the phone ... more so then my safety in a old car that is less fast and that I pay way more attention to defensive driving.

But sh*t happens too. Even with all the safety stuff in the world.

Be safe!!!!

Last edited by Tinker; 07-19-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #34
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Ya I'm not sure the motivation in this thread... other then being safe. I will say I've known at least 5 people in my small circle on modern 80s up bikes that have had less then great outcomes.
I often say to myself when I'm thinking I'm driving a dangerous vehicle, "It's safer than a motorcycle, even with a helmet on." Or, when I'm on a road trip and it's 95°, "At least I'm sittin' in the shade, not like those motorcycle riders that gotta sit out in the sun."
Old 07-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #35
Flathead

I think a 59 Ford would have done better, perimeter frame and safer steering box placement.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #36
Adam/Mill Valley CA

I ride a lot(since 1967), and drive my '36 a lot-I think the defensive habits you develop on a motorcycle serve you very well driving a vintage auto (or any auto, for that matter). My mindset when riding is that "every other person on the road is an idiot, and they're all trying to kill me". Not true, of course, but helps to keep you out of trouble. In anything other than a fender bender in one of our flatheads, you're probably toast. I do have lap belts in mine, for whatever they're worth.

Insofar as the risks and rewards of motorcycling, that's a whole other discussion.

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #37
Johnnydidd

After watching video makes me question using seat belts in my old cars?????????
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #38
TonyM

Quote:
That video is mainly why I put seatbelts in my 59
The way that "A" pillar collapsed, not sure seatbelts would have helped in the 1959 Chevy.

I know that if some one hits me head on or from the side while I am going 45mph in my 1937, I am pretty much finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 ford smash.jpg (106.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg '37%20Ford%20-%208_31_1941.jpg (48.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg '37%20Ford%20Tudor%20-%20Sommerset,%20WI%207_7_1937.jpg (28.2 KB, 31 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote