Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
dezignsbyamanda

Default What would a 1930 Model A Ford Truck be worth?

My brother and I inherited a 1930 Model A Ford Truck when we lost my dad in September. It is getting time for the Estate to close and we have no clue what it is worth or what will be done with it. We need a value of what it is worth.

It is in good shape, it does however have some scratches in the paint. It was driven by my dad but it stopped running with him and he had said he thought it was the carborator. He got very ill and was unable to do the repairs. When he died we decided to turn the tags and cancel the liability that he had on it.

You can see several pictures at this link:
http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/s...view=slideshow

I would love any info I could possibly get. Thanks in advance! =)
dezignsbyamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Model A Man

Default Re: What would a 1930 Model A Ford Truck be worth?

that would look real good in my driveway. why are all the good Model A's so far away. It is to hard for me to tell by pictures what it might be worth. I always worry about what might be hiding under the paint. I wish I live close by. for my 2 cent you should get it running before trying to sell. Nice truck
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

My guess would be in the $12K range but you can't tell enough from pictures. Why no pictures of the engine or undercarriage? My suggestion would be to keep it for a year before making any decision on what to do with it. I hope you decide to keep it. If you need a value for the estate go to the old cars price guide on the internet. If/when you need a marketing approach, post again.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
MCHinson

Sorry about your loss.

I grew up in Whiteville and now live in Wilmington, so I am only about 50 miles away from you. I would be willing to take a look at it and give you some feedback. I should be able to help you get it running. I have sent you a private message with my phone number. Let me know if I can help.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
JTW

Between $7000 and 10,000, condition of the mechanicals and whats under the paint unknown, non original paint job. The advice about keeping it and doing more research is the best unless you have to get rid of it quickly.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Good looking truck!

It appears like your Dad really liked this truck and it would be good to keep it in the family. Is there someone who would be in a position to take it and give it good care?

It would be just a guess but I would think some where between $8,000 and $14,000 depending on how the engine and undercarrage is. If you were to sell it, it may be worth your while to get it running. There may be a Model A Club in your area that can help.

Again, this is just my opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

For your information, the A is a 1930 Closed Cab Pickup. It appears to be in very good condition. Suggest you seek help in getting it running as this would be a plus. From what I can see, I would estimate the low value, at the least, to be $ 10,000.00 and possible more if no broken and repaired beads to the fenders and the engine does not need rebuilding.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Bolensboneyard

Near as can be told from pictures, I believe it would sell for between 10 and 20 thousand if you get it running. Like the man says, what is under the paint is important as are any extras in the running gear that may or may not have been added for touring such as a mitchell overdrive and syncronized trans. which can add 5K to a truck over one that did not have them. I am in Charleston S.C. if you can trailer it I would be glad to check it out for you but I already have four model a trucks and would not want to buy it. Bobby
Bolensboneyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
cradlescyth

My @/cents

Keep it

was Dad's
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
dezignsbyamanda

Thanks for all the info...I would love to keep it, but I'm not sure if it's possible in my situation. I can get pictures of the engine & undercarriage posted maybe tomorrow, will have to get my husband to push it out the garage. My hopes are to get it running whether we keep it or not. =)
dezignsbyamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezignsbyamanda View Post
Thanks for all the info...I would love to keep it, but I'm not sure if it's possible in my situation. I can get pictures of the engine & undercarriage posted maybe tomorrow, will have to get my husband to push it out the garage. My hopes are to get it running whether we keep it or not. =)
To maximize the money you can get it needs to run. Without it running the potential buyer will assume a complete rebuild is needed ($3000.00)and since they canot drive it they will deduct some for possible tranny problems, rear end and brakes. If it runs, stops and shifts those worries are, for the most part, gone.

I would also take a real look at keeping it. They are simple, reliable, cheep to insure, "easy" to work on and there is so much help, and parts out there that you should keep it a while and then decide. Once that part of your Dad is gone, it is gone for good.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

suuwwweeeet!!!
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
CarlG

If you are just looking for a value, for something "official" you could check out http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars

You could also do some checking out what the prices of similar trucks on eBay and Craig's List are going for.

I'd chime in with others. If that was MY dad's truck, No way I'd sell it. In fact I'd fight my sisters for it in a big way.
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Model A Man

Just to let you know, not to far from me here in so cal there is a 1929 roadster pick up that runs and the pictures show a truck in as good cond as yours. I may go look at the truck and the asking is $8,000.00
Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Model A Man

I just got back from looking at the truck 1929 roadster pick up here in so cal. It may be worth $8,000.00 but it was not what I was looking for. the guy has several others coming to look at it so I am sure he will sell for his asking price.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
peters180a/170b

Looking at the pictures i'll say $8,500 .00 low. Looking at the truck in person and as nice as the pictures ,,,someone wanting a truck--- $12,500 top.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
MCHinson

I have seen the truck in person. The owners are nice folks. Unfortunately, the paint does not look as good in person as it appears in the photos. It appears to be an older amateur restoration, probably from the 1970's. We did not get it running today. We did not want to jump start it or charge the battery due to the battery case being swollen. We drained the old gas out of it and removed the battery so that they can get a replacement battery. As soon as they get a new battery, I will go back and see if we can get it running. Hopefully with good fuel and a good battery we will be able to get it running. I will post an update after we have a chance to get it running.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Chris in WNC

if anyone out there has seen paint on a car that looks better in person than in photos, let me know.

paint ALWAYS looks better in photos, including our cars