Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
hb32

Default Recommendations for 40-48 drums

I am installing juice brakes on my pickup with 40-42 hubs and am looking for a good aftermarket drum. Not hearing good things about the offshore versions, out of balance issues.
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Recommendations for 40-48 drums

Contact Richard or Dennis Lacy at the link below. These guys KNOW the good stuff, and they know the junk. They will steer you with CORRECT information. DD

http://www.earlyv8garage.net/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8coopman View Post
contact richard or dennis lacy at the link below. These guys know the good stuff, and they know the junk. They will steer you with correct information. Dd

http://www.earlyv8garage.net/
x2
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

IMO, go the extra bucks for the new ones made in the USA. As others have said, Richard Lacy, and/or his son can supply your needs or will guide you in the right direction.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
hb32

Thanks for the replies and spent the extra $`s for MT products drums.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

MT is beautiful stuff. You will not be disappointed. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
MT is beautiful stuff. You will not be disappointed. DD
When I installed the drums MT backwards against the OEM drums, the run out was less than .001 in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6082small.jpg (58.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6829smallLF.jpg (55.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6834smallrun out.jpg (37.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-16-2015 at 10:51 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
hb32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
5/5/15
One thing for sure
That we all can agree.
MT are the drums are the ones for me.
Shiny
Old 05-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Fred A

Want to get a bit of a surprise, pick up those beautiful MT drums and compare to the Ford made drums. Performance minded guys usually prefer the lightest unsprung weight. Takes a bit of sniffing about to land some really nice Ford drums but still would be cheaper. Good to have choices: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
mrtexas

Another recommendation for the MT drums which I love. Buy the modern style studs they sell. The drums don't have to be swagged to them. You ream the hole and press the studs in. IMHO much easier to do or find someone to do as any machine shop can do it without special tools.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
hb32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Want to get a bit of a surprise, pick up those beautiful MT drums and compare to the Ford made drums. Performance minded guys usually prefer the lightest unsprung weight. Takes a bit of sniffing about to land some really nice Ford drums but still would be cheaper. Good to have choices: Fred A
Meaning the MT's are heavier? No plans to race my pickup with the banger in it and was more concerned about the drums being true.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
hb32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Another recommendation for the MT drums which I love. Buy the modern style studs they sell. The drums don't have to be swagged to them. You ream the hole and press the studs in. IMHO much easier to do or find someone to do as any machine shop can do it without special tools.
So the stock swagged studs will need to be changed? I was going to tack them from behind to prevent movement.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
mrtexas

No old fashioned stock studs can be used. However the modern ones have a star shaped section by the head so they can be pressing into the drums and won't turn. MT are the best drums out there.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
Fred A

Default Heavy Drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb32 View Post
Meaning the MT's are heavier? No plans to race my pickup with the banger in it and was more concerned about the drums being true.
That the MT drums may be heavier is not for me too decide but if you also think that unsprung weight is only a race thing then the added mass of the hub and all should not be any bother to you. Also keep in mind that unsprung weight in seldom a problem on a freight train. Good Luck: Fred A
Old 05-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
hb32

Default Re: Heavy Drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
That the MT drums may be heavier is not for me too decide but if you also think that unsprung weight is only a race thing then the added mass of the hub and all should not be any bother to you. Also keep in mind that unsprung weight in seldom a problem on a freight train. Good Luck: Fred A
So I take it that you are not a fan of the aftermarket drums? Unfortunately, NOS or decent drums are near impossible to find in my part of the world so I am using the best I could find.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
Dennis (EV8G)

It is true that MT drums are noticeably heavier than originals. This is due, in part, to them being thicker. Unless a brake drum is otherwise marked, the legal limit they can be machined to is + .060" from their original size. In the case of the MT drums, they are designed to be legally machined to + .090" oversize. This is indicated on the brake drum.

Having installed many MT drums on customer vehicles I am happy to report that the added weight does not have any adverse effects on how any of those vehicles operate. We have sold 100's of these drums since they became available and not a single person has complained of any adverse effects from the added weight.

We do not swedge the hubs and drums together when using MT drums. Allowing the drums to slip over the studs makes inspecting and servicing the vehicles brakes exponentially easier, especially at the rear. Using either original 01A hubs or the new MT hubs, we use modern hardened studs that press into the hubs. The MT hubs use the same size stud front and rear. Original hubs require different diameter studs (at the knurl) front/rear and for the stud holes in the hubs to be enlarged accordingly. The new studs are also longer than the original Ford studs. This is absolutely necessary because the mounting surface of the MT drums are thicker than originals. Original studs are too short and will not provide adequate threads for the lug nuts.

It is also very important to assemble the hubs/drums with nuts and washers torqued to spec, index mark the hub/drum to one another so that they always go back together in the same position and machine the shoe surface of the drum so that it is concentric with the center line of the hub. In most cases it takes a cut of .010" to accomplish this. You can't simply take the drums out of the box, slip them onto the hubs and start driving.

Last edited by Dennis (EV8G); 05-14-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Dennis (EV8G) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #17
hb32

Thanks for the insight Dennis.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
john in illinois

Dennis I have MT brakes on my Tudor and do not use any washers under lug nuts. What were the washers that you referenced? Thanks.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #19
Dennis (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Dennis I have MT brakes on my Tudor and do not use any washers under lug nuts. What were the washers that you referenced? Thanks.

John
I guess I should have clarified that part so as not to confuse anybody.

I assemble the hub and drum together with flat washers and regular 1/2-20 nuts (for the sake of holding the hub and drum together since they are a slip-fit, not swedged together like originals) and torque the nuts to spec and do an initial light machining of the shoe surface on a brake drum lathe. It is necessary to machine them before use so that the shoe surface of the drum is concentric with the center line of the hub. As they come out of the box, they are not perfect. It usually takes a .010" cut which makes the drum + .020" oversize.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
Fred A

Good that Dennis comes out and gives another side to these great replacement drums. In the past I have sold Ford made drums to Early V8 Garage and have had my own standard or near standard drums trued-up, and shoes arced in their shop as there are no other shops as worthy of that trust. When it comes to turning drums to +.090" most of the guys out here and their decendents don't have enough lives or miles left to take advantage of such luxury. Compared to the dangerously worn out drums that too many old cars run, the MT drums are a huge improvement however massive. Here in Southern California we are blessed with parts availability for the old Fords and we may not appreciate the plight of others and are often reminded curtlly of that difference. On the retail side, I'll be selling another '40 coupe at the Roadster Show in Pomona. Bring Money: Fred A