Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Cool Two spoke, three spoke, or four spoke wheel?

At the urging of my friends who think my parts built jalopy needs a more period correct column and steering wheel, I have started the conversion in a serious way this afternoon. The outer tube of the landcruiser column is the exact same size as the ford's. My digital caliper needs a battery, but a visual inspection says the shaft from the toyota is solid and about 1/8" smaller in diameter than the ford's hollow one. I sawed the offending wheel off just below the blinker switch with a sawzall. My neighbor has a metal lathe and will turn me a stepped coupler that I will weld around the perimeters. Those welds will be around 2 1/4" long around the circumference. The ford tube has plenty of length to be a one piece tube when complete. From my stash I have 3 wheels to choose from. Maybe. The 2 spoke and the 3 spoke are 17" dia, same as the toyota, and the 4 spoke from a two ton is 18" dia. There are U joints to the factory PS box and without a column drop the shaft mounts right under the dash so the 18" is ok for seat clearance. I am liking the look of the 3 spoke but not sure if it's a ford product. Don't recall seeing one. It is on my junker 1/2 ton jailbar panel truck. Neither the 3 or 4 has the two threaded holes for my puller. I have a nice 2 spoke I can use also. The 3 spoke looks like it's gonna be a bear to pull and if I find it has incorrect center hole for the ford shaft I don't think it's worth the effort. Could this 3 spoker be a ford wheel, fitting my shaft correctly? cas3, you reading this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 spoke.jpg (119.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke.jpg (132.5 KB, 185 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Two spoke, three spoke, or four spoke wheel?

If it would help make a decision, the 3 spoke, as pictured, is 180º out. The double spoke should be in the up position.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:22 AM   #3
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
If it would help make a decision, the 3 spoke, as pictured, is 180º out. The double spoke should be in the up position.
It took a couple of seconds to figure out what you meant about the double spoke, but now I get it. I don't recall if the front wheels were pointing straight ahead or not. I will investigate when the sun comes up. How would I pull this wheel without the threaded holes? 3 jaw puller with a ratchet strap or hose clamp holding the jaws tight? The back surface of the wheel is conical.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #4
Mart

I use a split bearing puller behind my wheel. You could drill and tap holes if there is metal in the right place. Don't be tempted to knock the wheel off with a hammer or mallet. I broke a 40 wheel like that.
Not all Ford wheels use the same taper. Heavier trucks use a bigger taper. "Normal" ford shafts are around 3/4". FWIW I measured the taper at 5 degrees, a bit different from the often used 7 degrees for automotive use.

I just weld around the heavily bevelled shaft halves. I don't use a sleeve. Straightness is important.

I have just done some work of a similar nature and have videos in editing.

Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puller.jpg (63.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Mart; 04-03-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

GB Sisson:

I have a vintage Snap On Early Ford steering wheel puller that you can borrow if you'd like. I find it superior to the KR Wilson version. It will remove even the most stuck on steering wheel.

Let me know if you need it.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
GB Sisson:

I have a vintage Snap On Early Ford steering wheel puller that you can borrow if you'd like. I find it superior to the KR Wilson version. It will remove even the most stuck on steering wheel.

Thanks,

Tim
Thanks Tim, very kind of you, but I tend to be impatient (impulsive?) so will probably adapt a 2 jaw puller to create something like in Mart's photo. I hope the wheel's taper is correct for my big truck shaft.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #7
cas3

I have used a bearing splitter like Mart, but I have also drilled and tapped two holes in the hub and then pulled on those with a flat bar across the top and a threaded bolt in the center.
I like 4 spoke wheels, even put a model A wheel in my 34 jalopy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FCE6B474-E56F-483C-9181-996DE554A6E8.jpeg (93.7 KB, 29 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #8
51504bat

2 spoke too small, 4 spoke too big, 3 spoke just right. With apologizes to Goldilocks and the 3 bears.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #9
Lawson Cox

You don't say what period you are working toward on your jalopy, but for WIW, the 3 spoke wheel, to me, looks like an early 30s Ford wheel. I would go with that one if you can make it work. My 2¢.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
pistonbroke

Gary, I think the three spoke is a dodge, 36 to ? . Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Thanks all! I have sort of based this thing on the WW2 desert vehicles used before the jeep was brought in. The 3 spoke is in better shape, but both have cracks here and there. I have a black marine epoxy repair paste called marine-tex that I like for that. It might come down to size as I am seeing I have to stress the column upwards a bit to tuck it tight to the dash. My suburban 3rd row seat sits up above the seat riser higher than stock and that along with the steel pipe safety bar make it tight getting in and out of the drivers seat. Let's wait til I complete the hard part, getting a ford shaft and tube fastened in place and then we can mess with the wheels. Is that 3 spoke wheel on the panel something Ford used? OK, coffee break over, back to the shop.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #12
Reds34

Gary,

I've heard of paople using a torque tube clamshell for pulling steering wheels.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:17 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Lots of good info! Well, we have a wheel in place. Sleeve welded, tube repositioned and I shimmed the bearing plate thats down near the floor so I could mount the tube tight under the dash. I made a heavy duty mount to replace the one from the landcruiser. Some 1 x 1/4" strap and a pipe coupling with the threads ground out a bit. Will give that 3 spoker another shot of penetrant tonight and attempt the pull in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 spoke wheel 1.jpg (129.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke wheel 2.jpg (145.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke 3.jpg (132.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:58 PM   #14
al's28/33

I like the 3 spoke if they are evenly spaced and the 4 spoke is an original classic, which seems to be used on earlier type vehicles. 2 spoke appear to be too modern.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:18 PM   #15
cas3

Nice lookin mount, looks military. Not too many traces of Toyota left on the outside, good job again GB
Old 04-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
GB Sisson:

Thanks,

Tim
Tim, my mailing address is 517 P.... oh never mind I'll send you a PM....
(I'll eat crow, but I don't hanker for it)
Old 04-04-2023, 09:30 PM   #17
GB SISSON

This completes another chapter of this oddball project. Tim will be sending his puller soon, so for now I will take a few drives and see how the 18" feels. I have a nice glovebox door in a parts cab that will complete my dash, and then I need to dive into that transmission and firewall cover. At the firewall I have welded a structure that will hold the screw-on cover for a small residential electrical service/breaker box. This cover has a door so we can open it up on chilly rides home and the engine's fan blows plenty of hot air on us. Nice for the chills, but awful on a hot day while it's all wide open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 spoke painted.jpg (155.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke installed.jpg (131.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #18
flatford8

Two.....Three.....Four......different spokes for different folks......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #19
cas3

Good one Mark !!
Old 04-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Mark, Wasn't that sung by Country Joe and the Fish? I saw them years later performing at the potato festival in Malin Oregon.....