Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Fat Fender

Default '46 Convertible & Camshaft Questions

I am to the point where I want to assemble and adjust the top irons on a '46. Should I attempt to adjust them with the assist springs and top cylinders attached, or adjust the irons with them off, then attach?

Also, any issue using a 39-41 camshaft in a 59AB?

Thanks
Fat Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
scooder

Default Re: '46 Convertible & Camshaft Questions

The earlier cam is a long nose, the 59A is a short nose cam. You'll need a spacer to move the distributor away from the front of the timing cover.
I think most of the vendors can supply this spacer, or you can make one.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
supereal

Adjust the top with the cylinders and assist springs installed. Be sure that all the interconnecting bolts are, in fact, the eccentric type. Each side is adjusted separately to allow the header to drop easily onto the dowels on top of the windshield. This process takes a lot of time, as each change impacts the others. Be sure that the rubber header seal is in good shape, as well as the side rubber seals. Do the adjustment with both the door windows and the quarter windows in the up position, and the doors fully closed. I do it before the canvas is installed, but it can be done otherwise, but takes lots more time and effort.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
sawzall

I am in the middle of this project now.. and I have to say it has been one of the more challenging early ford projects I've encountered..

I dont have the canvas yet, but have found that shimming the body has also proved to be critical... (i guess if I hadnt had the car off the frame, this may not have been as difficult.)

as mentioned above, checking for the correct eccentric bolts proved to be very important.. as someone had replaced one of my eccentrics with a standard bolt.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
supereal

The most important adjustment on your convertible is the cowl angle. The adjustment is on the cast bracket on the frame just ahead of the firewall. Monitor the gap between the rear of the doors to the back quarter. Raise or lower the firewall until you have an even, close gap before you tackle the top adjustment. If you have problems getting the gap correct, you may have to shim the body mounts of the rear section. This is a very time consuming process, as each change affects all others. As for the eccentrics, they are laid out in the 1944-1956 body parts catalog. If you need them, I can scan it for you. I've done several rag tops, including the one shown in the avatar position on my posts. I have had mine for twenty years, and about half that time was spent getting everything just right. They are great fun, but very difficult cars to restore.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
The most important adjustment on your convertible is the cowl angle. The adjustment is on the cast bracket on the frame just ahead of the firewall. Monitor the gap between the rear of the doors to the back quarter. Raise or lower the firewall until you have an even, close gap before you tackle the top adjustment. If you have problems getting the gap correct, you may have to shim the body mounts of the rear section. This is a very time consuming process, as each change affects all others. As for the eccentrics, they are laid out in the 1944-1956 body parts catalog. If you need them, I can scan it for you. I've done several rag tops, including the one shown in the avatar position on my posts. I have had mine for twenty years, and about half that time was spent getting everything just right. They are great fun, but very difficult cars to restore.
I have already scanned that... would be happy to email... save superseal some time...
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote