Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
ljdriver

Default 1948 Ford Coupe Aftermarket Heater

Hello everyone. I have a 1948 Ford coupe that needs a hot water heater/defroster. I'm looking at the Vintage Air #506101 and wonder if anyone here has installed one in a 48 Ford coupe. I'm looking for some feedback as to how it fit, how well it works and how long it takes to install it. Also, if someone has installed another make please tell me what it was and how it worked.
ljdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
malpais

Default Re: 1948 Ford Coupe Aftermarket Heater

There is an original heater on Epay. Needs work, but if the motor works, usually not hard to restore.

Gordon
Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
ljdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpais View Post
There is an original heater on Epay. Needs work, but if the motor works, usually not hard to restore.

Gordon
Yes, I saw that one on Ebay. Actually, I have the Ford heater that was installed in 48 Coupe but the core leaks. I dis-assembled and pressurized it and there are about 6 places where it bubbles. I'm thinking that the core is pretty much shot. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement core? This one is marked in yellow stencil X3016. I'm not sure if this heater assembly is the original model for the 48 Coupe but it's the 3 door model that you see in most all the old Fords. I'm going to take the core to the local radiator shop and get their opinion on repair but I've seen these old radiators repaired and then leak right away in a different spot because the passage ways are too thin from years of use and corrosion.

Any suggestions will be appreciated...
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdriver View Post
Yes, I saw that one on Ebay. Actually, I have the Ford heater that was installed in 48 Coupe but the core leaks. I dis-assembled and pressurized it and there are about 6 places where it bubbles. I'm thinking that the core is pretty much shot. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement core? This one is marked in yellow stencil X3016. I'm not sure if this heater assembly is the original model for the 48 Coupe but it's the 3 door model that you see in most all the old Fords. I'm going to take the core to the local radiator shop and get their opinion on repair but I've seen these old radiators repaired and then leak right away in a different spot because the passage ways are too thin from years of use and corrosion.

Any suggestions will be appreciated...
Go the local radiator shop route. They can build a new core and pressure test your whole heater. Much easier in person. Expect a bill of about $150. Good luck,
Phil
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
malpais

Hey, sorry I was not much help. My radiator repairs have always gone well.

Are the leaks in one spot/one seam? If so, should be repairable.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Rich/Alabama

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I used a core designed for the 66 Mustang and it worked out out well. It's close to the same size and required very few modications to the original case. The other big plus is that it's cheap and readily available, the down side is the outlets don't poke through the firewall like the old one did but you could either run the hoses through the existing holes or close them up and bring the hoses in through the toe board (that's what I did).

Rich
Rich/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
chap52

Check out www.oldairproducts.com They have a great selection of both a/c and heater units as well as electric wipers and are a quality operation.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
ljdriver

Well, I took my heater core to the only radiator shop in the area that still works on copper radiator products and he told me it would run a minimum of $150 to either repair or, more than likely, re-core the heater core. I decided to go ahead and order the Vintage Air #506101 heater kit because the Ford heater was installed in my 1948 Ford coupe hotrod but was not hooked up. My car is now 12 volts and I'm sure the Ford heater has a 6 volt motor and a leaking core. I can keep this heater unit as spare parts for another 1948 Ford Sedan that I have. It's all original and already has a similar heater that works very well. Either that or I may put it on Ebay and sell it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
malpais

Sorry you didn't get a better response from radiator shop. I'm sure the new heater will work great.

Let us know if you post it - can always need another 6 volt motor.

Gordon
Old 01-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
ljdriver

Well, I ordered the Vintage Air #506101 kit from Summett and it arrived the very next day! I finished up the install today, except for the defrost hoses which I will do tomorrow. It's a very neat and well designed kit and easy to install. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to add a heater to their hotrod. I did ask them what a heater and air conditioner combination would cost and the man told me about $1,400.....over my budget for right now.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdriver View Post
Well, I ordered the Vintage Air #506101 kit from Summett and it arrived the very next day! I finished up the install today, except for the defrost hoses which I will do tomorrow. It's a very neat and well designed kit and easy to install. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to add a heater to their hotrod. I did ask them what a heater and air conditioner combination would cost and the man told me about $1,400.....over my budget for right now.
Post some photos of the installation.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
ljdriver

I listed the heater I removed from my 48 Ford Coupe on Ebay today. Search on "1948 Ford Heater". It's the red one....LOL

Better yet, here's the address:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121549816163...84.m1586.l2649