Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default Rear Wheel Bearing Update

I think Kube is correct . It looks like having my axle housings cleaned using the Redi Strip process has took away the hardness of the bearing races . I went out this morning and run a flat file against a pair of housings I am about to use in my 39 LZ Coupe that I just had cleaned and the file will cut metal when run across the bearing race.I then did it on an original housing and the file will skate across the surface. Now I will have to send my housings to have them resleeved. Huge lesson learned here. Like my Dad always told me,"there aint no lesson like a bought lesson".
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
PeteVS

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Update

I didn't think Redi Strip did anything hot enough the anneal hardened steel! At least you won't have to anneal them to turn them down for fitting the sleeves.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Chisel

Thanks for the info Ken.
Chisel
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Rich/Alabama

Ken,
Since you're talking rear axles here maybe you can help me with my "problem". I have a stock 40 rear axle that doesn't vent and because of that, it constantly drips from the drain plug. I have had all kinds of explainations of how they are supposed to vent and have looked in vain for the answer in the green bible but can't find out for sure. All I know is; I'm tired of the mess and would like to get it fixed before driving to BG, Ky in mid-June. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Rich
Rich/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Henry/Kokomo

Some people drill a 1/16" hole in the center of one of the upper banjo-to-bell bolts as a vent. Be sure its one at the top. Hope this helps.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
richard crow

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
ford made that style rear for maney years they made millions of them whith out a vent they vent through the torque tube i have 7 fords & not one of them leak something is wrong. if you were building pressure because of no vent it would be pushing gear lube out the seals. drain the rear clean the threads & paint around the hole look for a crack if no crack is present get a new drain plug put peratex around the thread .
richard crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich/Alabama View Post
Ken,
Since you're talking rear axles here maybe you can help me with my "problem". I have a stock 40 rear axle that doesn't vent and because of that, it constantly drips from the drain plug. I have had all kinds of explainations of how they are supposed to vent and have looked in vain for the answer in the green bible but can't find out for sure. All I know is; I'm tired of the mess and would like to get it fixed before driving to BG, Ky in mid-June. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Rich
Rich, I had the same problem back several years ago. What I did to was drill a hole on the top side of the torque tube and threaded it then screwed in a vent . Its still running that way and no more leaks. Mine would build pressure and sometimes push oil through the axle seals,but the vent cured that. I tried drilling a small hole in one of the banjo bolts but it just pushed oil out through it. So I figuired if I go up the torque tube to get out of the oil it would just relieve air and it works. I dont know why but I have had many of these and never had a problem and have had one or two that would do this. With a seal at the top of the torque tube and seals on each axle it doesnt have anywhere to vent. The later Fords 46-48 had vents on them or at least the Columbias did.

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 05-16-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Rich/Alabama

Thanks for quick answer. It is definitely building up pressure because even after a short drive, I pull the fill plug and it almost jumps out of the housing with big whoosh of pressure expelling. So far no lube out the axles so I wanted get this fixed before the problem got any worse.
Rich/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

After you get those axle housing bearings repaired you may want to consider packing the roller bearings with Sta Lube Heavy Duty Drum Brake Bearing Grease, part number SL3131, marketed by CRC Industries. As noted on the 14 oz. container, this is a "traditional short fiber" grease. This is probably better than a modern "no fiber" grease for these bearings. I found it at a Western Auto store. You could also order this on the internet.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Glenn Thoreson

There are axle sleeves out there that are imported and a lot of them are junk. Be sure you buy US made sleeves. The stripping process should have no ill effect on the races. Look closely at the end of the race. You may see where it has been sleeved in the past, with inferior sleeves.
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
There are axle sleeves out there that are imported and a lot of them are junk. Be sure you buy US made sleeves. The stripping process should have no ill effect on the races. Look closely at the end of the race. You may see where it has been sleeved in the past, with inferior sleeves.
These have never been resleeved. I talked to the owner at the Redi Strip and they run them in an oven that exceeds 800 degrees . I am in the process of boxing them up and sending them to Johnny Stooksbury in Knoxville to get them resleeved.