Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
TagMan

Default '36 Frame Restoration Question

I doing a frame off restoration on my '36 3-window and I'm working on the frame portion of the build now. My question concerns the four body mounts and whether or not I should remove them to get all the crud & rust out from behind them or if I'd be getting into a body fitment problem when I go to install the body again. Or should I clean out as much as possible with the sandblaster and pour some POR15 around them? What have you guys done with them?
Thanks,
-Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Tom Morookian

Default Re: '36 Frame Restoration Question

Just one mans opinion, If you take them off you'll need to drill out the rivits which is a real PAIN. There's virtually no way to put new rivits in so you'll have to bolt them back on. If your a "points car" you could get dinged for the bolts.

Blast them and coat them - they'll be good until your dead.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
TagMan

"Blast them and coat them - they'll be good until your dead. "

I'm leaning that way, Tom - I'm 65 years old, so they don't have to last ALL that long!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
richbud37811

on my 36 i just blasted them
richbud37811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
PeteVS

Not too familiar with '35 and up frames, but it it's anything like '33-'34, I'd be more concerned with what might be between the double thickness portions at the front and rear ends where the X member pieces come out to the frame rails.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Don

I removed mine because they needed some patching on them,a job but easier than trying to repair them on the frame.just bolted them back on,this will be a good driver,but trying to keep it original as possible.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
barryfromvictoria

i had a very good frame with minimal rust the rear body blocks had rust between the block and frame but didn`t appear like much after some carefull measurements i discovered the rust had pushed the blocks outward 1/16" on both sides for an increase of 1/8" in total width of frame at the blocks. some body styles such as conv. hug the frame there at the block. if swapping frames, the body may be too tight to fit easily. i mention this because one may assume frame or body is damaged or sprung when it is a rust problem. they say rust can move the empire state building. if the rust has pushed your blocks out, it is an indication that the rust is almost through on block and frame and i would remove for further inspection. if not i would leave them alone ---barry
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromvictoria View Post
i had a very good frame with minimal rust the rear body blocks had rust between the block and frame but didn`t appear like much after some carefull measurements i discovered the rust had pushed the blocks outward 1/16" on both sides for an increase of 1/8" in total width of frame at the blocks. some body styles such as conv. hug the frame there at the block. if swapping frames, the body may be too tight to fit easily. i mention this because one may assume frame or body is damaged or sprung when it is a rust problem. they say rust can move the empire state building. if the rust has pushed your blocks out, it is an indication that the rust is almost through on block and frame and i would remove for further inspection. if not i would leave them alone ---barry

I can see daylight (maybe 1/16"+ gap), so maybe I will remove them afterall.

Thanks for all of your inputs.
-Bob