Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
mhsprecher

Default Re: Getting the new generation interested

My 27 y.o. son has been enjoying my Model As. I just got them a few years ago, so he was not around them growing up.

He was late to get into cars, but really enjoys them. He has been on the opposite coast, but he has been home this summer and we have driven all over. He loves to drive them and he has helped me work on mine a few times. He leaves soon, but we have had a good time together this summer. I know he will want to drive one of them before he leaves in a week.

When everyone else was into 50's cars when I was a teen, I was into Model As. I even had one for a few years back then. My best friend's dad had a 29 Reo and that was one of my influences back then. It took me 40 years to get another!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
35fordtn

I got my first old Ford (the one in my avatar) when I was 20 which was eight years ago. I had to take out a loan for it. It was $10,000 and was way more than I ever could afford. Since then I have been bit by the bug and now have 6 Early Fords and have turned this hobby into a full time job. I grew up around old Fords but never showed a lot of interest until I actually owned one. The kids and grand kids of the owners of these cars will be the future of the hobby. They may or may not show interest, but in my opinion when they do, help them out and give them a little praise when they work on their car to better it.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #23
37pickupproject

I bought my first early ford last year at the age of 23. This by far has been the best decision I've ever made and I haven't even driven this thing yet....

I had a few thousand saved up and was looking for an old project Truck. No particular truck in mind but I was thinking about something from 50s-60s. All of sudden a good friend calls me and tells me about this old truck his grandpas had for 30 years. Didn't know a thing about it. Couldn't tell me the year, make, how many doors, etc. I drive over there and take a look. First glance i smiled ear to ear. I knew right away this was something i had to have. There was a license plate frame that read 37 ford. If it wasnt for that i wouldnt have known it was a ford. Then I walked to the front of the truck without a front clip on. What's this thing?? A flathead? I had heard of them at the time but didn't know a thing about em. The truck was mostly complete but a large project.

No windows, no bed, fenders very rough shape, no running boards, no interior. I said what the hell, what does he want for it? His grandpa in his late 80s walks outside with a cane In hand. He said to me "if this is something you can tackle, I would love to give you a good deal on it." 350$ later my other friend is on his way with a car trailer.

Turns out the truck was in worse shape then I thought. In the past year I have torn it down the frame, repaired multiple sections of frame, blasted and painted it, rebuilt the banjo rear end, added 40 juice brakes to the rear, and rebuilt the 37 trans with 39 internals. I have installed a drop axle and spring then split the bones. Then I found out the block was cracked in the center four cylinders.

A month or so later I bought a frozen 59ab for 100$. Took two weeks to take it apart. Now it's at the machine shop getting everything done to it. I will be assembling the engine. Other than the machine work I have done absolutely everything myself In the garage.

If it wasnt for knowledgeable ford barners I would have given up by now. A banjo rear end? A flathead? All news to me. I've had so much help from the fordbarn and my local store Little Dearborn it's unbelieveable.

I agree with other comments completely. My parents were divorced when I was at a young age. My dad wasn't around to talk cars, show me to wrench. I took auto shop in high school, then auto/diesel technical school. Now I work for BNSF railroad as a mechanic. If it wasnt for this job I wouldn't be able to afford rent, 30 grand in student loans, and parts for my old Truck. Money is always a factor as Ol Ron had said.

Last edited by 37pickupproject; 07-31-2015 at 05:53 AM.
37pickupproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 AM   #24
37pickupproject

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my story to remind you old timers there is still hope for us youngsters. This photo is the day I bought my truck. It's almost our 1 year anniversary haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150731_17271.jpg (66.3 KB, 39 views)
37pickupproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #25
chap52

I was "on hold" for awhile as the shop (builds flatheads) was struggling to catch up. I suggested to the owner that he go to the local High School and speak with the auto shop teacher and see if he could not find a student or two willing to put in some sweat labor to learn the art of building these old engines
At the time it sounded good "in theory". Today's reality, insurance and liabilities if one of them got hurt. Guess the best way is to keep it in the family and when my grandson smashes his finger I can just tell him that it's part of the learning process and also the first installment on his future inheritance.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #26
redmodelt

Make sure your car insurance allows driver younger then 25 to be able to drive your car. Some company's don't. By 25 most are out of the interested in old stuff age. Hook them while their young.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #27
Fredb_

35Fordtn and 37pickupproject, good to hear from two of the "younger" generation!! It's nice to hear your story and progress. This site and these guys have helped me immensely with my 38 sedan.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #28
46ford

Took my '50 Tudor to the dealership where it was bought new. Young sales guy took me to a desk and showed me a pic of a '50 another salesman used to have.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote