Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
40ford

Default Wrong Fuel Cap:

I took a friend of mine to pick up a super nice 1950 Mercury coupe yesterday he had purchased..When we got back to his house and looking at car I noticed fuel cap which I thought was not correct.When I took it off there was a lot of pressure released.What kind of problems does this create?I got some photos I will try and post,i know everyone like pictures!
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Wrong Fuel Cap:

Was it pressure or was it a vacuum when you released the cap? I would think that after driving with a non-vented cap you would create a vacuum in the tank. It should be a vented cap so that it cannot build up pressure on not days when the car is sitting and the fuel heats up and the vapors need to vent. Then when the engine is running the cap needs to be vented to allow air to flow into that tank to replace the fuel being pulled out by the pump. If air cannot flow into the tank the fuel pump will not be able to pull fuel out. You need a new "vented" cap. If the tank did have pressure in it after driving, make sure the exhaust is not to0 close to the tank and heating up the fuel.

Modern cars have non-vented gas caps, which are actually vented by a valves in the caps. The valves will open when the vacuum or pressure exceeds the spring tension of the valves. It only takes something like 1 lb. of pressure and the cap will open and vent excessive pressure. By being closed most of the time it prevents hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) from escaping into the atmosphere
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #3
40ford

It felt like a lot of pressure to me.Thanks FlatheadIMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
petehoovie

[QUOTE=40ford;2225759]It felt like a lot of pressure to me.Thanks FlatheadAttachment 516059

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
Karl Wescott

Immaterial. The fuel system HAS to be vented whether through the cap or other arrangement. Cool gasoline gives off vapor and if contained increases pressure when warming, and condenses vapor and creates a vacuum when cooling, and the fuel pump creates a vacuum when drawing fuel out of the tank. If you have pressure when you release the cap you have a potentially explosive cloud of flammable vapor looking for a source of ignition (cell phone, cigarette, static electricity spark etc), or you could blow a hose off a fitting with equally catastrophic results. With vacuum and a strong enough fuel pump you could collapse the tank, or just quit running because fuel quits moving.
Whether its the wrong cap, the vent hole in the cap is blocked, or another vent system blocked there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:00 PM   #6
APDAVE

Nice 50 Mercury! Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:53 AM   #7
JayChicago

Karl
You said " a source of ignition (cell phone, cigarette, static electricity spark etc)"

I am curious how a cell phone can be a source of ignition. I use one often, don't want to blow-up something some day.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #8
deuce_roadster

Good explanations by Flathead Fever and safety info from Karl. You need to identify what the problem is and I vote for either a plugged vented cap or a non vented cap on a car that needs one.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:26 PM   #9
paul2748

You and your friend were lucky. Due to the buildup of pressure the engine might have quit (no gas being pulled through)or sucked in the gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
I took a friend of mine to pick up a super nice 1950 Mercury coupe yesterday he had purchased..When we got back to his house and looking at car I noticed fuel cap which I thought was not correct.When I took it off there was a lot of pressure released.What kind of problems does this create?I got some photos I will try and post,i know everyone like pictures!
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote