Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Primer

Knowing what my project is and being limited to my home garage, my PPG retailer recently suggested I use a new (at least to me) product U-Tech 2K100. 4 parts product to 1 part catalyst and spray. Leaves a very dark and easily sanded (400+) finish … important to me as I am going with dark Rock Moss Green/Black. Have also used this on my pickup bed wood and a light coat on my floorboards.

Product is less expensive (not cheap) than the PPG top line, but seems to doing a nice job for my purpose.

Not trying to stir up a debate on ‘best products’ … just sharing a tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00019.jpg (30.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00018.jpg (46.9 KB, 46 views)
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Jazzjr

Default Re: Primer

Thanks Charles for the Info, looks like a good Primer Finish, I'll have to give it a try.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Ron in Quincy

Charles,

I do like the black primer; have always used black tint to the gray primer to make it black. Nothing worse than a chip on dark color and have light gray primer stick out like a sore thumb.

I saw the last photos you posted, your early pickup is looking great !!!!!!

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Kevin in NJ

A source of a quality low cost primer paint is Southern Polyurethane's Paints.

Not saying it is better or worse. SPI has a good reputation.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Glenn C.

A experienced body man once told me to never use or open a tube of silicone sealer in the shop, or around the vehicle body or component that is in primer. The vapors prevalent with the silicone cause "fish-eyes". True or not.......I do not know, but it is a practice I try to follow in the shop area.

Keep going......sure will be nice!
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
TechNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
A experienced body man once told me to never use or open a tube of silicone sealer in the shop, or around the vehicle body or component that is in primer. The vapors prevalent with the silicone cause "fish-eyes". True or not.......I do not know, but it is a practice I try to follow in the shop area.

Keep going......sure will be nice!

True.
TechNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
TechNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
Knowing what my project is and being limited to my home garage, my PPG retailer recently suggested I use a new (at least to me) product U-Tech 2K100. 4 parts product to 1 part catalyst and spray. Leaves a very dark and easily sanded (400+) finish … important to me as I am going with dark Rock Moss Green/Black. Have also used this on my pickup bed wood and a light coat on my floorboards.

Product is less expensive (not cheap) than the PPG top line, but seems to doing a nice job for my purpose.

Not trying to stir up a debate on ‘best products’ … just sharing a tip.
I am a PPG user but have also used some UTech products. I would never advise mixing two different brands of product on the same car. Once you get to the stage of needing primer, stick with that brand thru to topcoat.
PPG has a value line called OMNI that is fully compatible with their Deltron line. They also have a Commercial Performance Coatings (CPC) line that is also compatible with their other products. I use alot of CPC EPX series epoxy and CPC AUE-100 single stage for painting equipment and alot of low gloss black on the Model A.
On another car site I am getting PM's from a guy wanting advice on repairing his peeling paint. He used one brand of primer and another brand of topcoat. The paint can be scratched off with his fingernail, no adhesion.
It's no surprise that neither co. will help him out. When I was a jobber tech I had to tell alot of shops NO because I knew they mixed brands causing a failure.
Be careful with dark primers, make sure you use a light guidecoat and have ALOT of additional lighting in the shop so you can see where you sanded. It is harder to see small defects in a dark primer.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Charles Reese

Mr. Rude: thanks for the encouragement .. in person, the primer color is much darker (almost a black) than in my photo. I agree, i am using the dark to minimize chips showing as much. Unfortunately, the cool weather will prevent any further prep/painting until spring .. will work on some of the 'small stuff' during the winter.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Charles Reese

TechNova: thanks for your info. I questioned my PPG dealer when he suggested the UT brand and he stated that they would back it 100%. Maybe I am naive, but i assumed they would not stock/offer it if it was not compatible with their products. I have had Concept over this for 6+ months, including buffing, etc with no apparent problems (yet). I am aware of the problem with dark color so am using light grey during body work stage and using this darker as my last 'primer' stage.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
TechNova

Quote:
Mr. Rude: thanks for the encouragement .. in person, the primer color is much darker (almost a black) than in my photo. I agree, i am using the dark to minimize chips showing as much. Unfortunately, the cool weather will prevent any further prep/painting until spring .. will work on some of the 'small stuff' during the winter.

For chip reduction, on a single stage add flex additive.
On a BC/CC activate the base and use a flex in clear.
CHECK WITH THE PAINT MFG. TO BE SURE THIS IS ACCEPTABLE!
PPG has told me it is OK with DBC base and the Deltron clears.

Last edited by TechNova; 11-26-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: I think I misunderstood Mr Reese's post
Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Charles Reese

thread removed

Last edited by Charles Reese; 11-26-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: misunderstanding of info in previous post
Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
TechNova

Quote:
TechNova: thanks for your info. I questioned my PPG dealer when he suggested the UT brand and he stated that they would back it 100%. Maybe I am naive, but i assumed they would not stock/offer it if it was not compatible with their products. I have had Concept over this for 6+ months, including buffing, etc with no apparent problems (yet). I am aware of the problem with dark color so am using light grey during body work stage and using this darker as my last 'primer' stage.
We have a local jobber that has done the same with UTech, the PPG rep has threatened to pull their distributorship. I have never understood why a jobber would do this, most just don't understand. There is absolutely no advantage to them to do this, except of course, the financial kickbacks to managers we have been hearing about.
They must be backing it as a jobber, not PPG or UTech. Is it labor and materials or only materials warranty? time span?

Some jobbers carry multiple brands, I only by from dedicated PPG jobbers.

We have a PPG lifetime warranty, I have been in shops with 3 different PPG reps, all have stated they would give no warranty to shops that have other brands sitting on the shelf. Doesn't matter it they used it on the car that failed, their is no way to prove they didn't so the warranty is gone.

I am not saying every one will fail, you have merely increased the odss of failure. By what percent? who knows, it's all a gamble. Some hardly ever cause problems, others such as a certain HOK base and PPG clear will almost always fail.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
TechNova

Quote:
please understand that "Ron in Quincy"'s last name is "Rude" ... I was raised (+30 years of active duty Navy) considering "Mr." a polite term.

we have been communicating for several years ... and i greatly appreciate his advice
I editted my post shortly after posting it.
I read it as a smart aleck comment, which I see now it was not.
My sincere apology.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Charles Reese

no apology needed ... now back to "Model A-ing"