Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Digger

Default 4 Years, finished the '34 Three Window

Merry Christmas to all Barners! I have finished the 34 Three Window, here is a bunch of info on it below.

The Full Photo Slide Show
Ask if you want the full photo slide show highlighting the entire Three Window build and final results.Nearly every single item mentioned below is documented with detailed photos.

Documented History
In 2006, Pete Hansen of Cupertino, CA, a member of the Mission Trail Early Ford V8 Club, and in his 90's, wanted to own and restore his dream car: a 1934 Ford Deluxe Three Window Coupe.A friend of his, Mike Sanders of Morgan Hill, CA, also a member of Mission Trail, (and current President) was given the task of finding Pete his Three Window.

In 2007, Mike found a Three Window in Daly City, CA.The owner was Robert Anduha, who first acquired the car in 1957.I spoke to Robert a few years ago.He was a dirt track racer from the area in the 1950s.A friend of his needed money to get back into the dirt track racing hobby, so he sold the Three Window to Robert.Since Robert was not into all stock vehicles, he simply stored it away.(See the CA DMV registration with the 1957 date.)

It remained in storage for 50 years!Oddly enough, it resided about a mile away from the house in Daly City where I was born and raised.I was not into the old Fords as a kid, not knowing this amazing Three Window was a mile away, and in my future!

As of May of 2007, Pete Hansen bought the Three Window. It was transported to Mike Sanders place so the restoration could begin.Below is the only existing photo of Pete and the Three Window at Mike's place the day it arrived.

Pete and Mike sorted through the car, and myriad original parts that came with it. They got the chassis completed to the point of a running chassis and drive train.They also ordered the LeBaron Bonney interior, new glass, had the grille restored, and a few other items.

By 2011, Pete's project was no longer feasible for him. Mike was aware I was looking to buy a 1934 Three Window, so he gave me ring.In January of 2011, I acquired the car.

The Build
For this Three Window, I wanted to take time to restore it in a way that would show off all the originality, simplicity and styling, as well as fine tune the details to make the overall restoration really stand out.

Upon inspection and purchase of the car, I was amazed at the fantastic condition the sheet metal was in.The metal is where most of the prestige and value lay with these Three Windows.The body was excellent, near perfect.The bolt-on items such as fenders, doors and door tins, rumble lid, hood, were also absolutely great!

I could now begin the restoration process on the perfect-find Three Window.Through the four years of work, I kept an extensive photo history and receipts documenting the build.

Sheet Metal
The sheet metal on this coupe is in premiere original condition, just as a collector would like it to be.
Exceptions to this are:
·12" vertical cut in the passenger side of the firewall, that has been repaired
·Each lower quarter panel has a small patch at the bottom, approximately 7" x 3"
·Aftermarket running boards are on the car, but the originals are included
·Aftermarket gas tank cover, but the original is included
·The rear window drip pan is an aftermarket

Other than these items, ALL the metal is excellent.This includes the body, floors, four fenders, the hood, doors, the rumble lid and all the panels such as the 2 lower radiator/grille pans, interior front fender panels, differential cover, door tins, transmission cover, everything. (Pete painted the front fenders on his own, way before the build; he just could not wait to tinker around with them!)

Exterior
Body and paint were done by Jesse Cruz, of Salinas, CA.Jesse has painted several cars that have won awards on the 18th Lawn at the Pebble Beach Concour D'Elegance.The deep black mirror finish is really impressive.The body and sheet metal parts came together as they should, with smooth closing doors, correct fitting panels, etc.

The Three Window was originally a trunk car, but I prefer a rumble seat, so I converted it over, with the spring loaded interior release handle.
As we view the exterior of the car, here is a list of unrestored original 1934 Ford items:
·Blue ovalFord emblem on the top of the grille.I feel this is a signature of my build, an 80 year old original emblem that is not restored, but instead stating this car is the real deal.

·Outside door handles
·Outside door lock and key (not working)
·Hub caps with proper blue logo paint
·Tail light stanchions
·Spare tire lock and key
·Roof tack strips, very hard to find
·Set of four 17" trim rings, ultra rare

Here is a list of exterior restored original1934 Ford items:
·Fully restored grille and its original V8 emblem
·Pair of bumpers
·Pair of stainless headlamps
·Pair of stainless cowl lights
·Pair of horns
·Windshield frame
·Five powder coated 17" Kelsey Hayes bent spoke rims
·The rumble seat was ordered, and built at the LeBaron Bonney factory
·Rumble seat spring release mechanisms
·Rumble seat tool pouch on passenger side
·Proper triple pin striping on the body belt line, and on the hood louvers, by Frank Signs, of Seaside, CA

Proper features that I have added to the exterior of car:
·Original restored 1933 spare tire cover, I like prefer the look of the '33 cover
·Luggage rack with leather straps
·JD made greyhound hood ornament radiator cap
·Five Brand new Firestone Deluxe Champion wide white walls
·Blue dot tail light lenses
·Ford Script locking gas cap with working key
·All new glass with proper July of 1934 Safety bugs.Driver and passenger windows execute the correct horizontal vent motion when rolled down, since the Three Window has its original window regulators.

Interior
A full, new LeBaron Bonney interior kit was expertly installed by Andy & Me Interiors of Sand City, CA.
For the interior of the car, here is a list of unrestoredoriginal1934 Ford items:
·Fully operational dual fuel/temp gauge
·Fully operational dual amp meter, ON/OFF gauge
·Fully operational vacuum wiper
·Fully operational cigar lighter
·mirror bracket
·fully operational dome light
·1934 Chicago World's Fair Century of Progress soybean gear shift knob

Here is a list of interior restored original1934 Ford items:
·Front seat frame, back rest and seat.The Three Window still had its original seat soft goods, really not usable, but still intact!

·All interior handles and escutcheons are excellent originals that were re-nickel plated by Van Nuys Plating, and have 80 year old marble ends
·Dash board, window & windshield garnish moldings wood grained by Nick Cassero of Hayward, CA
·Steering wheel and horn button
·1934 Ford ash tray radio
·Speedometer/odometer.It took about a week sitting in the living room with a portable drill, zeroing the speedometer.Check it out!When I got to 00000, look at where the trip odometer ended up!1934!!!What are the mathematical odds of that happening?Wow!
·Sun visors with single hinge, which was an early 1934 feature and very hard to find.The hinges have been re-nickel plated, and the passenger side still continually swings forward into the passenger, just like it did in the day.That is why Ford went to a dual hinge visor, but I left it like this on purpose to keep its originality.

Proper restored features for the interior:
·New door sill plates
·New floor mat
·Pine floor board & battery cover stained with clear high gloss
·Chromed transmission shifter handle

Chassis and Mechanics
A top priority of the restoration was excellent mechanics and drivability. I also wanted to make the engine/compartment and undercarriage as impressive and restored as the top side.Mike Sanders had already restored the chassis, rebuilding the steering components, brakes, suspension, etc, but I took it all apart again to personally restore each item. I took the car down to the bare frame, painted it with gloss black, along with each and every individual piece.

The underside of the body, fenders and entire gas tank were painted & detailed just like the topside, in gleaming black mirror paint.

Many chassis parts were sand blasted and powder coated in gloss black or 60% semi-gloss black by Monterey Peninsula Power Coating.Here is a list of the major components done:

Oil PanOriginal ShocksFront AxleBacking Plates
Brake DrumsSpark Plug TubesRadiator PanShock Links

Fan Brake RodsWishboneOil Filler Cap

SpindlesFront Springand many other components

The striking look of the black powder coating was further highlighted with the use of white cad plated fasteners.

I did this where the fastening details would stand out, such as on the rear end, the oil pan, backing plates, brake pins, cotter pins, etc.Of course this means this Three Window cannot win a Dearborn, but this over-the-top detailing is not only unique, but allows the hobbyist to observe the Three Window's components like no other.

The Engine
·Is a true 1936 LB motor.In other words, it has insert bearings rather than babbitt bearings.Back in the day, dealerships very often replaced 1934 original motors with 1936 motors.
·See photo of the LB stamping on the top of the block, and photos of the inside
·The motor was rebuilt by Norm Fontaine, of Campbell, CA and runs very strong and reliable.It fires right up, and tics at a very low RPM like a vintage sewing machine.When standing next to it, you can barely tell it is running.
·The motor was fully detailed, as the photos depict, and dressed with 1934 components such as the aluminum heads, intake manifold, oil intake, etc.
·Brand new gloss black British made Stromberg 97 carb
·Original radiator re-cored by Monterey Radiator
·Rebuilt original generator, fuel pump, and distributor, brand new starter, rebuilt water pumps by Skip Haney, Ford Script hoses, cad plated hose clamps
·Ultra rare 3 piece Champion X spark plugs
·Correct brass Siamese fuel line for gasoline and fuel gauge
·Added a glass fuel filter in between the fuel pump and carb so you can see the gasoline flowing

Drive Train
·The transmission is a 1934 rebuilt by Norm Fontaine, and at the request of Pete Hansen, contains Zephyr gears.

·The rear end is a 3:54, for highway cruising, the way Pete wanted it done.
·This combination lends to very high first gear, but by the time you get to third, the Three Window is cruising as a high clip with no whining of drive train parts.
·All the brakes have been rebuilt, new shoes, new bearings, all 4 original shocks in place.
·Steering box rebuilt and filled with John Deere corn head grease for smooth operation and leak prevention
·All new 6 volt, positive ground wiring, and added a hidden battery cut off switch underneath on the driver side, just past the running board

Drivability
·The Three Window starts right up, idles perfect and drives down the road as expected.It is geared for highway driving, rather than around town 4:11 style, but that was Pete's intention.The brakes and electrical work great, no overheating, smooth turning, all the electrical works as it should, so overall, a fantastic build.

The Matching Trailer
I took the trailer completely apart, rebuilt the mechanics, had an interior carpet made, and of course, had Jesse Cruz paint it to match The Three Window.Added a set of powder coated red 17" Kelsey Hayes bent spoke rims, with rare 17" trim rings, and brand new Firestone Deluxe Champion tires.It also has:

·1937 Ford Script handle with key (does not lock)
·1934 Ford V8 logo, new set of 1934 hub caps
·California BIG SUR 1970's copy license plate
·New trailer parts such as hitch ball and safety chains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00853.jpg (102.2 KB, 2841 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00869.jpg (108.6 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00913.jpg (61.1 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00950.jpg (59.2 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04775.jpg (51.0 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04879.jpg (96.0 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06871.jpg (35.8 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07988.jpg (84.2 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08184.jpg (93.9 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08230.jpg (113.0 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg Petes 34 3W.jpg (61.6 KB, 582 views)
File Type: jpg skirts 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00350.jpg (95.4 KB, 733 views)
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
PeterC

Default Re: 4 Years, finished the '34 Three Window

Absolutely stunning - speechless as to the perfection this restoration represents .. Congratulations ... Wow .. no words
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Mike B

Is this a build thread or prelude to a sale?

Awesome car, but was wondering?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
mfagan

Great documentation!! You really stuck with it!!

Congrats on a beauty!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
-Big Al-

very nice, love the story/write up.
Al.
-Big Al- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

WOW!! Very nicely done. What are your plans for this car? Will it be driven or will it be kept as a show car?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

Absolutely beautiful. Yes, what are you going to do with it??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
4tford

beautiful for sure
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
30-9

Outstanding - best of luck!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Digger

I admit, I have more obsession than sense, so first off I like to go out into the shop and stare at it from every angle. As of yet, I have not shown it anywhere, as we have Jalopies & Java every other Saturday at the Warf, but the last two have been rained out.

This is the first car I have had or done at this level, so it is new to me. After driving it around, I do wipe down both the top and underneath. I have other driver level cars which, honestly, are more fun, and less work, to take out. So as spring comes, I will take it and the trailer to local shows, keep it close to home.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

A knockout that's for sure! Congrats!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
mhsprecher

In a word, awesome.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
TonyM

Nice. Thanks for posting.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #14
fishnjim

wow nice job!
fishnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #15
Drbrown

2 x all above ! Your dedication in accomplishing this project is greatly appreciated.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
waltere

Great Job!!!!! It takes a lot of patiance.
waltere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #17
34ford

very nice , enjoy showing it off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 155.jpg (137.9 KB, 190 views)
34ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #18
Mart

Fantastic job, Digger. I can never get past the "get it running and driving" state, but I can appreciate the hard work, time and money it must take to do that standard of a job.

Well done, give yourself a pat on the back.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #19
V8COOPMAN

As remarkable and stunning as this car is in every aspect, the skirts are the signature touch that knocked it out of the park.........absolutely gorgeous! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #20
smross

Absolutely stunning. Congratulations.
smross is offline   Reply With Quote