Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Deuce Man

Default Modern Oil

What is everybody doing about oil in their flat tappet Fords now that they have taken the good stuff out of the oil? I broke in a new small block Chevy on Mobil 1 - had the cam fail after 3,000 miles. My speed shop guy says comp.cams break in additive is manditory forever! Speedway's catalog pretty much says the same for all flat tappet cams. Should I be running this phosphorus additive in my flathead? What is everybody else doing?
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
poweredbylincoln

Default Re: Modern Oil

I put either comp cams additive in my oil OR I put in redline additive...

For the price you get more redline for your money the neck of the comp cams bottle is empty

But I calculated it and I think itd be cheaper to buy oil with it in it..I have to look up the name of the brand but there is stuff thatd be cheaper
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
paul2748

Number one, they have not taken "the good stuff" out of all the oil. Any oil with a 40 weight or better (10/40, 20/50, 15/40) has all the good stuff (ZDDP) that any flat tappet engine needs. This includes flatheads and YBlocks in Fords. Any oil marked "For gasoline engines only" should not be used in a flat tappet engine. Rotella T 15/40 contains 1100PPM of ZDDP, which I think is about double of the oil used in the 60's. I use either Castrol 20/50 or Rotella T in my flat tappet engines with no problems.

If your doing a break in, an additive might be warranted and is good protection. EOS or any of the other additives should be ok.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
19Fordy

STP in the blue bottle has zinc in it. At least the label says it does.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Paul/Seattle

Chevron DELO also is good for flat tappets, I've been using it in my 49 for about 7 years and have had no problems. Of course I change my oil every winter and I only put about 1500 miles a year on my 49.
Paul/Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The Current API SM rated oils still have enough ZDDP (800 ppm ZDDP) for a flathead V8 since the spring pressures are light anyway. If it is modified with heavy spring pressures then that is different.

Lubriplate has become a specialty oil vendor for the GL1 type gear lubes and motor oils in both straight mineral and detergent that have the API SJ properties with 1200 ppm of ZDDP. I have a Purvis Bearing vendor here locally that is a distributor for these products. Restoration Supply Co is also a distributor for Lubriplate products.

Be careful about additives. Some are "ZDDP replacement" additives that have no ZDDP at all.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
hotrodfreak

I was told to use Diesel engine oil (with zinc) in my flathead.
Another guy told me he uses Aviation gas for same reason.
hotrodfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The 100 Low Lead (100LL) avgas is fairly expensive right now but it is the best quality and most stable gasoline that is on the market at least for the price anyway. It has more tetra ethyl lead than a flathead really needs but it won't hurt anything and the stuff stays stable for more than a year.

Shell Rotella still has API SJ quantities of ZDDP but it will only untill the current supply runs out. The EPA will not have fullfilled its mission until they have muzzled every volcano with a gas filtration system or until the USA goes broke, whichever happens first.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-23-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Chris Nelson

I talked to the tech at Amsoil and he said thet they have no problem with flat tappet cams. Their oil is good to go right out of the container and will not have any detrimentaql effect on flat tappet cams. caveat emptor
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

The Mobil oil Co. Has a video answering all the myths about synthetic oils. Acording to them this oil is recommended for old vehicles. they also recommend changing oil every 25K. I'm considering running 5W30 Mobil 1 in my grandsons new engine. However I will contact Mobil to find out about the lifters. I'll be using the stock 52-3 short springs shimmed to 45lbs with rotators. We'll see??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote