Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Evan Lewis

Default Door Handle and Door Latch Springs

Hey Fordbarners; I surely do need your help! On my '31 Tudor, on the passenger side I have a droopy door handle and a kind of lazy door latch. I took the handle out and then took out the four (4) screws and removed the door latch assembly from the door. The spring for the door handle is broken and the spring that returns the door latch to its' proper position is just weak and appears to be worn out.
The door latch spring is on a round pin and the door handle spring is on the round stem that the door handle fits into. It appears to me both the pin and the stem must come out to replace these two (2) springs.
My question is how does the round pin the door latch spring is on and the round stem the door handle spring goes around come out? They must come out because I purchased a spring assortment from Mike's AFordAble Parts that is used to replace these springs.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even suggestions as to where I can find this information.
Many Thanks!

Evan Lewis
Evan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Door Handle and Door Latch Springs

go to the orange county model a ford club web site and look at the recent back issues of their newsletter. I think its may 2012 that has a technical article on rebuilding the latches. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

If I recall correctly the rivet is just a hollow rivet with the end split a little and I squeezed it together to remove it, then replaced the spring, reinstalled the rivet and opened the end again. See the pictures I posted of my 29 Tudor latch:

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...or+latch+tudor
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Evan Lewis

Thanks Bob and Tom for your responses!
Bob: I found the article you mentioned on the OC Model A Ford site and it is a tremendous help. Now if I can just find out what "upset the pin" means?
Tom: Thanks for the reference to your pictures; they are a big help. That old door latch looks new!
I'll tackle this little project on Monday sometime.

Evan Lewis
Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Lewis View Post
Thanks Bob and Tom for your responses!
Bob: I found the article you mentioned on the OC Model A Ford site and it is a tremendous help. Now if I can just find out what "upset the pin" means?
Tom: Thanks for the reference to your pictures; they are a big help. That old door latch looks new!
I'll tackle this little project on Monday sometime.

Evan Lewis
Upset means to deform the end to lock it in place.
Yes, I got lucky to find such a good 29 Tudor. Someone painted it an ugly color many years ago, but the metal is really nice. Those are the original latches that I cleaned and lubed when I replaced the springs.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Evan Lewis

Thanks, Tom. I figured that is what it must be, but just wanted to be certain and I knew sone of you all would confirm it for me.
Didn't get to work on it today; maybe tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll post my success or lack of same.

Evan Lewis
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Evan Lewis

Well, well! I'm glad to say that with the capable help of my chief assistant (My wife Kathy!) I now have put new springs in both doors of my '31 Tudor. It wasn't easy, but the second one was much easier and went much faster than the first one.
I put a new door handle spring in the passenger side door and new latch springs in both doors so I now have horizontal exterior door handles and very strong latches on both doors.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help on this little project and if anyone has any questions for me just let me know.
Regards,
Evan Lewis