Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Dave Jones

Default Ignition timing 1941 flathead

Back again for a couple more questions.
I got my old girl running pretty good after some good advice from some of you good folks.

It was running pretty bad when I got it so I did a compression test, vacuum test, installed the correct plugs, rebuilt the carb, removed the distributor and set the points, new battery, big fat battery cables, rebuilt generator, new made in USA voltage reg. Still 6 volt.

Now she starts easily runs smooth and a big difference in acceleration and overall performance. My issue now is it seems to flutter a bit at higher rpms. I have no tach but just by ear I would say aroung 2500 or a bit higher. Is there a way to check or adjust the timing advance? Just seems to me that is the way it feels. I set the points at .016 no idea about the dwell or any other settings. I do not want to over think this stuff being it is my first flathead. I tend to look for the simple cuz I am simple minded!

Thanks for the help so far!
Davy
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Ignition timing 1941 flathead

G'Day Dave , I live just down the road from you , on mt. holly RD. (hwy 27)just past 485 . I do all my own flathead work & have been building them for over 40 years .But , I dont do my own distributors as it takes a distributor machine to set them correctly & the distributor & the coil are the key to flattys running sweet!!!
I have Skip Haney build my coils & either Skip or Bubba (a regular on here & a very knowlegeable great guy !!)set up my distributors .
PM me if you have any other questions !
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

You must set points with the coil screwed down to the dist,or you will lose about .003-.004 " setting with out it.So your down to around .011 setting if coil was not on it.Recheck it with it on. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
cmbrucew

ken ct
Thanks for the tip.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts ong time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Dave Jones

Great info guys! Thanks

Davy
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
ken ct
Thanks for the tip.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts ong time
This only applies to helmet type dist. NOT crab ones. ken ct.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Dave Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
G'Day Dave ,
I have Skip Haney build my coils & either Skip or Bubba (a regular on here & a very knowlegeable great guy !!)set up my distributors .
PM me if you have any other questions !
Cheers
Tony
Hi Tony,
I would like to get in touch with Skip if possible to set up my distributor. I sent you a pm.

Thanks,
Davy
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Skip is at 12168 Azure Court Punta Gorda, FL 33955 941-637-6698.
Jim Linder (Bubba) also rebuilds distributors, excellent work, Linder Technical Services 1330 Main St. Speedway, IN 46224 317-487-9460
You may find the distributor work does not fix your problem since 2500 RPM is about the time when the Carb changes flow. Double check your Carb and if necessary contact Charlie Schwendler, cas5845 yahoo com (just fill in the blanks) for his recommendation on the Power Valve.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
ken ct
BANNED

I would go with Bubba. Your flutter could also be a too high a # power valve. I like to use a #5.5. most kits today come with a 7.5 and they open too fast.OMO. ken ct. I also use .049 MJ's. not .051
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Dave Jones

Thanks Terry and Ken,
I will look in tio the power valve. I did not take note of the #, and the kit came with two. One was a little different ( had a lower profile and not so pronounced plunger.) Also what float level is common? I set it at 1 1/4".
I will also have a peep at the main jets to see what they are as well.

The reason I think it may be a distributor problem or spark isue is that is seems to run like it is dropping a cyl or two when it is at driving rpm. I drove it yesterday and up to 35mph is good but over that she's a bit bumpy feeling. I did a choke test and it got worse so even though it feels lean to me it may be too rich and could be a power valve issue or main jet. Also it still has cloth covered plug wires. any concerns there? I guess I need to open the hood in the dark and see if I have any wires grounding.

Davy
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

Power valves are coded,it depends how you read the #'s on them if they have any at all. Mine do . The odd looking valve is a spark valve[not power valve]goes on later carbs after 52 or so with auto trans mainely.These work opposite the way a PV works.Dont use it.Did it have a rubber type accelerator pump and a rubber tipped inlet needle or one that you tighten up with a 3/8 wrench. Both are total junk. Float should be set at 1 7/16 // 1 1/4" is too high. ken ct. Sounds like a China made kit No matter where you got it.OMO ken ct. You will be doing it over again shortly. ken ct. Note. the spark valve is mounted on the back of the base and is external in nature.PV is mounted internally in base.

Last edited by ken ct; 04-03-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added info.