Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
TonyM

Default Re: 1937 Ford transmission rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-5window View Post
If it stuck in two gears at once it needs the SFIFTER fixed.nothing wrong with the gears. all you had to do isd take the top of the trans off and fix the forks, shift rails, plunger spring and ball. Put a couple washers behind the plunger spring to make sure it stays in gear. Just My Humble Opinion!!

It would have been great had it been just the shifter, but that is not the case here. The Synchro hub failed. The brass insert on the forward part of the sychro hub was found in the trans oil--in about a zillion teeny tiny little flakes. The trans oil resembled metal flake paint. When I examined the sychro hub, I discovered that the rear brass piece had detached from the hub itself and the forward brass piece had been totally destroyed. Plus, there was further apparent damage: Here are a couple of chunks of metal that were found in the trans oil.

Looking forward to a rebuild and re-install so I can get back to driving my 1937 Ford. Had trouble with the trans from day one. I went to driving this car nearly every day to no Ford V-8 driving. Can't wait to get back on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7802.jpg (67.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7801.jpg (65.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 10-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
flatheadz-forever

I don't mean to hijack this thread but what parts are required update a 37 trans to a 39 trans
flatheadz-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadz-forever View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but what parts are required update a 37 trans to a 39 trans
In general if your 1937 cluster and low gear are good they can be used. You will need as a minimum, 39up main drive, main shaft, syncro assem with brass rings, 2nd gear and a 21A, 2/3 gear shifter fork.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
36-5window
BANNED

WOW, you must be HARD on transmissions!!
will the gears and syncros from a later(1953) ford trans fit?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-5window View Post
WOW, you must be HARD on transmissions!!
will the gears and syncros from a later(1953) ford trans fit?
You really don't have to be HARD on a transmission to have this happen. Most of this damage probably happen during the cars previous ownership, plus once the damage to the gears occurred, and having the transmission lock up in two gears while traveling even at low speed, can cause all hell to break loose inside that gear box. I believe when Mac finishes going through that transmission it will be like starting out new.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
36-5window
BANNED

Maybe the guy who owned it before you was hard on it! I remember my dad driving on mud roads when I was a kid. He would put the trans in low or second and floor the throttle! I remember in his 1941 Ford 2 1/2 ton truck we drove to town when it looked like rain. we had 1 1/2 mile of mud road to plow , steep hills. Dad would floor the throttle in second gear. that flathead v8 roaring like hell! my mom praying to God, my dad cusing like Hell! I loved it!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
TonyM

Trans is ready for shipment to Van Pelts. I have been very busy plus I kinda of hurt myself (I am better now), so I am a few weeks behind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8480.jpg (66.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8481.jpg (58.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8482.jpg (50.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #28
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

There are lots of rebuilt ones for sale at around $350 on the various sites from time to time. That would give you a spare as well.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #29
Terry,OH

The shipping crate may weigh more than the transmission! Looks like it should be safe and sound unless my mail man touches it!!!
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
TonyM

Got my 1937 transmission back from Mac Van Pelt's yesterday afternoon.

Looks good. No time to un crate the trans. Mac sent me back the major parts that were damaged. If I can get a mid 40 degree temp day some time after the holidays, my buddy and I will put it in.

Didn't need all $1,300 for the Mac rebuild. Still have a few hundred left. Need a new floor mat since my original destroyed itself while waiting. Probably the biggest disappointment of the whole episode.

When I removed the floor mat, I carefully rolled it up and placed it in my truck for transport to the old car garage. Twenty four hours later, when I went to un roll the floor mat, I discovered that the weight of the floor mat caused the mat to collapse on itself; it collapsed into folds. When I went to un roll/un fold it, I discovered that there were creases where the mat had sunk into folds. When I unfolded the mat, the creases broke and separated.

I will try and preserve the rest of the floor mat in between two big pieces of cardboard or plywood so that I might be able to reinstall it one last time for Rouge try for the interior. A tall order--Just light handling causes it to break and tear. So we'll see. For now I will buy one of the new Dennis Carpenter mats that I have heard so much about.
Merry Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8651.jpg (70.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8650.jpg (53.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #31
TonyM

Still waiting to put in my Mac Van Pelt rebuilt Transmission in my 1937 Ford. My garage is just too cold and I have no heater. When I put it together I want to be able to drive it. Soon I hope.

My co-workers pitched in a total of $9.09 for the Tony M Transmission Fund. I am very appreciative. Don't sound like much, but I make more money than all of them so they are not thrilled with giving me their money. Happy to get the $9.09 from them. They like the car though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8771.jpg (42.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #32
gwmartin55

Mac is always reasonable. I use him on a regular basis and you can't predict price until getting into the parts needed. Highly recommend based on many rebuilds.
gwmartin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #33
TonyM

1937 Ford Transmission finally installed. At last the weather was mild enough to work out there. Thanks to my bud Mitch for the big help out. Mac Van Pelt rebuild. Looking forward to trying it out. The car is back on the ground this evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8806.jpg (76.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8809.jpg (50.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #34
TonyM

Finally able to get my car back together. The brutal winter really held me back. I installed the transmission last month but only now have I been able to get the whole car all back together. There were a couple minor glitches with the trans and gearshift tower but they were straightened out quickly (thanks Mac Van Pelt for taking time out of your very busy Monday morning to answer my questions). Looking forward to the test drive. Today it snowed in Illinois, so no test drive today.

Had a good laugh--I had put my shifter and tower together and they were put in neutral. I got out and tried to push the car. No go. What? I took apart the tower and shifter. I looked inside and made sure the synchro was in the right position and the shifter was in neutral. I put it all back together. Made sure the car was in neutral. Got out and attempted to push the car. Still would not budge. I stood there and thought about it for a few moments. I knew I put it all back together right. What in the heck was holding it up? Looked over and noticed that the parking brake was engaged. Released the parking brake and the car rolled. I was pushing against the brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8841.jpg (52.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8854.jpg (59.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8909.jpg (66.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8910.jpg (62.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8907.jpg (82.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8914.jpg (64.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #35
40cpe

I know you are glad to get it back together. Good luck on the test drive.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #36
Zeke...PA

I noticed you have a Southwind heater, operational? Does it heat OK, sorry off topic. Thanks Zeke
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #37
TonyM

The Southwind did not operate when I purchased the car. I disconnected the fuel line and eliminated the manifold attachment that fed it. I would have removed the whole thing but for the huge hole it would leave in my firewall/dash.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #38
TonyM

Transmission Accomplished!!! Test drive a success.

Thanks Mitch Markese, Tom Starcevich, Ray Kowal, Mike Mireles,
Alan, DavidJ and Mac Van Pelt.

I am storing this Mac Van Pelt quote for later use.

Van Pelt Quote:

Do the clutch test....engine idling, trans in neutral, clutch pedal up. Push clutch all the way to the floorboard and count to 20 slowly. Then carefully try to shift into first gear. If you get ANY gear crunch, the clutch is not adjusted correctly and is still spinning the trans gears.

Adjust the clutch so that you have 1 to 1-1/2" of free play at the top of the clutch travel. Then repeat the test. If all is correct, when you adjust and do the clutch test, it should improve the shifting problem.

Last edited by TonyM; 01-11-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #39
AnthonyG

Just bought a complete '39 tranny rebuilt ( no core ) by a good guy in Iowa. Cliff Tipton. Very reasonable tranny look and works great. a lot less than $1350. Tell him Tony Galletta sent you. Here's his e-mail [email protected] he's a real good guy.