Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
ldj1002

Default Model T been setting a few years

Helping a friend get his new T started after it has set a few years. Don't know how many. Previous owner died in 2009 but don't know how long before that he was unable to use it. I feel like 10+ years because the carb and sediment bowl was all stopped, rusted up. Any way got all fuel system working and trying to start. Just using thumb for compression #1 is pretty good 2 & 4 some but pretty low and 3 none. Thought I might start but no luck, just fired a couple times after priming cylinders.. There is no suction on carb so it can't pull any fuel up. I guess compression is too low. So off comes the head to have a look see. Any pointers?
L.D.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Model T been setting a few years

If you can't put a compression gauge on it and actually determine what the compression is and which cylinders are weak, then pull the head. I figure your looking at some sticky valves. While you've got the head off scrape all the carbon off the tops of the pistons, the valves and the rest of the combustion chamber. Pull the valve cover and grind the valves while your in there. It also can't hurt to clean up the water passages in the block. It would really be cool, if you've got good cylinders and your able to pull the pistons, go ahead and re-ring it too. Then you've stood a good chance of really improving the compression. At any rate I guess tour dealing with sticky valves.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
CharlieB

Shoot a few squirts of oil into the low cylinders. since your using your thumb as a gauge do it dry first then use the oil and do it again. If you get more compression it's probably the rings if it doesn't go up it's usually the valves. You never know they just might be stuck from sitting. This can give you an idea of what to expect before doing any work like pulling the head.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
redmodelt

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
Shoot a few squirts of oil into the low cylinders. since your using your thumb as a gauge do it dry first then use the oil and do it again. If you get more compression it's probably the rings if it doesn't go up it's usually the valves. You never know they just might be stuck from sitting. This can give you an idea of what to expect before doing any work like pulling the head.
Yup, can't agree more that this is the right way to go. But it's always a lot more fun to jump in too far right away without having any idea why you're doing it. But I guess if it was me I'd do what CharlieB is suggesting.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
coupe33

I find a lot of information just reading but this one I never realized. Thanks
coupe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
ldj1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe33 View Post
I find a lot of information just reading but this one I never realized. Thanks
Sorry I didn't give update.

Pulled head and unstuck #3 valves. Poured different stuff on top of cylinders and let sit a couple days. Head back on and got a little suction a carb. but still wouldn't start. It tried but wouldn't. So decided to push it to start. Did that and run maybe 10 or 15 min. From then on it will start with starter and compression is getting better all the time.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Dirttrack

Here is "How to take a Model T Ford out of mothballs" link.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...f%20mothballs/
Dirttrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
CharlieB

It's a great thing when some thing like this works out. While you might have found & freed the valve through the valve chamber with the cover off pulling the head always tells you more. Fresh oil & fresh fuel will do wonders for freeing up stuck "stuff" which is why it's running better with each try. I've been at this a long time (the trade in general I mean) and you learn fast that diving off the deep end first is time & $$. It's all down hill from here if you keep it simple.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote