Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
billfish

Default trans leak

The 3 speed manual transmission on my 1951 ford leaks a little at the rear seal where the drive shaft enters. Is there an additive that I could try the next time I top of the fluid that would swell the seals and save me some aggravation.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: trans leak

The seal might not be dry. There is a bushing in the tail housing that keeps the drive shaft yoke from wobbling. If the bushing wears to the point that the yoke doesn't run true the oil leaks around the seal.

The rear seal itself isn't hard to change. Jack up the rear of the car so the oil runs to the front. pry out the old seal and tap a new one in.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
billwill

Attenion Place jack stands under rar housing after jack up the rear thango under the car
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Mike51Merc

I'd replace the seal, and possibly the bushing, and maybe the yoke, before I'd put additives in the oil. Been there and done that.

I think these seals never really seal like on new cars. I also think these transmissions are very sensitive to over-filling the trans and parking on angles.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
ford3

save your self a lot of time and aggrevation, replace the seal at the least, check the bushing in trans tail housing if its worn replace it, check to see if there is a grove worn in the yoke, if so either replace it or find a sleeve that is pressed on the yoke to cover the grove, make sure you lube the lip of the seal and the yoke, if you dont the heat from the dry yoke will melt the seal lip and then your back to replacing the seal, o some fairly worn yokes you can remove the tension spring from inside the seal, the spring has one end that is twisted to a point, the other is not, find where the spring goes together untwist it, cut off about 1/4" and then wind the spring back wards and put the pointed end of spring in the other end of spring and let it twist itself back to gether, put the spring back in seal, now you have put more tension on the lip of the seal to help it against leaking, experiment with the old seal spring till you figure out how things work
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote