Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Dirttrack

Thumbs up Model B Ford Dipper Tray

I have a fully pressurized B engine that is being assembled. The previous owner still has the dipper tray in the oil pan, but there is a 1/2 inch hole drilled in each rod/dipper trough to allow the oil to quickly drain back into the pan. The rods are inserted with the dipper scoops plugged. Do I have to leave the dipper tray in the pan, or since the rods are inserted and pressurized, can I not install the dipper tray? I am using a modified pump for the full pressure oiling.
Dirttrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: Model B Ford Dipper Tray

How about splash lubrication to the cylinder walls? How is that going to happen without the dipper tray? Are the rods drilled to spray oil on the walls ? Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Dirttrack

I was thinking about that, but why would the previous owner drill the holes in the dipper troughs, wouldnt that keep them empty anyhow, or is the oil level enough to keep them full enough to spash the oil on the cylinder walls?
Dirttrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Greg way out West

Lightbulb Re: Model B Ford Dipper Tray

Hey Dirttrack,,,

I'ed leave the pan in place,, Just for the fact it has the baffel in the bottom part of the tray...You should have plenty of oil coming off the pressurize "Rod"..That's the way a modern engine lube's the cyl. wall...

I'ed run the oil pump shield they sell now too...

Greg out West,
Greg way out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
MAG

While we are talking B Dipper Trays, will a Model A Dipper Tray fit and function properly in a B Pan?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Back in the 70's or 80's Pinto's had piston and ring problems due to lack of lubrication. Holes needed to be drilled in the top side of the big end of the rods to spray oil onto the cylinders. As Gar said, "how are the cylinders going to get oiled"? The throw from the sides of the bearings may not be enough. I'd hate to have my rebuilt engine be the test engine for proper lube.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Richard in Anaheim CA

My pressurized engines also have a hole in the dipper tray. I have many miles on them and the oil leaking out of the rods seems to be plenty to lube the cylinder walls, cam etc.

Leaving the pan in place with the holes allows the dipper tray to act as a "windage tray" in addition to reducing the drag of the dippers splashing through the puddle of oil, a presumed horse power advantage, small as it may be.

The lower baffles may be an advantage to lubrication as mentioned previously. Some build a "dam" around the oil pump to prevent starving the oil pump on hard right turns like freeway on ramps.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
columbiA

Back in the 80s,I converted an A block to full pressure oiling with a drilled 33 CB shaft.I used a special oil pump & the dipper tray would no longer fit.I just left it out & had no problems & I didnt drill squirt holes in the rods.I put quite a few 1,000 miles on the engine before I sold it.These days,the 2-port Riley head is worth more than what I sold the whole engine for!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote