Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
old guy rich

Default Sway bar help

Hi guys, need help with the sway bar form shoebox central that I rec'd. No directions at all and it is much shorter on the bent ends than what's in the car now. 1950 Merc. Kit comes with "L" brackets, bolts with sleeves and a bunch of hardware, square tubing, etc. I called Shoebox and they aren't open on Sat. Anyone have a diagram that might help me? Thanks, old guy Rich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4132.jpg (65.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by old guy rich; 09-24-2016 at 05:17 PM.
old guy rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Sway bar help

The kit in effect alters the original system. The stabilizer can no longer attach to the suspension in the same location. The new links have to attach to the lower control arm but I'm not sure exactly where. The links are usually mounted vertically from the control arm up to the end of the stabilizer bar. Some of this stuff is more geared toward modified suspension set ups utilizing control arms & spindles from other later designs or dropped spindles. I don't know of any large diameter stabilizer bars that are a direct fit to the OEM suspension components.

It looks a lot like the one JAMCO has. http://jamcosuspension.com/products/...D2/80/sfID3/15

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-24-2016 at 03:38 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
old guy rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The kit in effect alters the original system. The stabilizer can no longer attach to the suspension in the same location. The new links have to attach to the lower control arm but I'm not sure exactly where. The links are usually mounted vertically from the control arm up to the end of the stabilizer bar. Some of this stuff is more geared toward modified suspension set ups utilizing control arms & spindles from other later designs or dropped spindles. I don't know of any large diameter stabilizer bars that are a direct fit to the OEM suspension components.

It looks a lot like the one JAMCO has. http://jamcosuspension.com/products/...D2/80/sfID3/15
Thanks, Rotowrench, mine looks like the 49-51 Merc kit at Jamco but I have more parts than is shown in their pic. Square tubing and "L" brkts.
All it should take is simple directions where to drill the holes, maybe a template. Thanks again. old guy
Old 09-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
rotorwrench

They probably add that stuff to aid in the alteration if needed. There is no place on most cars to level the frame out using hydraulic jacks but if a person could do that then they could use a plumb bob hung from the bolt hole in the tip of the bar down to the A arm frame to get a relatively accurate location to drill the hole. To be right truth full, I don't know if it would really have to be all that accurate though. Keep in mind, these things were made by folks to solve a problem and I don't know how much "engineering" went into the process other than garage engineering. Many of these old Mercs are being modified to lower them and such and there aren't enough of them out there for these Fab Shops to really cash in on. Fat Man and Chassis Engineering make a lot of stuff for this and one of them may have made these parts but I can't tell you for certain.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
old guy rich

Thanks rotowrench, I'll just wait til Monday and call to see if they have a template. I can eye-ball it if they have no instructions or templates. old guy.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

It does look like Jamco parts. Knowing how they operate you could have the wrong parts. I personally know a lot of Jamco stories. Wrong parts, poor tech support, etc. I really don't know how they stay in business.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Just looked at Shoebox Central, http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950...i-roll-bar-new
The use a different arrangement with short links.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
old guy rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Just looked at Shoebox Central, http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950...i-roll-bar-new
The use a different arrangement with short links.
JSeery, that link is for a Ford, not a Merc. My kit does not look like that, it has shorter ends. Thanks for the interest, I'm going to wait and call them tomorrow. old guy.