Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2024, 08:38 PM   #1
Dirtslinger

Default oil pump gear

I've ran and broken in my 8ba on an engine stand, I have very good oil pressure but I've read that the oil pump gear can be installed backwards but still work for a period of time before one ends up with no oil pressure if installed incorrectly. How long would that take? Should I pull the cover and post a pic to confirm it is on correct before I install the engine in the car?
Dirtslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:29 AM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: oil pump gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtslinger View Post
I've ran and broken in my 8ba on an engine stand, I have very good oil pressure but I've read that the oil pump gear can be installed backwards but still work for a period of time before one ends up with no oil pressure if installed incorrectly. How long would that take? Should I pull the cover and post a pic to confirm it is on correct before I install the engine in the car?
Yes, check it since there is some doubt. It's very easy to check now and I would imagine it's impossible once in the vehicle. With the offset on that gear it is likely on correctly or it would have looked very strange with partial engagement of the teeth, but pull it anyways.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:29 AM   #3
Automotive Stud

I had one installed backwards, it had zero oil pressure. I would say if you have oil pressure it's installed correctly.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:05 AM   #4
GB SISSON

Or just an 1/8" strip on the edge of each gear is engaged, and you're on borrowed time. Easy to make a new gasket if required. And I guess of course you need to get behind the flywheel and that's a pain, but... I have one of those gears on my bench. I will look and see how it would act if backwards.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-07-2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:48 AM   #5
GB SISSON

Here's a gear I rejected on my current build. With a tape measure I find the gear is about 7/16" across the teeth and so is the offset. But my block with ny good gear installed is 3' away, so it's easy to compare things as the cover isn't installed yet. If you have your gear backwards, (and now I can definately see if the cam wasn't in yet that would be easy to do), the two gears would just graze each other. But in my case, the cam gear protrudes past the outward face of the idler gear by 1/16". If your cam is like mine, your gears would mesh by 1/16" and you'd have that good oil pressure. But not for long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gear 1.jpg (36.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg gear 2.jpg (32.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:06 AM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Here's a gear I rejected on my current build. With a tape measure I find the gear is about 7/16" across the teeth and so is the offset. But my block with ny good gear installed is 3' away, so it's easy to compare things as the cover isn't installed yet. If you have your gear backwards, (and now I can definately see if the cam wasn't in yet that would be easy to do), the two gears would just graze each other. But in my case, the cam gear protrudes past the outward face of the idler gear by 1/16". If your cam is like mine, your gears would mesh by 1/16" and you'd have that good oil pressure. But not for long.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:50 PM   #7
Dirtslinger

Thanks GB! I'll get to it in the next few days and report back. I have one more question: While installing the motor in my 49 Tudor, should I attach the trans and install it together? And wheres the best location for bolts to attach the chain to? I took the motor out separately from the trans.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:15 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Thanks GB! I'll get to it in the next few days and report back. I have one more question: While installing the motor in my 49 Tudor, should I attach the trans and install it together? And wheres the best location for bolts to attach the chain to? I took the motor out separately from the trans.
Funny, I'm not the guy to answer that because I was gonna ask the same thing about my new engine with it's T-5. All at once or seperate? Of course the pick point for the chain will depend on that response.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:27 PM   #9
Dirtslinger

Hey Im also installing a (mustang) t5 on the back of my 8ba, besides a cam its the only upgrade....
Old 05-09-2024, 07:03 AM   #10
marko39

Quote:
i use a short piece of chain bolted to opposit corners of intake man., carb must be off. this way you can choose where to attach lift chain for different angles.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote